“Awesome experience”

Hotel Le Germain Calgary
Ranked #8 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed there for long weekend during stampede. Friday to Tuesday. Our room was immaculate and spacious and quiet. The staff was very attentive and helpful. I loved the continental breakfast which was complimentary. It wasn't very extensive, but was a decent start to the day. Great location, easy walk to everything.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Stayed here one night only; a longer stay might have resulted in a better rating. However, the rooms, while nicely decorated, are much too dark - even with all the lights on.
Whoever designed the bathroom needs to be sent back to design school. What should be a nice relaxing hot shower after a fifteen hour day turned into a nightmarish chore - the whole rain shower fad being overly complicated and time consuming in getting it right. The basin and water taps are set such that you can not wash/shave without getting water everywhere (this can be avoided by having water trickle out of the taps, leading to a ten minute shave).
And what's with no slippers in the room?

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator rooms!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Robert D, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear World-Traveller-one
Thank you for sharing your comments on trip advisor. We will review all your comments and always strive to make improvements based on customer feedback. Slippers are always available upon request. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Robert D'Orazio
rdorazio@germaincalgary.com

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Very nice hotel and I enjoyed staying there. The front desk staff was very helpful and extremely nice. My room was very modern and clean. I think the room should have had more or better lighting and the shower would have intermittent bursts of hot and cold water. These bursts would only last for 1-2 seconds and would happen 4-5 times during each shower but they would be extremely hot or extremely cold. The continental breakfast was very good and the staff there was accommodating.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I was looking forward to my stay at Le Germain as I've stayed in just about every other hotel in downtown Calgary and like other users, have read numerous good reviews on trip advisor. However, I was extremely disappointed when I arrived. I had previously e-mailed the concierge asking if a higher view and a larger room size was available as my girlfriend and I were celebrating an anniversary; upon which she had said definitely. Fair enough, hotels can't guarantee this but when I checked in, I ended up on the 4th floor (Out of 12), staring directly at the Marriott and being driven nuts by the traffic noise outside. I understand sometimes room availability is not there but don't make a promise that you can't keep or will outright ignore. And the noise .. I just came from a night at the Fairmont and did not hear a peep and I was situated very close to 9th Ave and 1st St. SW. On top of that, the phone in the room didn't work so I had to go back down to the lobby to request anything. I asked for a better room at a higher price and got put in a 'deluxe king room' on the 8th floor, the only difference with the superior king room being that there was maybe an extra foot of space between the window and the hotel door, everything was literally exactly the same. The rooms as others have mentioned, are VERY dark. Darker then any 'upscale' hotel I've ever stayed at. Reminded me of dining at an upscale restaurant except when you are in your hotel, you want enough light to The stylings are sleek and modern but if you stay on the weekends where room rates aren't astronomical in Calgary, stay at the Westin or Sheraton. You'll get a better (And quieter) location, loyalty points and about half as much of a beating on your wallet. I ended up cancelling my other 3 nights at this property. I really wanted to like this place but next time, I wouldn't bother coming here. The nickel and diming bothered me (ie. The oft-mentioned $2.50 nespresso pods mentioned in other reviews). I was looking forward to a romantic getaway with my girlfriend but this place didn't cut it.

Room Tip: If you are thinking about switching from a superior or deluxe, don't do it; the rooms literally...

Dear Joe N,
Thank you for your comments and feedback on your past stay. I apologize for how we were not able to get you on a higher floor. Yes, our Deluxe room has same amenities as a Superior room; you are getting more square footage with our Deluxe room. We are always able to add additional standing lamps for extra light in the room. All customer comments are reviewed by our team in order to make improvements so guest can enjoy a relaxing night with us.

Robert D'Orazio
rdorazio@germaincalgary.com

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Awesome rooms!! Meet Mike Holmes he was staying there as well. Alittle pricey 1500 for 2 nights and mini bar. Service was ok. We were somewhat stereotyped as we needed to get our harley valet parked...The front desk agent asked if we were going to behave, really! Lol

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

A great hotel, boutique style, very modern, rooms are great. It is in the heart of downtown Calgary.
Stayed 10 nights, great one, bed are so comfy.
Service is not that good though.
The menu in the room service is weak as well. Not many choices.
All in all, a great place to stay, pricy though

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Le Germain on a recent weekend trip to Calgary. The hotel is a boutique style hotel in the middle of downtown Calgary, just across the street from the Calgary Tower. The hotel is very "European" modern with nicely decorated rooms. It's an upscale hotel so it's priced accordingly. The room rate is not cheap but not bad when you consider Le Germain is easily one of the top 5 hotels in Calgary. For weekend stays the hotel appears to offer a reduced rate. The hotel is more geared for adults so I would not recommend it if you're travelling with young children.

The rooms were clean and we liked the modern design. We travel with lots of electronic gadgets like laptops and cell phones so we really liked the large work desk with every type of plug-in that you would need to charge or power up your devices. The hotel offers free internet and it worked perfectly with good connection speed. I was able to stream video with no problem. The rooms do not appear to have microwaves but do have fully stocked bars with drinks and snacks

We pulled up in our vehicle and there was someone to assist us and to offer valet parking right away. Since our stay was short and we would not need our car till we checked out, we splurged with the valet parking @ $38 per day. If you're staying longer you may want to do self park. We checked in around 4 PM and there were lots of staff working the front desk. Check in was efficient, fast and friendly.

The hotel is nicely located for visiting Calgary. There all sorts of restaurants within close walking distance but make sure you make dinner reservations early, especially on a Friday or Saturday.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family