“Best Hotel Ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Le Germain Calgary
Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
“Best Hotel Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

My Fiancee and i spent a night at Le Germain when on a trip to calgary for a concert. It was an absolutly amazing experience from the moment we arrived. Loved the Modern decor and atmosphere of this hote. The room was beautiful and the massive rain shower in the bathroom was incredible. The most comfortable bed i have ever slept on, and they even have a place on their website where you can order the same beds, linen, and pillows. We had one issue with a ziplock bag of rotten vegetables that someone had left in the mini bar and the hair dryer did not work, both these were taken care of immediatly and a personally written letter and some chocolates were delivered to our room. Very impressed, BOOK THIS HOTEL! you will not be disappointed.

1 Thank edmontontraveller30
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Hello edmontontraveller30,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We truly appreciate all the wonderful feedback. We wanted to apologize for the vegetables and the hair dryer issues. We were happy to read that they were taken care of right away. Once again, thanks for the feedback and please let me know if we can be of any assistance.

mschaay@germaincalgary.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed two nights in a deluxe room in March 2012. This is now our favorite hotel in Calgary. The room was high-end, large, clean, modern, and very nice. The bathroom was large and exquisite with a rainshower and a separate room for the toilet. The room is extremely well laid out and there is room for suitcases in the closet, as well as ample space for toiletry bags and travel items in the bathroom.
We slept quite well as the bed was very comfortable. Great value. We got a complimentary continental breakfast each morning which was very good, and wifi is free (wireless and/or cable). Valet parking was included in our package which was very handy. It is easy to get to by car, as 9th Avenue is on the edge of the downtown area. This also makes it a great location when leaving downtown.
In addition to the ease of access, this is also a great location for amenities. There are numerous restaurants near-by, including Charcut (in the hotel), Divino’s, Rush and Murietta’s. The East end of the Stephen Avenue Mall shopping district is only one block away. If you are visiting for the Stampede or a hockey game, the Stampede grounds are only a 15 minute walk or one LRT stop away. Whenever we are in Calgary again, we will stay here.

1 Thank JMB
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

I love surprise touches - no-ask upgrade to a large corner suite, hand-written welcome note by chef concierge Amanda and a small tin of complimentary chocolates, a bathtub with a faucet in the ceiling... ?

Hotel Le Germain reminds me of a certain 'chic/modern' Starwood brand - which is ideal for my tastes. There's dimmer mood lighting in hallways, a pleasantly pervasive fragrance in the air (sandalwood?) and well-groomed/mannered staff who were unfailingly courteous.

Check-in was smooth and simple (thank you, Yuko) and the card key access system is the friendly proximity sensor kind. My room (706) was spacious and furnished comfortably. The bathroom was large and galley-style with sliding doors, 2 sinks, separate tub, toilet room, and rain shower. The bed/pillows/linens... I slept for 8 hours straight and that is very unusual for me - they were as good as 'heavenly'.

The hotel's restaurant is Charcut headed by Top Chef Canada competitor Connie DeSousa. There was a complimentary continental breakfast served on the 2nd floor in the morning that I would have considered paying for.

I think my least favourite part of Hotel Le Germain would be the less than impressive lobby. The small lounge area looks forced and, while I understand the desire for some sort of division in the space, the artsy installation at the entrance was annoying to have to walk (the 4 steps) around in order to get to the elevator. But really, that's just aesthetic nitpickery.

Highly recommended. I would definitely stay at Hotel Le Germain if my path ever crosses Calgary again. Thank you for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012 via mobile

My wife and I visited Le Germain last weekend for a little birthday "getaway". It was our second visit and the hotel did not disappoint. The rooms are meticulous, perfectly laid out and feature world class amenities. The staff is professional and went above and beyond in helping make or weekend special. If you are looking for something extraordinary, stay at Le Germain, they really are the best.

Our only disapointment was dinner at Ruth's Chris...elegantly overpriced and mediocre quality...go see Connie and her team at the great Charcut....they create memorable experiences

Stayed March 2012
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Hello Coolcanuck67,

We just wanted to thank you for the most amazing review. Please let me know if we can ever be of any assistance in the future. Look forward to having you stay with us again.

Thanks again

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Travelled to YYC for business and finally had a chance to stay at Le Germain. Fantastic experience. Helpful staff, wonderful room and I enjoyed some time in the lounge with friends. It is close to numerous restaurants on Stephen Avenue and major cultural attractions. The rainfall shower was a fantastic way to get my morning off to a solid start.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank amusicalchap
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Beautifully appointed modern hotel in the heart of downtown Calgary. The first time I stayed in room 1005 and just loved it.

This time, I was on a lower floor but they moved me to a higher floor so I could get the same room layout. I also wanted a quiet room away from street noise. I bet the other rooms are better but I was in love with my room! The staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The atmosphere is like an upscale W on steroids... but 10 times better. I'm a starwood's gold member but choose to stay here vs. the Westin up the street. The hotel is not pretentious at all. The breakfast room which is included has everything you could want and more. Lovely fruits, pastries, cheese, cereals, organic yogurts, eggs etc. The restaurant in the hotel Charcut grill is one of the best restaurants in Calgary..I ate there twice.
Location is also a plus... walking distance to shopping, restaurants, etc.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank casamoir
Hello casamoir,

We just want to thank you for the wonderful review. We truly appreciate the feed back and we were excited to share this review with our team. Thanks again and if I can ever be of any assistance please let me know.

United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

Great location opposite the Calgary tower, nice hotel - very modern feel, spacious rooms and good service. Quite expensive - 35 dollars a day for parking, and they charge for the Nespresso in the rooms. Would certainly come back. We stayed in a Deluxe King room - nice and roomy for 2.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jimsquirrel
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Hello jimsquirrel,

Thank you for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. We understand how the parking can be perceived as expensive. Our rates are very competitive for the downtown core and other properties. We also have a weekend package that includes parking. We offer complimentary coffee in our lobby lounge and breakfast room. We apologize that we did not make you aware of the complimentary coffee. Once again, thank you for the review and please let me know if I can help with anything else.