“I will try them again now that I know what to avoid.”

Hotel Le Germain Calgary
Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“I will try them again now that I know what to avoid.”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a few nights last week and was very impressed with a few aspects and very unimpressed with a few as well.
The location is excellent. Right in the heart of the east side of downtown and 150 feet from Stephen ave. The parking staff were very accommodating and did an excellent job. Well worth the $30/day which is fair considering the Marriott across the street charges more and it's a run down crap hole and the closest lot charged me $54 for 28 hours of parking when I parked there. Anyone who says they don't normally pay for parking at downtown hotels in big cities is just dumb. Of course they all charge for valet. It's just about how much they charge in my books.
The room was awesome. Very well laid out with a large open design. I stayed in a standard room. The bed was epic. So comfy I didn't want to leave it. Bathroom was large and very well appointed.
Now for the downside.
Avoid the lounge. Unfriendly staff and they offer a limited menu with no food that anybody will order. Numerous times I've sent out of town clients to stay here and they all say the same thing.
I ordered room service numerous times and the staff were very friendly but again the limited menu is in need of a reality check. Its mostly salads and deserts. Not very friendly on the hours of operation either.
I've eaten at Charcut and it's really good. I just hoped that would transfer into the room service but so far it doesn't.
The front desk staff were really good. It did come up that the whole lounge had left after a rude bartender had informed us that he had only opened 45 minutes ago so not to expect much from him and we were presented with a food menu which included maybe 10 items. Nothing hearty like a meal. And yes I do expect that service when seated at the bar and doing nothing but drinking, would improve, that wasn't what we were there for. When this come up with the manager he immediately offered a discount which I told him wasn't necessary. A discount doesn't change my mind about whether service was good.
Lastly I would advise to specifically ask what charges will be made to your credit card each step of the way. I got bit with this one and currently have a card frozen due to suspicious activity by them. 3 large charges in less than 24 hours and only 1 at best is a justifiable pre-authorization. I've heard this complaint from numerous other friends who stayed here and there was a couple arguing over this when I was checking in and out so it doesn't seem like a rare occurrence.
So I will stay there again but I will order domino's rather than eat there and I'll ask them to explain each charge going on my card and I'll avoid the bar. Then I expect the stay to be perfect.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank matt t

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Edmonton
Reviewed 15 July 2013

As with other reviewers, I agree that the rooms are beautifully furnished and decorated. I loved the rich but muted colors, the shower and the bed/linens were comfortable. The downside is the lack of light in the rooms (i specifically requested a room facing the street to allow more light) and the continental breakfast is disappointing. In fact, my boyfriend and I only ended up having some fruit and croissants before going out to a real place for breakfast (OEB - which was outstanding!). At this price point of a hotel, they should include a couple free bottles of water, free coffee/tea in the room, or even at check-in, some refreshing water or fruit should be available like many other hotels I've stayed at. IT's all about the details and unfortunately I think they missed the mark here.

Room Tip: 704 was a corner unit away from the elevator. Had no problems with noise. The walls are pretty thin...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank honeydrop
Oakville
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Great location in the heart of Calgary, walking distance to a number of attractions and shopping, including The Core.
The service is exquisite, consistent with the Germain hotel chain.
Rooms are comfortable and designed with flair.
Breakfast is great with staff eager to look after your every desire.
Can't go wrong with this address.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jean-Marc R
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Very good location, good service overall. As for all Germain hotels rooms are large, well designed. Surprisingly there is no place to store our items. A cupboard is missing. The bed is fantastic (important in an hotel...). The breakfast is disappointing. Frankly, for this price, this is not acceptable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jacques D
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed here for our last night before being allowed to return home post-flood evacuation. We were looking forward to the stay based on the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. The suite (normally $760 per night) looked like a very trendy man-cave with lots of bling, including an Nesspresso machine, a boardroom table and white board and bedsite light controls for the whole suite. The glass seemed at least triple paned and the room was as silent as a tomb, which was nice, given the downtown core location. The continental breakfast was one of the best that we have ever had in a hotel. However, we were put-off by two factors: 1) You have to either pay to park or pay to valet park ($30 per day to valet. which is cheaper than using the lot); we have stayed in many upscale downtown hotels in North America and never had to pay for parking before; it seems like the hotel should absorb this fee and 2) when we checked out, we were told that the printer wasn't working and they would email the bill to us; when the bill arrived, we had been overcharged by $100; they first tried to tell us that it was "extra taxes"; when we said that didn't make sense, they then said that the $100 was actually a deposit to hold the room and that it would take up to 5 days for the deposit to be returned to our card; they could not explain why they charged the full deposit plus the full room fee, rather than just charging us the difference; the entire bill then disappeared from our credit card and reappeared a few days later. We think they just screwed up and didn't want to own it, so tried to make odd excuses. It wasn't a nice way to end our stay, particularly given the stress of just wanting to return home after the floods, and instead, having to fight by email with the hotel. It was also poor customer service for the staff to basically initially say that we didn't understand how tax is applied to hotel stays, when actually it seems that they do not understand how a deposit should be applied to a total bill.

Room Tip: Beware that if you bring a car, you will be charged to park. Check your bill very carefully at the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank skytre
Harrogate, UK
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Good location next to the Calgary Tower. Stampede and the central malls in walking distance. Stylish and comfortable quality room. Large bathroom, shower room actually, didn't appear to have any heating and was rather cold (in July)
Very pleasant complementary breakfast when we were there.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1leftleg
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We were booked into another hotel but due to the dreadful floods the original hotel was not able to re-open. We ended up with just one night in Calgary as couldn't get there before.
Very disappointing but Le Germain was wonderful and would gladly have stayed many more nights. Beautifully appointed room,spotlessly clean, very friendly staff and a great breakfast.
What a stunning bathroom!
Well done ...a difficult time as they had just that day got most things working.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple