“Not great for female travelers that care about safety”

Holiday Inn Calgary Airport
Ranked #67 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 21 October 2013

When I arrived I didn't receive the King room that I requested. The alternate they put me in backed on to the garage area in the back with curtains that don't close - leaving light on all night and ability for people to peer in (I'm a single female traveling). So I requested a room change.

I was moved to a room on the 3rd floor and at 4 months pregnant took my own bags from one room to the other.

First day I realized that the outlet in the bathroom didn't work - not just the hair dryer but the entire outlet. Joanne took the request to have it looked at while I was out all day. There was no note that it was fixed and it wasn't when I returned.

The next morning I called to have it looked at again because I had to plug my flat iron in around the door in the bar area. They finally fixed.

I didn't appreciate this level of service nor the level of safety for a female guest.

The driver of the airport shuttle is a tad aggressive on the road - you know that when everyone grabs on to something for dear life.

Only saving graces this trip was the service in the restaurant which wasn't great last time.

For now - this hotel is off my list of places to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor that doesn't back onto the parking area. I had room 309. Bring a clip t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank CaitieBC
Noel M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for posting your comments regarding your most recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Calgary Airport. I apologize for the inconvenience that you went through in not being able to recieve the proper bed type that you had requested. We will make sure to place your bed type preference on your profile so upon your return you will receive the bed type that you have requested. I will also be speaking to all my shuttle drivers to remind them to drive with care.

Thank you for providing me with this feedback to help our hotel strive for superior customer service.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights over Thanksgiving weekend. We normally really like the Holiday Inn brand. The hotel helped us with our request in letting us have a main floor room. There also is an area of covered parking, which is nice. Unfortunately, upon checking into our room, I immediately could smell a terrible smell of cigarette smoke, with the odor being worse in the bathroom. My sinuses burned from the smell, as I have a slight allergy to the smoke, but I lived with it.

The room was a decent size and very clean, so no problems there. Hubby was impressed with the large TV and HD channels. Having a mini bar area with cupboards, microwave, and fridge was nice (no freezer). Air conditioning and furnace worked well (we used both at different times of the day). We had a really good sleep, the option of having two different firmness of pillows was nice, and the beds were super comfy.

One thing we really missed from the usual Holiday Inn hotel experience was a continental breakfast. We got a few groceries the night before so we could make our own breakfast in our room, but it is nice to just go to the continental and then you don't have to worry about doing this.

Another unfortunate thing was the water temp. I definitely was woken up in the morning as the shower I had was no warmer than lukewarm. I wasn't super happy about this. When I made a bath for my 3-year-old son, even he said he was cold and had to get out.

After spending the cool fall day at Calaway Park, we were pretty chilled. When hubby went to shower and only got lukewarm water, he was mad and went to the front desk about it. We did get really good service when the (manager, I think) came to check it out. He did offer us to move to the room across from us with no water issues and a nicer smelling bathroom/room. He said it was likely an issue with the boilers as they have 2 boiler rooms, and that's why our room was affected and the other one not. The smell I think had something to do with the vents.

Anyway, he offered us some breakfast vouchers and some money off our room. That made it better, and you could tell he wanted to make it up.

The pool was nice and actually warm. Some hotel swimming pools are so cold you can hardly stand it. The hot tub could be bumped up a few degrees, but it was I nice size and actually clean.

Would I stay here again? Probably. Overall, it was a good experience.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Noel M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your most recent experience at the Holiday Inn Calgary Airport. I am sorry for the inconvenince you went through inregards to the hot water issue and the smell of the room once you walked in. I will be taking these concerns to my Housekeeping Manager and Maintanence Manager. I hope that you provide us another opportunity to be of service to you again the next time you visit Calgary.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We have stayed here before we have to fly home and it has been upgraded since then. Brilliant location for airport, spotless, comfortable, ground floor room nice and comfy, and upgraded. Would recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: Think they are upgrading them all now
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KGarry

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay here at the Holiday Inn Calgary Airport. I am happy to hear that you are happy with the recent renovations that we did to our hotel. I hope that we will be able to be of service to you again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I chose this hotel because it was near the airport, but was wowed by what a wonderful Holiday Inn it was. There was a hotel/airport shuttle as expected, but the driver was pleasant and polite. Registration went quickly and the staff was very helpful with my needs. I was able to print out my boarding passes for my early a.m. flight with no problems at their business center, which saved me time in the morning. My room was large and very quiet, which was wonderful. The morning shuttle was on time, so there was no delay getting to the airport.
The hotel was clean, well run and pleasant. I'd certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank robertsmfg
Noel M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay here at the Holiday Inn Calgary Airport. I am happy to hear that your stay with us was an enjoyable one. I hope that we are able to be of sefvice to you again if you are ever visiting Calgary. Once again, thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Located on the East side of town, this Holiday Inn has been recently renovated. It is close to the Airport, but bot so close that all you hear are airplanes landing and taking off. Located just off the Trans Canada Highway, this hotel gives you quick access to all of Calgary.

The newly renovated rooms are well appointed and very quiet. The front office staff are friendly and very helpful.

This is a must stay location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Daniel B
Noel M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Calgary Airport. We are happy that you were able to enjoy your stay. We hope to be the hotel of choice the next time you are visiting the Calgary area.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

really enjoyed my stay with my buddies, staff were very friendly and cooperative....property were so clean and nicely maintained....worth staying....did not get chance visit swimming pool and other amenities.

Room Tip: no idea lol
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Noel M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Thank you for posting your comments regarding your most recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Calgary Airport. We had just finished renovations on our Jacuzzi Suites and we are happy that you were able to enjoy the room. We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

While searching our GPS for a place to it, we picked this place based on it's name "Sunset Grill".
We figured, why not?

We parked at the Holiday Inn, and proceeded upstairs to the restaurant. We were immediately greeted and seated. Table cloths, and fabric napkins - it felt a little fancier than we expected. The prices were very reasonable, and average price.
Our waiter arrived and was very pleasant.
The kids picked from the kids menu (normal kids fare) and the adults choose from the regular menu.
The food was good, and the price was right. Turns out that kids eat free on certain nights, so that was a nice bonus.
The restaurant was very quiet - we were there on a Sunday right around supper time.

We would likely eat there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for posting your comments regarding your dining experience in our Restaurant. We are happy that we were able to exceed your expectations. I hope that upon your next stay, you will be able to stay and utilize our guest rooms.