“Lovely place”

Wicked Hostels - Calgary
“Lovely place”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here a while ago when I was travelling alone in Canada. I think it's just the amazing Canadian culture as i had great experiences throughout my trip and I enjoyed my stay here. It was clean and tidy and staff were helpful in guiding me where to go as i truly have no sense of direction!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Vankleek Hill, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014

had a great experience at Wicked hostel in Calgary. Location was fantastic for me as it's right across the main entrance to the Calgary Stampede. Great staff, and owners very friendly and knowledgable about surrounding activities as well as ready to join in on the action. great ambiance averall experience.... WICKED! :D

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sabrina D
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We (4 friends) just stayed at the wicked hostel over the last weekend of the stampede. It was the greatest location for the stampede everything was with in a stone throw away. The beds were super comfortable. All the staff were very friendly and we would stay at the hostel again for sure.

Room Tip: try to stay on the second level if possible - kitchen and common rooms are noisy on main level.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Lake Louise, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here for a week and didnt want to leave, stayed in a lot of hostels and this may be the best one yet. Great people and atmosphere, very very friendly.
Top facilities as well, really clean all over and well organised. Cant wait to stay again :)

Laura

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

My gf and I stayed at this hostel for 3 nights, primarily as the Hi Calgary wasn't open in time for our visit. Below are the pros and cons of our stay in my opinion.

Pros:
Staff are great at this place! Very helpful and friendly.

The initial tour of the hostel is a brilliant idea, something that no other hostels do that I've stayed at!

The breakfasts are awesome here! Consisted of fruit pancakes!, toast, cereal, many spreads and free tea and coffee (massive bonus)

Cons:
Monotonous music that's played all day, too loud and too late (until 12pm)! Just lower the volume a tad, stop music at 11pm and mix up the tracks, it really drives you crazy especially if your room is next to the common area - we weren't the only ones there who thought this.

The worst thing about our stay was the lack of sleep. I understand that it's the weekend and we like to party and have a good time but the music was played until 3:30am!! And people where loudly talking until 5am! Its a joke and isn't fair on the majority of the people for whom I know we're affected. You really shouldn't have to stay up till 5am to have a good time.

If you have a 12pm noise rule, enforce it or just don't have it at all! The lack of sleep left us in a fowl mood about the whole place. The room walls are thin and thus the 'noise rule' should accommodate for this.

Thankfully the next few nights were fine, slept well. But it's those one offs that drags these ratings down for you.

As I said, it was a mixed bag as this hostel has some great aspects! Due to the negatives I can't say I would recommend this hostel.

I would hope that the management appreciates my honesty in this review and understands the importance of constructive criticism.

• Stayed May 2014
9 Thank JonCartwright1992
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I'm writing this in this room. It JUST fits a double bed. We are moving to Lake Louise so we have a bit of luggage - not a lot though, so with all that in here there is barely any space to move. Lucky we are only here for one night. Showers and toilets are clean. It's an ok hostel. I have stayed in better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura C
WickedHostels, Owner at Wicked Hostels - Calgary, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
I guess you got the smaller of my two private rooms, yep its definitely cozy. We have luggage storage as well for the excess cargo you may have had. Thanks for the review! Cheers, Jeff
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The person who checked us in was very friendly and showed us around. the kitchen was clean and tidy, as were the showers and toilets. The main problem was that every night it got unbearably hot in the bedroom. There were 8 people in our room so i understand that it is normal for it to get hot, it would be great if they would install air conditioning. The window in the room would not open and sleeping with the door open was not an option due to light and noise. Several people woke up in the morning with headaches from the heat. Also, early on the last morning i was surprised to wake up and find a male staff member standing in the bedroom taking away every ones towels...

Room Tip: If you have the money go for a private room, also try to be on the top floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Just wanted to apologize about the heat. Unfortunately Springtime in Calgary means the temperature changes in upwards of 35 degrees each day, so one day it can be +17C and the night can be -10C so until the weather starts to even out we try to err on the side of heat rather then turn the AC on and have people freezing in the rooms. Thanks for the review!! Cheers, Jeff