“A mixed bag!”

and 1 more site!
Wicked Hostels - Calgary
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

My gf and I stayed at this hostel for 3 nights, primarily as the Hi Calgary wasn't open in time for our visit. Below are the pros and cons of our stay in my opinion.

Pros:
Staff are great at this place! Very helpful and friendly.

The initial tour of the hostel is a brilliant idea, something that no other hostels do that I've stayed at!

The breakfasts are awesome here! Consisted of fruit pancakes!, toast, cereal, many spreads and free tea and coffee (massive bonus)

Cons:
Monotonous music that's played all day, too loud and too late (until 12pm)! Just lower the volume a tad, stop music at 11pm and mix up the tracks, it really drives you crazy especially if your room is next to the common area - we weren't the only ones there who thought this.

The worst thing about our stay was the lack of sleep. I understand that it's the weekend and we like to party and have a good time but the music was played until 3:30am!! And people where loudly talking until 5am! Its a joke and isn't fair on the majority of the people for whom I know we're affected. You really shouldn't have to stay up till 5am to have a good time.

If you have a 12pm noise rule, enforce it or just don't have it at all! The lack of sleep left us in a fowl mood about the whole place. The room walls are thin and thus the 'noise rule' should accommodate for this.

Thankfully the next few nights were fine, slept well. But it's those one offs that drags these ratings down for you.

As I said, it was a mixed bag as this hostel has some great aspects! Due to the negatives I can't say I would recommend this hostel.

I would hope that the management appreciates my honesty in this review and understands the importance of constructive criticism.

• Stayed: May 2014
9  Thank JonCartwright1992
There are newer reviews for Wicked Hostels - Calgary

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I'm writing this in this room. It JUST fits a double bed. We are moving to Lake Louise so we have a bit of luggage - not a lot though, so with all that in here there is barely any space to move. Lucky we are only here for one night. Showers and toilets are clean. It's an ok hostel. I have stayed in better.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laura C
WickedHostels, Owner at Wicked Hostels - Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

I guess you got the smaller of my two private rooms, yep its definitely cozy. We have luggage storage as well for the excess cargo you may have had. Thanks for the review! Cheers, Jeff

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The person who checked us in was very friendly and showed us around. the kitchen was clean and tidy, as were the showers and toilets. The main problem was that every night it got unbearably hot in the bedroom. There were 8 people in our room so i understand that it is normal for it to get hot, it would be great if they would install air conditioning. The window in the room would not open and sleeping with the door open was not an option due to light and noise. Several people woke up in the morning with headaches from the heat. Also, early on the last morning i was surprised to wake up and find a male staff member standing in the bedroom taking away every ones towels...

Room Tip: If you have the money go for a private room, also try to be on the top floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Just wanted to apologize about the heat. Unfortunately Springtime in Calgary means the temperature changes in upwards of 35 degrees each day, so one day it can be +17C and the night can be -10C so until the weather starts to even out we try to err on the side of heat rather then turn the AC on and have people freezing in the rooms. Thanks for the review!! Cheers, Jeff

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Beds were nice, clean and comfortable. We were in Wicked Hostel two nights. Outside it didn't look nice and we didn't even see it when we drove by. Reception was really small and weird. People working there were nice! If you like meeting new people and being with a lot of people, this is your place. Other visitors were nice, but little bit loud. I woke up in the night because of them. The walls were paper thin. We had our room downstairs and the showers were upstairs, not that nice. Kitchen was nice size, clean and you could do your food when ever (sometimes there were traffic in there). Breakfast was good. The rooms were ok, not the cleanest or warmest. Our room was for six people, there were rooms even for 8, so little bit crowded. When we booked it, they told us that there is going to be one guy in there, so we knew it. He didn't. He was a little bit shocked when he saw five girls in there. So that was bad, for him. But it was really cheap and if I had more time in there I think I would like it more.

Room Tip: If you are used to being with people, then you can choose any room. There is smaller rooms but you s...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hennala

Thanks for the review, if you had more time here I'm sure you would have grown to love it :) Cheers, Jeff

Reviewed 18 February 2014

When i arrived I was wondering if I would like it, but finally I just LOVE it!
The hostel is close of several places (parks, restaurants, casinos, in front of the train station and shoppers). It is a nice place, positive energy EVERYWHERE!!!. You will find friendly and kind people. Free and delicious breakfast!.

Room Tip: If you travel with someone else, you can choose the double bed private whith shared bathroom (less e...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks for the review, I love being able to walk into the hostel and feeling just what you said Positive energy. It was a pleasure having you!! Cheers, Jeff

Reviewed 10 February 2014

** Just like to start saying that I've come to the conclusion that the people who have written negative reviews on here about Wicked Hostels complaining about the most bizarre and quite frankly stupid (ie; complaining the staff do your washing for FREE and you cannot do it yourself, REALLY?!) are the same people who complain about every little facet in life because they have NOTHING better to do... Take what these people write literally with less than a grain of salt. These people are serial whiners and not TRUE backpackers.

Where to start with Wicked... This has to definitely be the second best hostel I have stayed at in North America (first in Montreal). The value for money at this place far exceeds any other hostel I have stayed in. The fact the staff do all your washing for free is just unheard of and gratefully appreciated. Yep, even your dirty undies! ;)
That staff at Wicked make this place what it is and never fail to uphold it's stellar reputation.
Jeff, the owner of wicked and his Dad are two of the most genuine and hilarious people you will meet. They really try and keep this hostel what it should be - a fun, lively & true backpacking style environment. I booked for a week and ended up staying 3 weeks, and even then did not want to leave. Strangers became friends and friends quickly became like a little family. Everyone looks out for one another and respectful of everyone's possessions and space.
** I did notice people complaining of no lockers in the rooms. I must admit not once did I feel like my personal belongings were unsafe or at risk of theft. I often left my phone, wallet, passport etc; on my bed, floor, kitchen table, bathroom without a worry in the world. Some may find that naïve, I believe it just proof of the type of environment Jeff has created and the type of people this place attracts.
I also read a lot of comments on here about the hostel being "cliquey" or hostile... I must admit that my first few days I sat on the couch with my ipad and headphones in and found it really hard to chat to people... I wondered what everyone else's problem was.. Then a lightbulb went off and I realized it wasn't the other people that had the problem, IT WAS ME! I was choosing to isolate myself with my music and head buried in my ipad. I was being ANTI SOCIAL and the other people at the hostel were showing me the respect of space and privacy it looked like I wanted. Once I realized that striking up conversations with people is that way to make friends, everything improved 100000% from there. By the end of my stay I knew I had made friends for life all over the world who I will go out of my way to travel and see in the future.

Just to comment on a few smaller things - breakfast is amazing (even though I only made it to 3 breakfasts in the whole 3 weeks I was there due to being hungover, oops!) and provides everything you need to kick start your day. Location cannot be beat. Right on 17th Ave (close to hundreds of bars, restaurants, 2 casinos, liquor/groceries) and across the rode from the Saddledome (Calgary Flames play there) and also the C-Train station to get you anywhere you need to go in Calgary. Downtown is a short 10 minute walk.

Special mention to Dan, Mike, Paula & Lucas who work extremely hard and make your stay at Wicked always a positive one. I will definitely be back to stay here... Never thought I could miss staying in a hostel but I definitely will always have a soft spot for this place and plenty of memories & friendships that I will take with me on my travels.
It's the little things that count at this hostel, not just the big stuff.
** if you read the website it clearly states this is a party hostel and full of backpackers all looking to have a good time and be social. Yes, we laugh - sometimes loudly. Yes, we play music until midnight. Yes, we drink in the common room mid-week. WE ARE BACKPACKERS and we are here to have a good time. Don't stay here if you want a 12 hour sleep. It's not a cheaper alternative to a hotel room... if you want quiet and boring book in at one of the many hotels around here... If you're outgoing, fun, social and looking to meet an amazing bunch of people, experience an awesome stay and make some life long friends, Wicked Hostels is perfect for you.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms are close to the common area and if you are a boring, unsocial light sleeper - you...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Yowza!! That review actually blew my socks off! You sound like me when I'm trying to defend my baby from bad reviews. After a while you realize some people like to complain, I mean its kinda fun right? Thank you for being so loyal to the hostel, you are truly what Wicked stand for and why I opened it in the first place. We are all on an adventure, some people are on a quiet path and some are on a loud crazy one, Wicked is probably a little more suited to the loud ones. Thanks for the awesome review!!! And it was great having you with us!! (I'm sure you will be back at some point) Cheers, Jeff

Reviewed 2 February 2014

The hostel building is in a good location and it's warm, clean and pleasant. All of the facilities are good and it has some perks that some places don't have, 24hr kitchen with oven, free phone for local or international calls (just not to cell phones), free washing, computers and tea and coffee. The building itself is good but the atmosphere isn't.

I've only stayed here in the winter. In the summer it could be different. But you are not going to fill a hostel with backpackers in Calgary in winter. So most of the people there are guestworkers staying long term. You probably know what young guestworkers are like. They are a bit different from backpackers. A bit rougher. Their clique dominates the hostel to the point where it's unpleasant to go into the public areas. You see a lot of people hiding out in their rooms on their laptops because they feel uncomfortable in the kitchen / common room (myself included). So that really leaves me with a sour taste from the hostel, if I were just rating the facilities / building itself I would give it 4/5. cheers

Room Tip: upstairs is quieter
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

What on earth is a guest worker? Do you mean a Working Holidaymaker? I'd estimate about 75% of backpackers coming through the hostel year-round are on a Working Holidaymaker VISA. That's how I travelled for 4 years working to supplement your travels. We have a 14 day maximum stay in place so not sure who these people were. Thanks for the review on the amenities though!!