“All the Basics at a Decent Price”

Ranked #65 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Chicago, Illinois
“All the Basics at a Decent Price”
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Since I was touring this part of Canada by Greyhound bus, I did not have a car available to me. Unless you are traveling by car, or unless you plan to focus your visit to Calgary around the nearby University - you will find that this Travelodge is NOT conveniently located. It is on a traffic island, surrounded by a confusing spaghetti bowl of highways. There is public transportation available, but it is very difficult to go anywhere from this location on foot.

There was another problem with my reservation at this location. When I arrived, the clerk had no record of my reserving a room here. We eventually found out that I had actually booked at their affiliated EconoLodge, but the cab driver had for some reason dropped me off here at the Travelodge proper. We spent over an hour cancelling my reservation at the presumably distant EconoLodge, and registering me here.
Later, another desk clerk told me that the affiliated EconoLodge was in fact just around the corner from this Travelodge. The two motels share a wall, but have different addresses. This more knowledgeable clerk said that cab drivers and people in general are always mixing up the two entities - dropping people at one door when they should drop them at the other door a few feet away around the corner. It seems the original clerk I dealt with had just been hired and was unaware of this proximity of the two related Lodges. So be aware of this in case you also face confusion when you try to check in.

Also, there are few dining options available here if you are on foot. Luckily, I found a Dennie's nearby, so I didn't starve.

Otherwise, this Travelodge was clean and well-functioning. But there was nothing outstanding about it for me. If I were to come to Calgary again, I would make an effort to book a hotel/motel in the downtown area rather than out in this no-man's-land of a "Motel Village."

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Rosalie S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
kelowna
Reviewed 23 October 2011

There are only a few hotels in Calgary's NW so if you want to be near the University or the Hospital you will probably stay on the hotel/motel strip on Crowchild. We got a special deal on a so called 1 bedroom king room. I say so called because the bed area was separated from the living area by a part wall and no door. It was quite spacious and clean. The decor is somewhat dated but in good repair. The breakfast was a basic continental and we didn't like the coffee quality. One morning it was very crowded. There are plenty of places to eat within walking distance. We found it somewhat noisy as it is on a major road. In addition there was a very noisy argument outside our window at 2am one night. The exterior area is functional concrete but the free parking was appreciated - especially in Calgary.Don't look for great aesthetics on the strip. However, it seemed to be fairly well run and at the price was good value.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank eaglebudd2
Saskaton
Reviewed 11 October 2011

This hotel has excellent staff and the rooms are very clean. The breakfast is also very good. We also find the location perfect for our needs and is close proximity to everyone we want to see. This location is very close to everything we require.

Room Tip: We really like the main floor.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank JoycedSaskaton
TlodgeUnv, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary University, responded to this review, 20 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to share your experience regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 403 289-6600.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 September 2011

When you can stay in a clean room, centrally located, in a major canadian City for about $70.00 a night, it's a deal, in my books! I understood this was not a 5 Star from the get go, but the bed was clean and comfortable, bathroom clean, and stocked with toiletries, coffee, as well as free wifi.
There is a small continental breakfast available in the Hotel lobby, and the shopping center on Hwy 1 is a short walk away, with a gym for working out. My AC unit was noisy, but worked, and for me, not an issue. The interior was a bit dated, but as I mentioned, I understood that from the get go. In the end, good value, and looked after my needs just fine.

Room Tip: The rooms on the west side are quieter, and you might consider staying on the second floor, so you d...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank SprBaje

Wyoming
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed at the Travelodge twice on either end of our trip to Canadian Rockies. This is a typical older motel for a decent price. The first room had very comfortable beds but the second had old lumpy mattresses - hopefully this means the place is replacing the older beds. Our rooms were very clean but obviously older and in need of some renovations. The biggest problem was that the air conditioner is VERY loud - but it did a good job of covering up the spouse's snoring. Our room had a fridge and microwave. The continental breakfast was very good with hard boiled eggs, good crousants, yogurt, etc. The location was good and is right across the street from the light rail train and around the corner from some decent restaurants. We would probably stay there again but would ask for a room with the better beds. Our rating for the place would be a "4" for the first room and a "3" for the second. I'll round up and give it a "4".

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kjtrdlnp
TlodgeUnv, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary University, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to share your experience during your recent stay

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We would appreciate it more if you can contact us and share your room number. This will help us identify the old mattress and also the loud A/C. We hope to be of service to you in the future.

Regards,
Kobbie Larbi G.M.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Our family pre booked and got a really great deal so it was affordable. However, we walked into the room to find food on the floor and a huge stain on the sheets. We always check sheets for bedbugs, so we really search beds. There were no plastic covering which is very scary considering the spread of bed bugs. There weren't any bugs as far as we could see. We called and had to be moved as there were no cleaning staff available. That stinks. We were moved to another gross room. We moved the desk chair and the leg of the chair kicked out a half eaten apple. We were frustrated. The desk clerk was very friendly and clearly embarrassed. We couldn't cancel and move to another hotel as we got it so cheap. You get what you pay for. The breakfast was good though.

Room Tip: Prebook online and you will get a discount for multiple stays.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank CamoreDreamer

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. I have had an emergency meeting with the whole Housekeeping department to ensure that this level of cleanliness is not repeated.

We do appreciate your business and welcome the opportunity to serve you under more favorable circumstances in the very near future.

Regards,
Kobbie Larbi G.M.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Property appears to be older and is showing its age. Entire property had a strong cleanser smell (and not a pleasent one). Outdoor pool is shared with neighboring hotel and hand a number of bugs and leaves floating around in it.

On the plus side, the hotel was easy to find (just off of Trans Canadian 1) and was walking distance to a number of restaurants. Staff was also very helpful in directing us to places to eat.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jim K
TlodgeUnv, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary University, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
Thank you very much for sharing your experience during your recent stay at the Travelodge Calgary University.

Be assured that your comment will be thoroughly investigated especially concerning the conditions of the outdoor pool as well as the cleanser smell.

Our maintenance department have been spending quality time in each guest room to make sure they are up to date. We hope to be of service to you in the very near future.

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 403 289-6600.