“You won't regret anything about staying here!”

and 1 more site!
Wicked Hostels - Calgary
Melbourne, Australia
“You won't regret anything about staying here!”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

** Just like to start saying that I've come to the conclusion that the people who have written negative reviews on here about Wicked Hostels complaining about the most bizarre and quite frankly stupid (ie; complaining the staff do your washing for FREE and you cannot do it yourself, REALLY?!) are the same people who complain about every little facet in life because they have NOTHING better to do... Take what these people write literally with less than a grain of salt. These people are serial whiners and not TRUE backpackers.

Where to start with Wicked... This has to definitely be the second best hostel I have stayed at in North America (first in Montreal). The value for money at this place far exceeds any other hostel I have stayed in. The fact the staff do all your washing for free is just unheard of and gratefully appreciated. Yep, even your dirty undies! ;)
That staff at Wicked make this place what it is and never fail to uphold it's stellar reputation.
Jeff, the owner of wicked and his Dad are two of the most genuine and hilarious people you will meet. They really try and keep this hostel what it should be - a fun, lively & true backpacking style environment. I booked for a week and ended up staying 3 weeks, and even then did not want to leave. Strangers became friends and friends quickly became like a little family. Everyone looks out for one another and respectful of everyone's possessions and space.
** I did notice people complaining of no lockers in the rooms. I must admit not once did I feel like my personal belongings were unsafe or at risk of theft. I often left my phone, wallet, passport etc; on my bed, floor, kitchen table, bathroom without a worry in the world. Some may find that naïve, I believe it just proof of the type of environment Jeff has created and the type of people this place attracts.
I also read a lot of comments on here about the hostel being "cliquey" or hostile... I must admit that my first few days I sat on the couch with my ipad and headphones in and found it really hard to chat to people... I wondered what everyone else's problem was.. Then a lightbulb went off and I realized it wasn't the other people that had the problem, IT WAS ME! I was choosing to isolate myself with my music and head buried in my ipad. I was being ANTI SOCIAL and the other people at the hostel were showing me the respect of space and privacy it looked like I wanted. Once I realized that striking up conversations with people is that way to make friends, everything improved 100000% from there. By the end of my stay I knew I had made friends for life all over the world who I will go out of my way to travel and see in the future.

Just to comment on a few smaller things - breakfast is amazing (even though I only made it to 3 breakfasts in the whole 3 weeks I was there due to being hungover, oops!) and provides everything you need to kick start your day. Location cannot be beat. Right on 17th Ave (close to hundreds of bars, restaurants, 2 casinos, liquor/groceries) and across the rode from the Saddledome (Calgary Flames play there) and also the C-Train station to get you anywhere you need to go in Calgary. Downtown is a short 10 minute walk.

Special mention to Dan, Mike, Paula & Lucas who work extremely hard and make your stay at Wicked always a positive one. I will definitely be back to stay here... Never thought I could miss staying in a hostel but I definitely will always have a soft spot for this place and plenty of memories & friendships that I will take with me on my travels.
It's the little things that count at this hostel, not just the big stuff.
** if you read the website it clearly states this is a party hostel and full of backpackers all looking to have a good time and be social. Yes, we laugh - sometimes loudly. Yes, we play music until midnight. Yes, we drink in the common room mid-week. WE ARE BACKPACKERS and we are here to have a good time. Don't stay here if you want a 12 hour sleep. It's not a cheaper alternative to a hotel room... if you want quiet and boring book in at one of the many hotels around here... If you're outgoing, fun, social and looking to meet an amazing bunch of people, experience an awesome stay and make some life long friends, Wicked Hostels is perfect for you.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms are close to the common area and if you are a boring, unsocial light sleeper - you...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
WickedHostels, Owner at Wicked Hostels - Calgary, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Yowza!! That review actually blew my socks off! You sound like me when I'm trying to defend my baby from bad reviews. After a while you realize some people like to complain, I mean its kinda fun right? Thank you for being so loyal to the hostel, you are truly what Wicked stand for and why I opened it in the first place. We are all on an adventure, some people are on a quiet path and some are on a loud crazy one, Wicked is probably a little more suited to the loud ones. Thanks for the awesome review!!! And it was great having you with us!! (I'm sure you will be back at some point) Cheers, Jeff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The hostel building is in a good location and it's warm, clean and pleasant. All of the facilities are good and it has some perks that some places don't have, 24hr kitchen with oven, free phone for local or international calls (just not to cell phones), free washing, computers and tea and coffee. The building itself is good but the atmosphere isn't.

I've only stayed here in the winter. In the summer it could be different. But you are not going to fill a hostel with backpackers in Calgary in winter. So most of the people there are guestworkers staying long term. You probably know what young guestworkers are like. They are a bit different from backpackers. A bit rougher. Their clique dominates the hostel to the point where it's unpleasant to go into the public areas. You see a lot of people hiding out in their rooms on their laptops because they feel uncomfortable in the kitchen / common room (myself included). So that really leaves me with a sour taste from the hostel, if I were just rating the facilities / building itself I would give it 4/5. cheers

Room Tip: upstairs is quieter
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
What on earth is a guest worker? Do you mean a Working Holidaymaker? I'd estimate about 75% of backpackers coming through the hostel year-round are on a Working Holidaymaker VISA. That's how I travelled for 4 years working to supplement your travels. We have a 14 day maximum stay in place so not sure who these people were. Thanks for the review on the amenities though!!
New Zealand
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We had such a fantastic time at Wicked hostel. We were there for they Calgary stampede, so it was a perfect location. We meet great people there and the staff were all so friendly.
Best breakfast also. The rooms aren't massive but who really spends that much time in there room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
WickedHostels, Manager at Wicked Hostels - Calgary, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Its all of the great guests like you who make the vibe here. Glad you had a good time!! Thanksfor the wicked review!! Cheers, Jeff
Colorado
Reviewed 20 December 2013

The hostel does a good job of telling you if you want a nice nights sleep to not chose them. I appreciate that.
I can sleep through anything and was quite surprised that my entire room was all tucked in and passed out before midnight. Of course, we had been chatting and enjoying beers respectfully since 5pm. I met some great people.

Here are the pros and cons
Pros:
Location, fair price with campgrounds and the few other Canadian hostels, the operators do a good job of cleaning the common spaces and signage encouraging other to do so as well.
Everyone I met was super nice. It is very centrally located. There was parking available if you are crazy and have a hankering to drive across Canada. I think the area was relatively safe.. I as a solo female traveler was only there for one night and had no issues.

Cons:
The biggest thing that management COULD do to alleviate issues is figure out SOME way to store belongings. I was in a small room with three sets of bunks. There were no lockers (always if if in hostels) but no where else to put luggage and belonging other than directly in the walk way. There was a tiny bit of space below bunks but not enough for a travel case much less a traveler's standard pack. Due to the belonging being in the way as a necessity it does seem a bit messy. Being from the states I don't know if they have occupancy codes in Alberta but if there is I'm sure there are too many beds per square foot. At least in my room.
Otherwise, the bathrooms were as clean as could be as were the common areas. The kitchen wasn't as tidy as my kitchen at home but then I don't have 100 people running through it at all hours.
I also do not think the owner's response to any form of criticism is professional or warranted, so that is a con. Due to that alone I won't return because I'd hate to have something come up on property and encounter this person. In fact, I'd have given a much high rating but based on his responses.. NO.

That's it.. a fairly fair review. You'll probably enjoy the place and it will be a good option for you.

Room Tip: MUST MUST have upper floor. You will NOT want to be near the common area.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
WickedHostels, Owner at Wicked Hostels - Calgary, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Hey mate,

Thanks for the review. You actually met me in the common room but didn't know who I was, most people don't because I'm just a backpacker like anyone else. As for my replies, its directed at the non-backpacker guests who whinge about menial things or the noise in the hostel. You'd be surprised how many non-backpackers come to the hostel thinking its a cheap hotel. We get "you mean the whole dorm has other people in it?" or "where's the ice machine?" We actually get a whole lot of backpacker guests ask about them because they made them laugh. I like that.

Cheers,

Jeff
Hamilton, Australia
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Ideally located for the hockey (5min walk to Saddledome) and being right on 17th Avenue (plenty of restaurants, bars & boutique shopping), this was a great place to stay for my birthday weekend with friends.

Being only 2 stories tall and having approximately 70 beds total (selection of private rooms, or rooms sleeping 4, 6 or 8) the general atmosphere is sociable but relaxed. The kitchen is spacious with brand new appliances and every utensil/piece of cutlery you could ever need. The showers are hot, beds comfy, and linen fresh.

Designed especially for backpackers, you must be from out-of-province to stay. It seems many people here are long-term guests, being respectful and keeping the entire area clean.

There is free WiFi, breakfast (really good!) and even laundry service (if you stay a week or longer).

Honestly, just a great place to stay and a definite better alternative to the Ritzy hotels nearby.

• Stayed December 2013
Never been compared to Ritzy hotels so that's pretty sweet. Thanks for the review, hope your birthday bash was wicked! Cheers, Jeff
Timoteo, MG
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I enjoyed my staying in the Wicked. I felt free to do whatever I wanted. The employees were cool, the bed was comfortable, the bedroom and the lines were clean. They offer towel, a good internet wi-fi and free calls up to 30 minutes per day for whereever you want.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Thanks for the review, it was awesome having you. Pop in again if you are in Cowtown!! Cheers, Jeff
little mountain town, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Worth every penny if you can even get a bed. Only hostel left in Calgary after the floods this summer so make sure you have a bed booked well in advance. Jeff the owner and Luke and the rest of the staff super friendly. They present Calgary very well to backpackers and make it a fun place to come. Stayed here a number of times for up to 3 weeks at a time. Great spot and good vibe. Location is sweet as it right beside Victoria Park C-Train Station.

Room Tip: Best tip is to book well in advance so you know you got a room. Watch so many people get turned awa...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business