“first class hotel... and we didn't even stay the night”

Hotel Le Germain Calgary
Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My wife and I booked one night at the Le Germain Hotel in downtown Calgary because we were going to a wine festival and thought it would be fun to stay at the hotel and not worry about driving home. My wife had a really bad reaction to some of the food at the wine festival and we ended up rushing home the same night so she could get some immodium and be more comfortable. In our haste... we left some electronics behind in the room. Phoned the hotel, asked them to recover our electronics, which they did. They also asked why we weren't staying the night, told them about my wife... and amazingly, they waived the bill. Wow! I didn't even ask them to waive it... was very impressed. The room was first rate, great views and very contemporary... and the lounge on the main floor is one of the best downtown for a classy elegant atmosphere. The front desk staff were incredibly helpful. Can guarantee you that at the next wine fest... we'll be staying here. Thank you very much Le Germain for being so classy!!! It is so easy to get jaded in our modern world and to be treated so well is a reminder that great hotels and great staff still exist.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DHSS
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Hello DHSS,

Thank you for the wonderful comments, we appreciate the feedback. Hope you're wife feels better. We look forward to seeing you again.

Thanks

Rooms Division Manager

There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Germain Calgary

Reviewed 17 April 2012

I always used to stay at the Fairmont Pallister but was forced to stay at Le Germain during stampede week because it was fully booked. The standard room at the Germain is nearly double the size as the ones at the Pallister. Plus I find the the bathrooms at the Pallister are very small I don't have enough room to put all my make-up and curling irons. The bathrooms at Le Germain are huge, even in the standard room. There is plenty of space and a gorgeous shower. The Value for this hotel is way better then what your getting at the Pallister. The Pallister is completely out dated, the rooms are small and crammed. But at Le Germain there is plently of space, it is also new and very modern. I look forward to staying here in the next upcoming weeks, becoming a resident owner and trying out the new spa!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Caye_12
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I've been at this property a couple of times before. The location is exceptional, only a block away from Stephen Ave and transit. Right across the street from Calgary tower and close to everything. Rooms are very modern and the hotel is kept clean. The attached steakhouse is excellent but not inexpensive, but that shouldn't surprise anyone. Staff is friendly and check in and out was fast. Included breakfast was OK and it is implied to tip the staff which I actually did because they do bring you coffee and keep your cup filled. Only issues I have is that the self parking is quite costly, around $30 for 1 night. Valet parking is complimentary so make sure you use that as it's still cheaper even if you tip. I would also recommend not spending extra for a deluxe room over a superior room. The only real difference is a tub. In the future when I stay I'll just stay in a basic room. A pool would be nice and their fitness room was quite underwhelming.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room it's best to not face the street. Ask for a north or west exposure but...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Slidebite

Hello 9mmforever,

We wanted to thank you for the great review. We really do appreciate the feedback about the hotel and our staff. As you know, we have packages that do include valet parking. We are always happy to provide valet service as a convenience for our guests. The Fitness Centre renovations are almost complete. During your next stay, I know you will be much happier with our much improved Fitness Centre. If you need anything else at all please do not hesitate to let us know.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Overall this hotel is great. Staff, location and comfort. The only complaint and the only reason why we wouldn't stay there again is that it is impersonal. Meaning, to charge for coffee in the room when your paying a premium rate a night is not right. Other hotels we have stayed at have been equally as beautiful but, have a nice coffee maker in the room for use, even a bottle of water that they don't charge $5.00 for. Parking that is included. Little touches like fruit or cookies at the front desk go a long way. This hotel has some things to learn about making your guests feel welcome!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Teren_11
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Hello Teren_11,

We wanted to thank you for the review and the feedback you have provided. Our goal is to make every guest feel welcome. We wanted to let you know that we do provide complimentary coffee in our Central 899 lounge and in our breakfast room. We do not have bottled water in the rooms as part of our Green Initiatives. We are the only hotel in Calgary to be awarded with 5 prestigious keys as part of the Green Key program. We have water carafes in all guest rooms to encourage guests to utilize our clean water supply. We also have packages that do include parking that can be booked, particularly over weekends. Once again, thanks for the review and we hope to see you again. Please feel free to contact myself directly for the next booking and we can discuss options to make your stay an even better one.

Thanks

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Beautiful hotel and beautiful people, I felt way too out of place. An incredible hotel - only minor complaint was the noise from the street, but wouldn't let that affect a future stay. Got into the hotel late (11 pm) but had called ahead to warn them so they wouldn't give my room away. Check-in was a snap, and the standard 12-noon check-out was very nice.

Will certainly stay there on future travel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank arif_a786
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I was staying at Le Germain on business and found it to be a very business friendly hotel. It has a good, modern feel to it and the staff were helpful and polite. The gym was of moderate size but was well equipped and did not feel crowded despite being well used. Breakfast was functional but I really like the idea of a refectory style table in the middle of the room that can be shared by singles. I hate sitting at a table on my own at breakfast - the idea of a shared table is really good.

The bedrooms were functional with lots of electrical sockets and a modern feel. However, the lighting and decor made them feel very dark. One small point is that the sink in the bathroom did not appear to have a plug. Maybe it's the modern design and I just couldn't find it but it made shaving very inconvenient.

Overall a good hotel and I will stay there again on future trips to Calgary.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JohnsonsCanada
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Hello JohnsonsCanada,

We wanted to thank you for the review and the feedback you shared. We are currently looking into additional floor lamps that will be placed in our guest rooms. We also have rooms that are South facing that create a lot more light. If you could contact me directly, We will ensure you are booked into these rooms for future stays. We also have sink stoppers available at the front desk, sorry you were not informed. Once again, thank you for the review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

My Fiancee and i spent a night at Le Germain when on a trip to calgary for a concert. It was an absolutly amazing experience from the moment we arrived. Loved the Modern decor and atmosphere of this hote. The room was beautiful and the massive rain shower in the bathroom was incredible. The most comfortable bed i have ever slept on, and they even have a place on their website where you can order the same beds, linen, and pillows. We had one issue with a ziplock bag of rotten vegetables that someone had left in the mini bar and the hair dryer did not work, both these were taken care of immediatly and a personally written letter and some chocolates were delivered to our room. Very impressed, BOOK THIS HOTEL! you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank edmontontraveller30

Hello edmontontraveller30,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We truly appreciate all the wonderful feedback. We wanted to apologize for the vegetables and the hair dryer issues. We were happy to read that they were taken care of right away. Once again, thanks for the feedback and please let me know if we can be of any assistance.