“Lovely food”
Review of Calypso's Taverna

Calypso's Taverna
Ranked #193 of 3,725 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 13 December 2013

The service was good and attentive. The food was tasty and the menu was truly Greek. The portions were big enough without leaving you feeling full and stuffed. Great value.

1  Thank Julie C

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I grew up on Greek food and and was really looking forward to trying Calypsos hoping I'd stumbled on a gem. Overall the food can be summed up as greasy and underwhelming. There was some good (the calamari and the lamb) but basically the rest was "meh". The roast potatoes were under cooked and crunchy, the side of veggies was frozen green beans and they managed to make the worst greek salad I've ever tasted. It was drenched in olive oil only, no citrus or any seasoning,the smattering of feta was a joke. Service was pretty good but I just have no clue how it gets such good reviews.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I had my first dinning experience at Calypso about a month ago and I have just one word " marvelous". I am crazy for mussels and Calypso nailed it. I also like when I make a reservation they listen to my requests like pleases don't put me by the front door and by the restroom.

I will be heading down to Calypso tonight see you then.

1  Thank elizabeth h
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

We stopped in to Calgary sat sept 21 at approx 1930hrs and found our way to this rest based on the reviews.
When you arrive you may become slightly uncomfortable as it looks like a typical strip mall rest.
You enter to find a very esthetic feel to the surroundings.
We were seated promptly and served immediately.
The menu is well constructed, not too many items but enough to satisfy any taste.
We started with the calamari, was delicious, cooked perfectly. Moved on to the salads mine wasthe Cesar n my wife's was the traditional greek both were underwhelming, not much on the bold flavor side.
Our main courses were both Moussaka, all main entres are accompanied with vegetable, rice and a potato.
The veggies were perfect. Rice was on the bland side but presented well.
The Moussaka was one of the best we ever had! The meat was sliced and a perfect balance of potato.
Service was almost as gd as the meal :)

2  Thank Jim R
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We were in the mood for something Mediterranean and after looking at TA we settled on trying Calypso's Taverna. It was a drive to get there but it was worth it; we weren't disappointed. The owners have done a very nice job creating a pleasant and comfortable dining room, the service was efficient and very welcoming, it is very much a family business and it shows. The portions are generous and well presented from start to finish. I would not hesitate to try this restaurant if you are in the mood for something Greek. We left full and happy and promised to return to smash a plate or two.