“Best Hotel in Calgary”

Ranked #76 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Sylvan Lake, Canada
“Best Hotel in Calgary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

I've been travelling to Calgary every week for the past two years and have stayed in many hotels throughout the city. This is by far the best hotel I have stayed in. The location is ideal in terms of accessibility to multiple dining locations and shopping which are only a short walk away. The rooms are great and there are several amenities throughout the facility. The hotel management and staff will go above and beyond their call of duty to make sure you have a pleasant stay during your entire visit. Due to the high standard quality of service the hotel is often booked solid so I book rooms several months in advance to rule out any chance of staying elsewhere. My peers and employees within the company I work for rates this location as #1 on the top 10 list. Come and witness it for yourself.

Room Tip: If travelling with young kids, the jacuzzi room is a great choice. When travelling with my family, m...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

The Manager here was so upset over my response to the Holiday Inn's customer service survey, where I pointed out customer service issues; she THREW ME OUT of the hotel. She called the police and had me removed from the property. The police were not needed, in fact I chatted with them in the parking lot afterwards and they felt the call was a total waste of their time. I was not hostile nor was I combative. This Manager is nuts.

When I returned to the hotel after a day of work I found my room keys didn't work and my personal items were locked inside. When I approached the desk they wanted to charge me a rate higher than the agreed upon rate. The manager was called and things went downhill from there. She had agreed to the rate on this reservation 2 weeks prior but now wanted to charge more. To add insult the Manager chose to charge me for the night that she kicked me out and at a rate $70 higher than agreed upon rate. That is over $300 in over charges. Maybe that is how she keeps her job. She would not give me the Owners name and number so I could speak to him.

I am a reasonable professional who travels routinely(over 220 nights a year). When I asked to have my bill charged to the agreed upon corporate rate, I was accused of being abusive to the staff. When did asking someone to honor their commitments become abusive? I am a very seasoned professional business traveler. I have experienced great customer service and enjoyed many comfortable hotels over my years of business travel; this is not one of them.

After being kicked out without a reservation for the evening I got great service and a nice room at the Delta Hote. It is located north about 1km. Their rate for me walking in was better than the corporate rate at the Holiday Inn, the room was more comfortable and the staff was friendly and courteous. If you are staying in South Calgary on business my advice is try the Delta.

Room Tip: Choose no room at this hotel. The manager is belligerent and combative and the staff follows her exa...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Business_Traveler544
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Dear Business_Traveler544,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Calgary South Macleod Trail South, AB. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Oakham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Providing you're willing to do it yourself, this hotel is fair. When we arrived (August 6th, 2013), we had two heavy cases, having flown in from the UK. I asked if they could help (my wife is disabled) but no, they had no-one could help with that. However, you can use the luggage trolleys yourself . . One of the wheels was dodgy, so I struggled to get it all into the elevator, but eventually we got to our room, and a cleaning lady volunteered to help us get the cases in. There is air conditioning in the room, but none of the controls on the aircon unit seemed to work. We later discovered the controller was on the opposite wall. There was an internet connection plug under the lamp on the desk, but that didn't work. I later discovered there was another connection further along the wall (unmarked).which did work.

I spoke to the hotel manager, and said it would be good if new arrivals could get help with their cases. She said there was no-one appointed to do that, unless a member of staff went 'beyond the call of duty' to do that. I suggested it would be good for guests to be shown how the air conditioning worked, how to work the shower, how the rather unusual coffee maker actually worked, where the internet connection actually was (by chance a passing maintenance man showed us eventually). I quote the manager's response : "We've no time for all that, this is a big hotel (105 rooms)".

So if you want to do-it-yourself, this hotel is OK, but don't expect much help, or sympathy from the manager. By the way, our grandchildren did like the pool, and the guy who prepares the breakfast room, and cleans the tables, does a very good job.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank daviddeed
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear daviddeed,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Krysllin G
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

The room was great - price, competitive...but almost any hotel can provide these valued qualities. When it comes to the speed and efficiency of check-in this hotel falls flat on its face. Check out was an equal disappointment as I stood at the counter for 20 minutes staring at a 'be back in 10 minutes' sign. I have a flight to catch, lol - where are you people. I am sure this hotel is victim to poor corporate budgeting - but all in all a decent stay. Considering how many choices I have, I will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Tuesday949
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear Tuesday949,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the majority of features provided. I apologize for the services that you have received which is not up to your par. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

By far the worst customer service we have ever experienced with local hotel management. If you are a group, just stay away from this hotel. They do not appreciate your business or care about your personal well being. This hotel will never have business from our groups again.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Saskratchurass
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear Saskratchurass,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service and it is our regret that we failed to deliver an exemplary performance in this context. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling below your expectations. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken.

Lera P
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

I canceled my booking without reading the Refund policy which would have left me $3000 in the hole, but Kim at the Holiday Inn graciously worked with me to find a solution. I will be sure to stay here on my next visit to Calgary.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sam L
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed in the king suite room and it was wonderful. The room was nicely decorated, had 2 separate rooms for the bedroom and the livingroom and each had a tv, and was very comfortable. There is also complimentary breakfast which has a good variety of food. We would stay there again because it was easy to relax in, a good location and the bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple