Hotel Le Germain Calgary
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Fairmont Palliser(Calgary)
Hotel Arts(Calgary)
  • Restaurant
All reviewscharcut restaurantnespresso machinemolton brown toiletriesrain showerwalk in closetvalet parkingboutique hotelgreat hotelmodern designcontinental breakfastcorner roomironing boardheart of downtownshower headstephen avenuevalet servicecomfortable bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Le Germain is a very posh and modern hotel with sleek furniture. It's very spacious and well laid out. Bathroom is huge and reminds me of how they do it in China (by the way, the Fairmont Pacific Rim in Vancouver is very similar and is the best hotel I've stayed at in Canada but Le Germain is a close 2nd both being good value for what you get). Big screen tv, free wifi and energy efficient lighting (you have to insert your room key to turn on the lights).

It's located ~5 minutes from Banker's Hall and there's sports bars, restaurants etc. nearby. My company has a corporate rate there for ~$260/night I think, which is very reasonable given that Calgary always seems to be a pricey place for hotels. While I've stayed here several times I haven't had a chance to try out the gym facilities but I suspect it is top notch. The restaurant is nice too.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Gung_ho_in_TO
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

Hello Gung_ho_in_TO,

We just wanted to thank you for a wonderful review. We really appreciate the feedback. Thanks again.

Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here for one night with colleagues.
We were given a great rate and certainly would stay here or at other Le Germain hotels again. The rooms are super mod but cozy. They're huge and you will want for nothing - except maybe to stay another night. They feel like a SoHo loft and are about the size of a small apartment.

The bathrooms are stunning and the walk-in rain shower was spectacular. I see those shower heads have made a few other reviews. No surprise there.

The restaurants were fine- staff very helpful and knowledgeable. Location was excellent. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank HaliTimes
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights on business for the first time. I had a corner room on the 12th floor and the room is very spacious with modern decorations. The bed was very soft with 4 down pillows. Bathroom was very large and modern with a exteremely large rain shower which was great. The whole room was very clean and I am very picky with regards to things like dust and mold in the bathrooms. I loved the desk area next to the windows with all the connections you could need.

I used the fitness room 3 times while I was here, but it was not complete as it was being renovated. They had 4 treadmills, 2 eliptical machines, 1 bike machine and a lot of free weights. I know that it was being renovated, but there was dust from all the work being done on the machines and weights. There was also some sort of grease on the handles of the weights which I had to wipe down to use. I suspect that once the fitness room is complete, it should be very nice.

While I gave an excellent rating to the room and hotel staff, there are a few little things that I wished they had to make this an exceptional hotel:
1.) Slippers - Every high end hotel has always had slippers, but they don't.
2.) Drinking Water - They do not have free bottles of water in the room and there is no information on where you should get drinking water as the hotel states that the water is filtered somewhere.
3.) Headphones - The sign in the fitness room states you have to go to the front desk to get headphones, but the fitness room is on the 13th floor. So you have to go all the way back down to get headphones.
4.) TV - The flat panel is mounted to the wall and you are not able to angle it towards the desk or any other areas of the room.

These are only minor issues, but they do separate the hotel from achieving what I would consider the exceptional rating.

Room Tip: I like the larger corner rooms on the higher floors.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Norman M
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Hello Norman M,

Thank you for the great review, we truly appreciate it. We just wanted to let you know that we do have slippers and bottled water available upon request. I have already added this request to your profile so that for future stays we will ensure that this is already in the room. We really like the suggestion about the head phones; we are going to be working on a solution to this. The renovations are near completion and everything will be top notch there shortly. Once again, thank you for the great review and we look forward to seeing you again

mschaay@germaincalgary.com

Reviewed 21 April 2012

My wife and I booked one night at the Le Germain Hotel in downtown Calgary because we were going to a wine festival and thought it would be fun to stay at the hotel and not worry about driving home. My wife had a really bad reaction to some of the food at the wine festival and we ended up rushing home the same night so she could get some immodium and be more comfortable. In our haste... we left some electronics behind in the room. Phoned the hotel, asked them to recover our electronics, which they did. They also asked why we weren't staying the night, told them about my wife... and amazingly, they waived the bill. Wow! I didn't even ask them to waive it... was very impressed. The room was first rate, great views and very contemporary... and the lounge on the main floor is one of the best downtown for a classy elegant atmosphere. The front desk staff were incredibly helpful. Can guarantee you that at the next wine fest... we'll be staying here. Thank you very much Le Germain for being so classy!!! It is so easy to get jaded in our modern world and to be treated so well is a reminder that great hotels and great staff still exist.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DHSS

Hello DHSS,

Thank you for the wonderful comments, we appreciate the feedback. Hope you're wife feels better. We look forward to seeing you again.

Thanks

Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 17 April 2012

I always used to stay at the Fairmont Pallister but was forced to stay at Le Germain during stampede week because it was fully booked. The standard room at the Germain is nearly double the size as the ones at the Pallister. Plus I find the the bathrooms at the Pallister are very small I don't have enough room to put all my make-up and curling irons. The bathrooms at Le Germain are huge, even in the standard room. There is plenty of space and a gorgeous shower. The Value for this hotel is way better then what your getting at the Pallister. The Pallister is completely out dated, the rooms are small and crammed. But at Le Germain there is plently of space, it is also new and very modern. I look forward to staying here in the next upcoming weeks, becoming a resident owner and trying out the new spa!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business