“Why cut corners?”

Hotel Le Germain Calgary
Ranked #10 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I spent one night at this perfectly situated and aesthetically lovely property.

I was sorely disappointed with the low-quality bathroom tissues, toilet paper and towels. They all felt like sandpaper. At $300/night, I would expect the quality of the tissues/toilet paper/towels to match everything else. If you are supplying guests with Molton Brown toiletries, I would hope you wouldn't cut corners on the rest of the bathroom items.

I would like to suggest that a supply of towels be made available in the fitness facility.

The concierge was extremely helpful and very accommodating.

Room Tip: I stayed in a superior room with a king sized bed with a city view. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Penelope G

Reviewed 21 July 2013

The hotel has a great location and is very quiet inside considering it's in the heart of downtown. Even our room was completely silent, no noise through the walls, only the door must be thinner as I could even hear room service coming down the corridor with the rattling of cups on a tray. Those cups were for us by the way, they had a lovely nexpresso machine in the room but no kettle. You even had to pay for the coffee!! Never in all the hotels we've ever stayed have we had to pay for a coffee, anyway we prefer tea. So we had to call down for a kettle and 2 large cups as all they provided were tiny expresso cups. It was great that they accommodated us but I feel we shouldn't have had to ask for that.

Our superior king room was very spacious and comfy. Great large bathroom with separate toilet. The whole room had a lovely clean look with hidden cupboards containing ironing boards for instance. Great walk in closet, very comfortable beds and linens.

The lighting was terrible, it was very dimly lit and the colours were dark which made it feel even darker. Yet when we turned out the lights for sleeping there was light coming in through the blinds and every light switch was slightly illuminated green so you could find it in the dark presumably. I like complete darkness to sleep so this was very annoying.

The bathroom had a walk in rain shower, which looked very stylish but thank goodness there was a separate hand shower which had more pressure.

The whole place is very stylish and aesthetically pleasing, but lacks some practical touches. The breakfast was simple and it was lovely to get a fresh brewed americano. Lots of hotels either don't provide breakfast or charge for it, so it was nice to get something to hold us over.

Room service menu was very disappointing.

Like other reviews before us, we too were over charged, thankfully we got a printed receipt and picked up on it there and then!

2  Thank GrantFamilyTravels
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 6 nights while in Calgary getting our daughter moved into her new place. The staff was nothing short of amazing, from the front desk to the cleaning staff. We happen to be there for Stampede week so rates were a little higher than normal, but still within reason. The concierge helped us book stampede tickets, not being familiar with the process and it was a 10 min walk to the Stampede Grounds and a 2 min walk to Stephan Street.
Char Cut deliver a steak dinner that ranks up there with the best we have ever had.
Nothing negative to say, great place to stay. Now our daughter is living in Calgary, we will be there several tea a year and will definitely stay at Le Germain.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Patrick F
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This Hotel was awesome, great location to walk everywhere. tons of restaurants and shopping near by. right across the street from tHE Calgary tower and more important Starbucks! The hotel is contemporary and clean... Beds are GREAT! great place thank you...

Room Tip: Try to get 12th floor great city view!
1  Thank Missyuma
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Located on Centre St. SW at 9th Ave directly across the street from the Calgary Tower, the Le Germaine is a great location for business or pleasure (not family). I spent 5 nights and I loved at first sight that the decor was very stylish european and not at all like the usual business traveller hotels which all start looking the same.

Though having said that, the wood throughout and stark colours does give the room a very masculine aura, and then the restaurant pretty much just serves large slabs of meat - so I did feel a bit like I was staying in a man cave and after a few days started to miss frilly girl stuff... just a little.

I did like the layout of the room & the 12th floor was very quiet. I counted 15 light sources, i.e. lamps, pot lights etc. throughout the room & even with all of them on, it was still a little dim for me, as were the hallways (hmm that cave feeling again).

I loved the bathroom - 9 large shelves to hold my toiletries, the sink was a little high (yup..more for a man's height), the rain shower was great. Hint - there is nothing to push or pull, simply turn the left square up and water comes out of the rain head, or turn the square down and it comes out of the handheld wand. Remember to step back after turning it, until the water temperature has become stable.

I liked the Nespresso, but would have preferred a keurig. I loved the fold out ironing board. The bed was comfy, the towels were a bit rough. The continental breakfast on the 2nd floor was o-k, have had better and have had worse. The staff were nice and efficient, there was always someone there to open the lobby door for me when I came in or left, good service.

All in all I liked the "Le Germaine" even though it is very much a manly hotel, but I guess it would be the "La Germaine" if it was meant to be feminine. Also note shopping & several good restaurants are one block over on 8th Ave (Stephen Ave Mall).

Room Tip: Rooms 05 & 14 are very large corner suites, 03 & 12 are small corner rooms and the rest are...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Vansportsfan
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Arriving at Hotel Le Germain at midnight, after a very long day on the Rocky Mountaineer, we were relieved that check-in was speedy and we collapsed into the very comfortable king size bed in our luxury room. Come the morning, we were better able to take in the spaciousness of the bedroom and bathroom. There's no doubt that the room had been fitted out to a very high standard, although some might think the dark furniture and wood has an overly masculine quality. The bathroom runs much of the length of the room with fantastic double sinks. The breakfast room on the 2nd floor is a little functional, with lots of closely packed tables and an ambience reminiscent of an airport lounge. We quickly discovered that the best time to go down for breakfast was after guests on business trips had departed just before 9. Breakfast is complementary and of the continental type and there was ample variety, including oatmeal (or porridge, as we call it in the UK). WiFi is free in all the rooms, but using the trendy nespresso machine in the room involves paying a hefty $2.50 for every pod used and there was no other way of making a drink. Offering a few free pods would have been a reasonable gesture given the $400 per night cost of the room. Drinks and snacks in the room's minibar are priced with the usual excessive mark-ups. There's a well equipped fitness room on the top floor but this seemed to be used by more than just hotel guests. Unfortunately, there's no pool or other outside space, The hotel's restaurant - Charcut - gets good reviews on TripAdviser, but it should have a health warning for anyone with a vegetarian disposition or who prefers to avoid a testosterone-loaded environment. Rather quieter and considerably more pleasant, there's the hotel's Central 899 bar. Overall, we thought the hotel was stylish but had a rather corporate feel.

1  Thank DELondon
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a few nights last week and was very impressed with a few aspects and very unimpressed with a few as well.
The location is excellent. Right in the heart of the east side of downtown and 150 feet from Stephen ave. The parking staff were very accommodating and did an excellent job. Well worth the $30/day which is fair considering the Marriott across the street charges more and it's a run down crap hole and the closest lot charged me $54 for 28 hours of parking when I parked there. Anyone who says they don't normally pay for parking at downtown hotels in big cities is just dumb. Of course they all charge for valet. It's just about how much they charge in my books.
The room was awesome. Very well laid out with a large open design. I stayed in a standard room. The bed was epic. So comfy I didn't want to leave it. Bathroom was large and very well appointed.
Now for the downside.
Avoid the lounge. Unfriendly staff and they offer a limited menu with no food that anybody will order. Numerous times I've sent out of town clients to stay here and they all say the same thing.
I ordered room service numerous times and the staff were very friendly but again the limited menu is in need of a reality check. Its mostly salads and deserts. Not very friendly on the hours of operation either.
I've eaten at Charcut and it's really good. I just hoped that would transfer into the room service but so far it doesn't.
The front desk staff were really good. It did come up that the whole lounge had left after a rude bartender had informed us that he had only opened 45 minutes ago so not to expect much from him and we were presented with a food menu which included maybe 10 items. Nothing hearty like a meal. And yes I do expect that service when seated at the bar and doing nothing but drinking, would improve, that wasn't what we were there for. When this come up with the manager he immediately offered a discount which I told him wasn't necessary. A discount doesn't change my mind about whether service was good.
Lastly I would advise to specifically ask what charges will be made to your credit card each step of the way. I got bit with this one and currently have a card frozen due to suspicious activity by them. 3 large charges in less than 24 hours and only 1 at best is a justifiable pre-authorization. I've heard this complaint from numerous other friends who stayed here and there was a couple arguing over this when I was checking in and out so it doesn't seem like a rare occurrence.
So I will stay there again but I will order domino's rather than eat there and I'll ask them to explain each charge going on my card and I'll avoid the bar. Then I expect the stay to be perfect.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends