“Great location for the Calgary Stampede”

Hotel Le Germain Calgary
Ranked #9 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Great hotel in the core of downtown Calgary. Rooms were spacious with comfortable beds and linens. The price was a bit high but this was due to the Stampede. A couple of issues though:
1) their attached restaurant was closed on Sunday - I found this very odd for a hotel
2) numerous issues with the bill at checkout that should have been more closely monitored. We were charged room tax on breakfast, even though we had it in the main dining area and they tried to charge for several nights valet parking when we only had one night.
But these were minor issues and overall, I'd recommend the hotel. It's a quick 10-15 min walk to the Stampede grounds

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank TorontoTravelGirl09
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Hello TorontoTravelGirl09,

Thank you for the great review, we really appreciate it. We were happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel. We apologize for the billing issues that you experienced at check out. We always try to ensure that everything is well organized for check out, as that is the last impression of our hotel. We were disappointed to see that was not the case with your check out experience.

CHARCUT (Award winning restaurant attached to hotel) is closed on Sunday's for lunch but is open for dinner. Due to our location we are fortunate enough to have many other alternatives for a Sunday brunch/lunch. During your next stay please feel free to chat with our Concierge for other great options.

Once again thank you for the great review.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

This hotel was a fantastic surprise. We made a spontaneous decision to head down to Calgary for the Stampede this weekend. We were looking for anything we could stay in but choices were limited and we decided it would be best to stay right downtown, great decision! We were looking at airport hotel originally, but this hotel was at a pretty similar cost (cheaper once you factor in cab rides), so that is why we chose this property. We were a little distraught when we got there as we had our little puppy with us(bad kennel experience) and we didn't expect to have him there and we also had no clue where to park. We then parked in some 2 hour parking spot until we figured it out, but is there self parking or is it all valet? We were not sure so we just paid for the valet. Once we got into the hotel everyone was so friendly and helped us out a lot when we asked where to go or what to do as we don't spend too much time ever in Calgary and never been to the Stampede. We got into the room and it was spectacular! I also work in the hotel world and this was a great experience. With having our dog there, there was a nice little surprise with a really nice dog bed, dog treats and bowls. This made me feel a lot better about having our pup there. The bed was great, the bathroom unbelievable and great decor. Loved the smart desk as well if I really did need to use it. Continental Breakfast was good and healthy, which I love. Only thing was, why do I have to pay for coffee in my guestroom? I do understand the mini bar stuff, but really coffee?

All and all great experience and I would recommend this to anyone looking for something special the next time they are in Calgary.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Megan P

Hello Megan P,

Thank you very much for the fantastic review. We really appreciate it. We just want to mention that we do offer complimentary coffee in our lobby lounge and in our breakfast room. Sorry that we did not make you aware of that. Once again thank you for the review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

An excellent choice for access to the business core and close to good restaurants on Stephen Ave. The hotel is new and ultramodern. Furniture and fixtures are at a very high standard and are matched by the level of service provided by the front desk and concierge staff. The bed was exceptionally comfortable and the room is very quiet. The wifi is strong and stable. The breakfast has a reasonable selection with very good fresh fruit and baked items.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LarsNorth
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

Hello LarsNorth,

We just wanted to thank you for the fantastic review. We really appreciate the comments and thank you for the feedback. Please let us know if we can assist with anything in the future.

Thanks again

Reviewed 14 July 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights last week - a combination of work and pleasure - to experience the famous Stampede for the first time. The location is excellent - 30 seconds from Stephen Avenue Walk which was closed to traffic and became a wonderful hub of pedestrian activity with lots of restaurants, bars, shops and entertainment. There's a Winners, The Bay and Holt Renfrew all within a few blocks, and a Starbucks across the street. The hotel was also a 10 minute walk to the Stampede grounds which was super handy since cabs were scarce during the city's busiest week.

We had stayed at Le Germain in Toronto (Maple Leaf Square location) and loved it. The same holds true here with the modern design aesthetic, the drop dead gorgeous bathrooms with both a rainshower and a hand-held shower, and the amazingly comfortable bed, pillows and sheets...you'll never sleep so well!

The breakfast is excellent: steel cut oatmeal, toast and mini scones and croissants and banana bread, organic yogurt with four choices of granola, fruit (both chopped up and whole), sliced ham, hard boiled eggs, several cheeses, and spiced nuts. No complaints here! The breakfast staff are also very friendly and professional and do a great job of remembering your beverage choice (coffee, tea, etc) and will automatically bring it to you the next morning. I really liked that touch.

However, I can't give this hotel 5 stars because of a couple of things. First, we were paying close to $500 per night for our room...and I still have to pay $2.50 to have an in-room cup of coffee...really?! It was one of those new individual 'pod' coffee machines but I have to admit that I still felt nickel and dimed =( Second, the gym is actually really nice and well equipped and full of natural light, but the long hallway leading to the gym is truly hideous - it's like walking to your doom! It's so narrow and dark and houses all the noisy mechanical equipment...surely a bright coat of hallway paint wouldn't hurt? I realize this is a minor issue but it would help going to the gym feel more welcoming.

My final and most serious complaint is about the front desk and concierge staff. Yes, they're young and friendly, but not very knowledgeable. And Stampede is such a crucial time with the city full of tourists, it's a shame that they are not better trained. My boyfriend was working one day so I went to the concierge desk and said, "I've never been here before - what are some Calgary sights you can suggest?" The young man said, "Well, the Stampede is in town." Okaaaay, done that - what else? And he couldn't suggest anything else...not one thing! Wow. So I finally said, "Tell me about this 17th Ave that I've been hearing about. What's there?" He stammered and finally told me to talk to his female colleague who gave me a better run-down on the different neighbourhoods and the shopping options. But you know what? Neither of them asked me the obvious question: "What sorts of things are you interested in?" Turns out the Art Gallery of Calgary was a mere block away, as was the Glenbow Museum, but I found that out on my own. And Prince's Island is a gem and great for walking or biking. Please suggest that to other tourists in the future!

On another day, my boyfriend and I stopped to ask about a new area called East Village. (We are both in the real estate development industry, thus very interested in this huge waterfront revitalization project.) The young lady at the concierge desk was totally dismissive: "Oh, there's nothing there. It's a big construction site." I persisted (I was told by my friend to check it out) and she reluctantly gave us cursory directions to the area. We walked along the river (beautiful - a must do in this city!) to the Discovery Centre and it was fascinating and well worth it. The concierge at the Toronto Le Germain were stellar - this is something that Calgary staff should aspire to.

Don't get me wrong - this is a very good hotel and I would recommend staying here. And the fact that the deliciously fabulous Charcut restaurant adjoins the hotel lobby is definitely an added plus! Ate here twice and was thoroughly impressed.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank HoneyGirl88
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2012

Hello HoneyGirl88,

We want to thank you for the review and the feedback that you have shared with us. The corridor to the Fitness Centre will actually be renovated in the near future. We completely agree with your comments and are moving towards rectifying them. We do offer complimentary coffee in our lobby lounge and in our breakfast room. Sorry if we did not make you aware of this at check in.

We were surprised to see your comments about the Concierge and Front Desk staff. We were happy to see that you mentioned how friendly they are, but that is only part of the position. We really work on educating/training our staff. We even do a walk through the neighborhood for all new hires to make them comfortable with the area. From your comments, we are actually going to create a Concierge Quiz on the city of Calgary that each employee must complete moving forward. We feel this will help ensure that our staff is knowledgeable and trained to ask the right questions. In the past, I myself was a Chef Concierge and was a full member of Clefs d'Or. So we truly understand the importance of this position and properly trained staff.

Once again thank you for the review and we really appreciate the feedback. Please let me know if you need anything else. mschaay@germaincalgary.com.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

Great modern hotel in central location. Rooms are modern with all facilities, gym is well equipped on the top floor of the hotel. No real views as the hotel is surrounded by downtown high rise residences and office buildings. Not a problem for us as the location to The Stampede (10 mins walk) and downtown restaurants (5 mins walk) make up for this. Bathrooms are especially nice, clean and functional (no bath if this is important to you). Only downer is they want $2.50 for the in-room Nespresso coffee, really!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CycleDave
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Booked into Le Germain based on others feedback on Trip Advisor. Stayed in a King Superior room, even though offered to upgrade for a minimal fee. Absolutely lovely. We were within very close walking distance of Stephen Avenue and the room surpassed expectations. Had arranged with Christa (one of the conceirge) for dipped strawberries in the room. Were there upon arrival and delicious! She also made dinner recommendations and looked after reservations . . . all was wonderful. Would I recommend this to others?? ABSOLUTELY!! A truly magical w/e. Only some minor "comments". Didn't realize we were receiving turn-down service and so when we stopped by our room before heading out for the evening were surprised by the tidying up and other services. . . but who are we to complain for service that went beyond our expectations!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GrahamKracker
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Hello GrahamKracker,

We wanted to thank you for the wonderful review. We were very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. If you ever need anything else at all please feel free to contact myself directly. Thanks again.

mschaay@germaincalgary.com

Reviewed 27 June 2012

I had the great fortune of staying at Le Germain during my Calgary business trip. This is by far the best hotel I've stayed in while traveling for work. For four days, Le Germain served as my uber-chic 'home away from home.' The guest room was spacious and the bathroom was amazing - loved the shower! The beds were also incredibly comfortable --always an important factor for me. The only negative on the room is the lack of blackout curtains/shades. I like to sleep in a dark room. The blinds were insufficient for blocking out the late-night light (I'm not used to it still being daylight at 10:30pm).

I really appreciated the complimentary breakfast and in-room wifi (why isn't this standard at other hotels?). The fitness center served my needs while providing nice city views. Beyond the hotel's asthetics, I couldn't have asked for a more convenient location. I definitely plan to stay at Le Germain on my future visits to Calgary.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business