“Disappointed”

Hotel Le Germain Calgary
Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed one night (Room 415) while attending an office function in the hotel on a Friday night in December. Despite how busy the lobby was, check in went smoothly. First bad experience was in the crowded elevator when a member of the hotel staff asked to borrow my key card in order to hit floor buttons for other people on the elevator (shouldn't he have had his own key card??!!). Had to ask for it back when arrived on 4th Floor, and he didn't even thank me. Room very large; but so so dark. Not a very efficient use of space. Definitely needs more light! (Almost left a black dress there because I couldn't see it!) Bathroom vanity was stained (leftover liquid of some sort; soap/hair goop), so I cleaned it with a wet facecloth. One of the bedside lamps didn't work. Minimal closet space. No view from the east-facing room, but we were getting a corporate discount and hadn't expected much in that regard. Fantastic bed.
My husband checked in later and did valet parking. Absolute chaos. Nobody knew where to leave keys, who to speak with, and no attendants for quite some time, which meant a massive line up down 9th Avenue in rush hour.
Our function was excellent; great, great food in a really nice banquet room. One of the best parties we've ever attended. Breakfast was European style and very nice. Friendly staff too.
Be very, very careful upon checkout - double check amounts. We were over-charged for parking, but I was promptly refunded when I sent an email.
We'd probably stay again, because it's a nice thing to do when attending late night parties since it's so difficult to find other transportation options in Calgary.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay by the elevators.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert D, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Dear Luvgoodtrips,

Thank you for the comments and feedback on your past stay. We do apologise for the inconvinience caused with bell/valet staff and housekeeping items on your recent stay with us. We will also be reviewing your feedback with respective teams and ensure appropriate follow-up.
Also, for your furture stays we will add the preference for a room away from the elevators at our hotel.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel. Please contact the hotel directly at 403.264.8990 and ask for the manager on duty to make your next reservation.

Best regards,

Jeet Jani (jjani@germaincalgary.com)

There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Germain Calgary

Reviewed 12 December 2013

This is a very nice hotel in a convenient location downtown. Public transportation close by. We took the train from the airport via a bus transfer which was not difficult nor expensive. The train dropped us two blocks from the hotel. It was a little hard to find until oriented - look for the Calgary Tower which is across the street up Center Street. We requested the quietest room available-and it was very quiet despite the wedding reception taking place in the lobby restaurant. Room was clean, comfortable and quiet. Staff was polite and friendly. We were traveling out very early so were unable to enjoy the breakfast but the staff kindly provided us a boxed snack to eat on our way. The décor is definitely tres chic and the shower head is unique.

Room Tip: Ask staff to accommodate your preferences-they will do everything they can to fulfill your request
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 December 2013

The Le Germain is THE place to stay in Calgary. The staff remember you, and cater your stay to your needs and preferences. Close to everything, and impeccably clean. The breakfast (included) is top notch, and the Charcut restaurant is to die for. Will stay there again, and again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2013

What a thrill to write such a glowing review for a hotel that is so fantastic!!!! I've been to 4 of the Le Germaine Properties and this one is my favourite. From the gorgeous check in desk, the friendly, efficient and friendly people that work in the lobby, nothing could be better. The sleek and sexy design of the hotel rooms, the bathrooms, the quality of the furnishings, the bedding, the sexy lighting in the rooms. Wow.. We just didn't want to leave the room. We actually booked here to stay "at" the hotel, and have a weekend away to just enjoy this hotel. The spa is stunning, like you've stepped into Shangri-la. The beds are perfect, the duvet, the pillows and if you put the flatscreen on channel 39, you have a roaring fire in front of you. The bathroom could be in a Style at Home Magazine. Perfect.

Room Tip: Something higher up with a view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed 1 night while going to a hockey game with the family. The only reason I booked this hotel was because of TripAdvisor reviews. Glad I did!

Nice and friendly staff upon check in. Overall great and clean property, the rooms were modern and comfortable. The shower was amazing, largest shower head I have seen in a long time... impressive.

Booked the weekend rate which included breakfast, parking and wifi.

Great downtown location across from the Calgary Tower with lots of nice food and shopping around the corner.

It is worth the extra money to stay here, I would do it again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian C
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I'm a hotel snob and this hotel is incredible. I was pleasantly surprised with the Nespresso coffee and the Molton Brown products that gave it such a high touch. Beautiful decor and very comfy and cosy bed!! The restuarant is excellent called Char Cut, and the free continental is very high end as well! I had a chat to the friendly concierge Jill Marven yesterday as it's extremely cold and I'm from California etc! etcetc! I got a knock on my door this afternoon from her personally delivering me a gift with a lovely personal note and a pair of very nice Canadian mittens! WOW is all I can day at the level of detail and service in this hotel!!I. Will be back for sure and cannot recommend it enough!!!

Room Tip: You will be in for a pleasant surprise !!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 December 2013

So far, one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in! I wasthere 3 times and enjoyed every stay. It has a very modern look, the room is huge, bed is incredibly comfortable, closet is very big for a hotel room. The bathroom is my favorite, the rain shower is wonderful and they thought of every detail (lighting, mirrors, good hair drier, good soap, etc). Staff is incredibly nice, they respond super fast to any request and even give good tips on places to go and restaurants. Location is the best possible. Fitness center is very well equipped, it's 24h, and even if you don't like working out, the view is worth it. The only negative points were: room service food was expensive and not so good and the tv reception is not very good (image not very clear, big delay on image when changing channels), heavy blinds. But overall, the hotel is great and I for sure every time I go to Calgary on business I request this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business