“Got a great upgrade at no additional cost”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South
Ranked #75 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Great location in south Calgary, with both smoking, and non smoking rooms. Check in was quick, and efficient and the room was large and clean. Better than average breakfast with my favorite litte cinnamon buns.

Room Tip: Priority Club Number, it's free
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank v98roadstar

Reviewed 26 July 2011

I am disappointed at the lack of responsibilty taken for the hotels service. I booked a 2 night stay and upon arrival was told that they only had a smoking room available. I attempted to check to see if it was bad and discovered there was no way I could sleep in the room. Be advised (new information to me) they do not guarentee non-smoking though they ask at the reservation. It was past the cancellation time and I asked if I could call them and cancel within the hour. They said ok.

Find out later they charged me, changed their story, and continuosly change their story. Not once have I heard an apology or any attempt at remidiation. I know that it was past 6pm, and understand their cancellation policy. I however do not understand how I would possibly know that the room they put me in was smoking and unacceptable before I arrived, therefore I had no alternative but to not saty there.

I am a frequent traveller and mistakes and situations happen and I believe that it is ok. However, this is the worst service I have ever recieved from the top. This is a franchise, and the owner will take no responsibility. I advise do not to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank kristie187
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I had a very pleasant stay at this property. I arrived late without a reservation and got a good rate and even an upgrade as I was a Priority Points member: a small suite with kitchenette and sitting room and separate bedroom. There were lots of kids this weekend but it was surprisingly quiet. I thought the breakfast was very generous, with hot entrees, not just continental breakfast. Check in and out staff were very pleasant. Getting in and out of the property off Macleod Trail is a bit awkward. I will book again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank EastKootenayVisitor
Reviewed 2 June 2011

I recently had the privelage of coming to Calgary for a Cat Show and got to stay at this Holiday Inn Express. Let me say it was one of the best stays i've had in Calgary in a long time. Hotel is nicely situated in a great location with quite a few ammenities near by. the front desk staff i met were quite helpful with arranging a taxi for me and were very knowledable and polite!. Thanks to everyone who helped make my stay a pleasure. I'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank DrMeow
Reviewed 27 May 2011

My son was booked from May 26th to June 02nd, 2011 to attend the Scotiabank Marathon which is being held on May 29th. Due to some unexpected issues he had to cancel his trip. Booked him on the next flight back to Thunder Bay on May 28th then called the front desk and explained to them the situation. I was told that I needed to speak with the manager to get my son his refund. I also dealt with Charlotte and I believe this women needs to get some schooling on PR because she was pretty pathetic. Was told that my son could use the credit for the next 60 days but would not refund him his money. I informed her that after he checks out they are going to be rebooking his room. People please however reads this review take my advice do not book at this motel!! By the way he was charged $1030.00 which she informs me was a good deal.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank shiner3
HIECalgarySouth, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2011

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. As we discussed, your sons reservation was booked as an “Advance Purchase” discount rate. The terms for this discount are: This rate is nonrefundable, requires full prepayment, and is charged to your credit card. Modifying, canceling your reservation or failing to arrive will result in forfeiture of your deposit” These terms are clearly laid out on the website used to reserve the room. I understand that your sons travel plans changed and again advise you to contact your travel insurance provider to see if they are able to assist you in recovering any hotel and airline cancelation penalties you incurred as a result.

We believe that our cancellation policy is more generous than most, particularly in our offer of accommodation credit. While we always regret imposing cancellation and no-show penalties. We have found it necessary to manage our inventory and provide the best possible service to our guests. It also allows us to maintain our policy of not overbooking the hotel in busy periods. We prefer to guarantee our guests the accommodation they have reserved. It also allows us to predict our staffing levels, and set competitive room rates without building in a cost to cover the expense of no-shows and cancellations.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment, I wish you and your family peace during this difficult time.

Reviewed 7 May 2011

I've used the ICH group of hotels for three years now and never had such a poor experience with management as with this one. Upon check-in for a 6 day stay, it was found that I had inadvertently booked two identical rooms. I explained this was a mistake per our new travel system at work and the front desk staff said that this would be taken care of, no problem. Only to find out two days later that the Manager, Charlotte Cronin, was intending to charge me. This manager also claims to be the owner of the property, Stanley Park Investment LTD. Her only offer was to provide a 'free' night within 60 days, I said please apply this to my last night. She wouldn't. She also claimed that the hotel was full but when I was checking in, a person behind me in line was requesting a room and was turned away! If this person is truly the owner of this establishment, then I would steer clear of it. It is unfortunate that a large chain like this works so hard on customer service only to have individuals like this give it a black eye. I told everyone in my organization about this service and I know of at least one co-worker that has changed his reservation. Not what you should expect when away on a business trip and a frequent traveler.

My money was all that she cared about.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank FrequentTravelerDino
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Stayed Dec 25/10 for one night. All was average except the breakfast which was poor to say the least. The hotel was rather busy and the breakfast staff outright refused to replenish the breakfast bar. Guests were left with toast and fruit as their choices. Not what one expects from a HIE!!

I advised trhe front desk and they indicated that the breakfast bar should be fully avaialble and stocked until breakfast of officially finished serving. This was not the case. The front desk staff aplogized, however that provided little consolation as my family and I searched for a Smittys or Perkins close by

Not good!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank DJRCanada
HIECalgarySouth, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2011

Thank you for the review. I apologize that our limited Holiday breakfast on Christmas did not satisfy your family. Our goal is for everyone to leave our hotel satisfied and I am sorry that we missed the mark during your stay. I hope that someday you will give our hotel another chance and enjoy our full breakfast buffet which includes fluffy scrambled eggs, cheese omelets, bacon and sausage, sticky-sweet cinnamon rolls, an assortment of fresh fruits, yogurt, and breakfast cereals and breads, fruit juices, 2% and skim milk, and our very own 100% Arabica Smart Roast Coffee. We look forward to having you as our guest again.