“Sophisticated and Comfortable”

Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Jupiter, Florida, United States
“Sophisticated and Comfortable”
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Great stay here - super staff, really great rooms with every little touch you can imagine - like the glasses on the bathroom sink have the room number etched in them, and the desks have every style charger available. This was so tasteful, so comfortable and so perfect - I running out of ways to praise them.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeff B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was planning a special get away for my husband and I for our 8th anniversary and I wanted to do something special on a roof top. I emailed so many places in Calgary, some never responded, some took up to 2 weeks to get back to me, others said they could not accommodate my request and didn't even offer an alternative. When I finally got to Le Germain Hotel it was like a god send. I heard back immediately from Glen Mckenzie who gave me information right away. My original idea ended up not working out for me so Glen handed me over to the concierge, the wonderful Zahava!!! Not only was she helpful, but she had wonderful ideas and managed to get my husband and I time alone of the roof with a mini bottle of champagne ( which they never ended up charging us for). She also arranged for a box of specialty donuts, an inside joke for my husband with a note from me, to be in our room when we arrived. (They also didn't charge us for the donuts as another gift for our anniversary) The room was so chic, large and amazing. Everything was clean and the bed was like a cloud. The room had a big tv, huge bathroom with a rain shower and lots of space to do hair and make up. She also arranged for our dinner reservations in the hotel restaurant the Charcut. We ended up getting some free apps there and the service was amazing. Upon return to our room there was another bottle of good wine in our room as yet another gift with a lovely note congratulating us. The continental breakfast was very tasty, there was a good variety of things to eat. Zahava answered all of my many emails and all of my million questions with care and she was so sweet. They only thing I regret was not being able to meet her when we were there as she was out of town. This upscale hotel is worth every penny, they take amazing care of you, they pay attention to detail and make you feel welcome.They go way above and beyond to make your stay perfect. I would go back again in a heart beat and I would recommend you go as well you won't regret it!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandie O
Robert D, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Sandie O,

Thank you for sharing your comments and the experience you had while staying with us. It gave us great pleasure sharing your comments with our team! We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Le Germain for many more anniversaries!

Robert D'orazio
rdorazio@germaincalgary.com
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We had driven through the Rockies to arrive at our final destination of Calgary and being a Saturday night I wanted to stay downtown and somewhere a bit special. This hotel is downtown but as for somewhere special...afraid not! At a price of £165 for a nights stay for two people with breakfast ( sort of continental +)included, it is not cheap either. From the offset at check-in there appeared to be some confusion as to what room we were to stay in and in the end we were shown to a room on the 5th floor, which was of adequate size but had the feel of coldness and darkness about it. Especially as after a long drive I was looking for a nice warming bath only to be told that there are only a few rooms with a bath and there all gone, which led me to think why I booked a "superior" room at this hotel? It was of course one of these ultra modern hotels with all the latest gizmos but lacking any character, something I could associate with the staff too. As they seemed to be full that night, something to do with a "Red Bull" event and somewhat overstretched. This manifested itself in the morning on check out as it took nearly 45 minutes for our bags to be collected from the room and the car to be delivered to the door, so that we could leave. As I say the room had all the gizmos but perhaps lending to the darkness was the view from the window, which was straight across the street to another building, hence why the blinds were continually closed. Breakfast in the morning was a "bun-fight", I guess because they were full as everything was running out as soon as it was replaced and it appeared that they offer breafast in a sort of large room rather than a restaurant setting, probably leading to the "supply" situation as I mentioned. At one time they even ran out of hot water for my tea, the worse of the worse for an Englishman on holiday, let alone the no bath scenario earlier.
The main benefit is that the hotel is a block from the centre of the city and right in front of the Calgary tower but for me it doesn't compensate the indifferent approach of the staff and the "gloomy" (or maybe I am old fashioned )but dark interior of the hotel. And that bath thing!!!

Room Tip: If you need it make sure you ask for a room with a bath!!!
1 Thank sboydman
Lake Country, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed here for 1 night in the luxury room, was corner unit 913. Really nice room, would highly recommend, descent view of the Bow. Only bad things to say are that we requested slippers as there werent any in the room, was told they would be brought up. They never were, also upon checking in they were going to make a reservation at the restaurant for us and call us in the room to confirm. They didnt call us for at least half an hour, so we had to call down and get them to make the reservation.

Room Tip: luxury room recommended
Banff, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Right after I walked in this hotel, I felt that I was not welcomed.
Non of hotel staff welcome us, I saw 3 staff working around front desk. but they did not even say hello... It looks like they were ignoring me.
check in process was very smooth but a front desk Clerk did not explain anything about hotel.
She did not even explained me how to get to the room...so I was just standing at the lobby trying to figure out where the elevator was. where the parking was...etc
then I decided to go back to the front desk to ask all my questions. fortunately a lady at the desk was able to give me answers however she did not explained me about extra charges...I happened to know there are additional charges for parking later...by the way they charge $38 for valet parking, $10 for self parking (until 5AM) and additional $10 after 5 AM. this is something they should explain to their guest upon checking in...I think.
A couple minutes later, when I checked in my room. A housekeeping staff suddenly walked into my room using their master key without knocking the door. I assume she wanted to turn down service. but as she has got strong Spanish(?) accent, I could not understand what she trying to do. she ended up walked out without say anything...
at last my room was located on the 3rd floor right above breakfast restaurant... it became really noisy around 5am for prep work(maybe)
I liked hotel location and facility. however I did not like their service especially communication skill. there are lots of great hotels in Calgary with quality service...so I would not go back again...

1 Thank RotaryEngine
Robert D, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear ROTARYENGINE,
Thank you for sharing your comments. We have reviewed your comments and like to apologize if you were not felt welcome at our hotel. I want to ensure you this is not Le Germain service standards we expect from our team. We will review your comments with our team and take this as a training opportunity.

Warm Regards,

Robert.
Banff National Park, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed at this lovely hotel on October 13 the hotel is new and very modern clean and comfortable. We had a double queen room that we booked directly through the hotel desk at a rate below the major bookings sites. The rooms are very modern and luxurious but there is no bath tub only a shower although nice a room with a bath was $70 more per night! The beds are ultra comfortable and the bedding even better. The room was very dark lots of lights but you have to have all of them on to see anything so it seemed a bit non eco sensitive to me having to turn on 12 lights to see. Love the molton brown bath products
The valet parking was 38 dollars. Wifi was included as was a nice breakfast

Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

How any one could have anything negative to say about this hotel is beyond me because in my opinion everything about it is just amazing. Starting with the modern design - very well though out aesthetics and functionality. Exposed very high ceilings, built in beautiful wood millwork, the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in in my life, several lighting sources, glass California style shower, vessel sinks and purple accents. Just stunning. The suits have the tub filler coming from the CEILING so the water pours into the tub from above - so cool! The staff was great and the complimentary breakfast delicious. Very clean. Great location right downtown Calgary. Would recommend staying here without a doubt to anybody! Will DEFINITELY be back and look forward to my next stay!

Stayed June 2013