“FANTASTIC!!!”
Review of Calypso's Taverna

Calypso's Taverna
Ranked #161 of 3,623 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The food is excellent, the service was positively wonderful! They keep me going back and back! The food is greek authentic like I have in Greece every time I go back. AMAZING! I have visited the restaurant over 1 times and each time I pleasantly surprised!

1  Thank Antonis T
There are newer reviews for Calypso's Taverna

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I've been to Calypso's numerous times because they have terrific food and went again recently. As always, great food and an enjoyable evening but.... I purposefully saved half my meal to take home and when I asked the server to wrap it up for me he said no problem. He must have been on autopilot because he came back to the table with a long face and said he accidentally threw it in the garbage! I felt sorry for him and didn't make a fuss, but wouldn't it have been nice if he would have comped a dessert or drink or something?? First time I've ever been disappointed, but I won't let that keep me from going back. The Greek food is simply outstanding; it's the real deal!

1  Thank Kay B
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We return often to Calypso's simply because the service is always amazing and the food is always some of the best we can get in Calgary.

We took a large party of friends to their 'Greek Night' the end of May. A special item on the menu was the Greek ribs. Peter, if that is not a normal fixture on the menu soon, I dunno what i'll do. The flavor literally just explodes in your mouth. Tender, juicy, falling off the bone, and just so full of flavor, i wish I could describe it better to you. I just can't other than WOW!

They continue to always impress me. Thank you for always producing amazing food with great service!

1  Thank Bretzer06
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I cannot believe that I have never been here before. Great location, easy to get to with parking right outside the door. Very nice on the inside (way better than you would imagine from the outside).

We had the saganaki and Greek ribs as appetizers and each ordered moussaka as our main. All of which were very good, the saganaki was a bit on the thin side, I would have liked a slightly thicker cut of cheese. With the mains you get either soup or salad, rice, potatoes, vegetables. A whole lot of leftovers came home with me!

Service was very friendly but a bit scattered, our water was forgotten for awhile & our waitress mixed up our doggy bags- no big deal as I always tend to check anyway, but the reason for only four stars.

This was great preparation for an upcoming trip to Greece - Opa!

2  Thank YYCMtnGrl
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My husband and I just took my mother and father in law here on the Saturday night before Mother's Day instead of battling the crowds on the Sunday. we didn't know about the awesome in house bellydancing entertainment-it was so fun! I was having so much fun, I completely forgot to take pics of the food for once....lol. My in-laws are not very familiar with Greek food, and they LOVED it. We all shared the Appetizer Plate for Two, as it is very big, and an order of Saganaki. Fabulous right form the beginning! ONe of the specials were the ribs-my father in law ordered those and I tried them-melt-in-your-mouth heaven! My husband and I had the Beef Souvlaki....I don't know that I have had any meat this perfectly done-ever, anywhere. We were perfectly stuffed at the end, and took Baklava home for dessert. The bellydancing entertainment was a riot-got to get up and dance wiht her, and she coerced the men into putting the veil over their faces. A great time. Maria, our server, was wonderful-she used to serve over at Spartan's, but since that has closed she has migrated to Calypso's and is as lovely as ever. She was very attentive at all the right moments, brought our dishes out at the perfect time and made our overall meal fantastic.

Definately THE place to go for a great Greek experience!

1  Thank Alyssa B