Hotel Le Germain Calgary
US$146
US$137
US$228
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus Port O'Call Hotel(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$126
All reviewscharcut restaurantnespresso machinemolton brown toiletriesrain showerwalk in closetvalet parkingboutique hotelgreat hotelmodern designcontinental breakfastcorner roomironing boardheart of downtownshower headstephen avenuevalet servicecomfortable bed
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights on business for the first time. I had a corner room on the 12th floor and the room is very spacious with modern decorations. The bed was very soft with 4 down pillows. Bathroom was very large and modern with a exteremely large rain shower which was great. The whole room was very clean and I am very picky with regards to things like dust and mold in the bathrooms. I loved the desk area next to the windows with all the connections you could need.

I used the fitness room 3 times while I was here, but it was not complete as it was being renovated. They had 4 treadmills, 2 eliptical machines, 1 bike machine and a lot of free weights. I know that it was being renovated, but there was dust from all the work being done on the machines and weights. There was also some sort of grease on the handles of the weights which I had to wipe down to use. I suspect that once the fitness room is complete, it should be very nice.

While I gave an excellent rating to the room and hotel staff, there are a few little things that I wished they had to make this an exceptional hotel:
1.) Slippers - Every high end hotel has always had slippers, but they don't.
2.) Drinking Water - They do not have free bottles of water in the room and there is no information on where you should get drinking water as the hotel states that the water is filtered somewhere.
3.) Headphones - The sign in the fitness room states you have to go to the front desk to get headphones, but the fitness room is on the 13th floor. So you have to go all the way back down to get headphones.
4.) TV - The flat panel is mounted to the wall and you are not able to angle it towards the desk or any other areas of the room.

These are only minor issues, but they do separate the hotel from achieving what I would consider the exceptional rating.

Room Tip: I like the larger corner rooms on the higher floors.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Norman M
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Hello Norman M,

Thank you for the great review, we truly appreciate it. We just wanted to let you know that we do have slippers and bottled water available upon request. I have already added this request to your profile so that for future stays we will ensure that this is already in the room. We really like the suggestion about the head phones; we are going to be working on a solution to this. The renovations are near completion and everything will be top notch there shortly. Once again, thank you for the great review and we look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed 21 April 2012

My wife and I booked one night at the Le Germain Hotel in downtown Calgary because we were going to a wine festival and thought it would be fun to stay at the hotel and not worry about driving home. My wife had a really bad reaction to some of the food at the wine festival and we ended up rushing home the same night so she could get some immodium and be more comfortable. In our haste... we left some electronics behind in the room. Phoned the hotel, asked them to recover our electronics, which they did. They also asked why we weren't staying the night, told them about my wife... and amazingly, they waived the bill. Wow! I didn't even ask them to waive it... was very impressed. The room was first rate, great views and very contemporary... and the lounge on the main floor is one of the best downtown for a classy elegant atmosphere. The front desk staff were incredibly helpful. Can guarantee you that at the next wine fest... we'll be staying here. Thank you very much Le Germain for being so classy!!! It is so easy to get jaded in our modern world and to be treated so well is a reminder that great hotels and great staff still exist.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DHSS

Hello DHSS,

Thank you for the wonderful comments, we appreciate the feedback. Hope you're wife feels better. We look forward to seeing you again.

Thanks

Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 17 April 2012

I always used to stay at the Fairmont Pallister but was forced to stay at Le Germain during stampede week because it was fully booked. The standard room at the Germain is nearly double the size as the ones at the Pallister. Plus I find the the bathrooms at the Pallister are very small I don't have enough room to put all my make-up and curling irons. The bathrooms at Le Germain are huge, even in the standard room. There is plenty of space and a gorgeous shower. The Value for this hotel is way better then what your getting at the Pallister. The Pallister is completely out dated, the rooms are small and crammed. But at Le Germain there is plently of space, it is also new and very modern. I look forward to staying here in the next upcoming weeks, becoming a resident owner and trying out the new spa!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Caye_12
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I've been at this property a couple of times before. The location is exceptional, only a block away from Stephen Ave and transit. Right across the street from Calgary tower and close to everything. Rooms are very modern and the hotel is kept clean. The attached steakhouse is excellent but not inexpensive, but that shouldn't surprise anyone. Staff is friendly and check in and out was fast. Included breakfast was OK and it is implied to tip the staff which I actually did because they do bring you coffee and keep your cup filled. Only issues I have is that the self parking is quite costly, around $30 for 1 night. Valet parking is complimentary so make sure you use that as it's still cheaper even if you tip. I would also recommend not spending extra for a deluxe room over a superior room. The only real difference is a tub. In the future when I stay I'll just stay in a basic room. A pool would be nice and their fitness room was quite underwhelming.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room it's best to not face the street. Ask for a north or west exposure but your view will suffer.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Slidebite

Hello 9mmforever,

We wanted to thank you for the great review. We really do appreciate the feedback about the hotel and our staff. As you know, we have packages that do include valet parking. We are always happy to provide valet service as a convenience for our guests. The Fitness Centre renovations are almost complete. During your next stay, I know you will be much happier with our much improved Fitness Centre. If you need anything else at all please do not hesitate to let us know.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Overall this hotel is great. Staff, location and comfort. The only complaint and the only reason why we wouldn't stay there again is that it is impersonal. Meaning, to charge for coffee in the room when your paying a premium rate a night is not right. Other hotels we have stayed at have been equally as beautiful but, have a nice coffee maker in the room for use, even a bottle of water that they don't charge $5.00 for. Parking that is included. Little touches like fruit or cookies at the front desk go a long way. This hotel has some things to learn about making your guests feel welcome!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Teren_11
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Hello Teren_11,

We wanted to thank you for the review and the feedback you have provided. Our goal is to make every guest feel welcome. We wanted to let you know that we do provide complimentary coffee in our Central 899 lounge and in our breakfast room. We do not have bottled water in the rooms as part of our Green Initiatives. We are the only hotel in Calgary to be awarded with 5 prestigious keys as part of the Green Key program. We have water carafes in all guest rooms to encourage guests to utilize our clean water supply. We also have packages that do include parking that can be booked, particularly over weekends. Once again, thanks for the review and we hope to see you again. Please feel free to contact myself directly for the next booking and we can discuss options to make your stay an even better one.

Thanks