“Perfect stay in a great location”

Best Western Plus Suites Downtown
Ranked #28 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My wife and myself s tyed here for 3 nights a tthe beginning of June. I would say that with it's location near the downtown core (or City Centre) is it perfect. You could probably walk to the core area in 20 or so minutes, or to the C-train in 10. There is a Safeway grocers about a 5 min walk away and some pretty good restaurants another 5-10 or so minutes away walking. Although there is free parking, we tried to walk to most locations.

We had a king room and it was perfect. Perfeclty clean and roomy. I picked this hotel on price based upon what other downtown hotels cost and I was super happy with my choice. Although this hotel seems to be a major staying place for business travelers, as older people on a holiday this was a great choice too. They have a small kitchenette in the room along with a mini-fridge. You could probably cook a meal although they "stove" were electric burners, why not go out and try some Alberta Beef when you are there. The did have the basic continental breakfast with juices, cereal, milk, coffee, breads, rolls and of course the do it yourself wafflemaker (and thank you to the nice woman working the breakfast room, helped with my ineptness trying to learn the basics of waffle making!).

The front desk was very helpful in getting me directions to places I wanted to see, and they have a nice little business/computer room if you need to use a computer, although they do provide free internet in the rooms. FYI, although the hotel has free WIFI, it was faster using the cable (cad) connector in the room rather then the WIFI,,the cable is in the desk.

If I make it back to Clagary (and I want t o be there some year for the Stampede) this will be my choice of hotels to saty at.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ron Z
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Suites Downtown

Reviewed 28 May 2011

We stayed at this hotel in Calgary for just one night after a Rocky Mountaineer train trip from Calgary and before going to Vancouver Island..
This hotel chosen because it is one of the locations that Pacific Coach Lines will pick-up from for their service to Victoria, Vancouver Island.

We arrived at about 6pm and were greeted in a friendly an efficient manner. Our room was swiftly allocated `and was perfect for our needs - a little smaller than some, but with a very confortable bed, nice decor and well furnished and equiped. The airconditioning unit worked quietly and effectively (unlike our previous night in Kamloops.....)

We didn't need to eat so cannot comment on the bar / restaurant.

But would use the hotel again and recommend it for anyone needing a comfortable, cost-effective downtown hotel.

Room Tip: aswk for a higher floor
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 11 May 2011

As a consultant who travels from coast to coast I have been a frequent guest at the newly renovated Best Western PLUS Suites Downtown Calgary for more than a decade. Many of these reasons are practical and make enormous sense for the business person. Being in a suite and close to the downtown core with available parking both surface and underground is a real advantage year round. You are only a 5 to 10 minute walk to a large grocery store, great variety of restaurants of all types and prices, drug stores, gas station, public transit and access to a diverse shopping zone that ranges from the reasonable to up scale. After long days of working and meetings there isn’t a better location in Calgary and frankly I have tried almost all of them.

However, Best Western PLUS Suites Downtown Calgary works for me is because of the staff. They have always been more than helpful and respond quickly and effectively to requests. The right staff, location and facility make it a pick for me, my staff and my colleagues.

Room Tip: for single traveller: room 70 on each floor
5  Thank PJMT-SALT
Reviewed 9 May 2011

My husband and I have been staying at the Best Western on 14 St. and 8th Avenue on a regular basis basically since 1996. The staff are wonderful, the location is excellent for us, and all of our needs have been met. The new elevator system is a definite asset to the efficiency of the hotel.

Room Tip: We like the __90 rooms on the higher floors.
3  Thank shirleymcb
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I would recommend this hotel to anyone for its great staff, clean rooms, friendly reception, and downtown location.

3  Thank calgarybound41
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Over the past 20 years or so, I have been visiting Calgary on business or pleasure, and have stayed at a great many different hotels (equivalent 3-4-5 star). About 12 months ago, I tried this one, and was impressed by the friendly, courteous, efficient staff; the clean and comfortable rooms (with kitchenettes); the copious buffet breakfasts; and the free outdoor parking, and (even better) free secure, indoor parking (great when it has been snowing all night, and you want to get into a warm, dry car!)

The hotel has a business centre, with two computers, which is very handy. While not in the very centre of the downtown area, it is only a few blocks by car, and I even enjoyed the walk north and northeast to the theatres and pedestrian precinct of Stephen Avenue.

I love the view of downtown Calgary from the upper floors. The hotel has brand-new elevators, so waiting on the upper floors will now be speedy.

Room Tip: Corner ones quietest; but cold walls in winter!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Professional-Pilgrim
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I have been staying at this BW hotel location for the last few years for all my business travels. The convenience of free parking, proximity to bus/LRT routes and being so close to 17th Ave with all its shopping and restaurants is very appealing.

The hotel serves up a decent continental break fast and the suites are always clean; as well, having ready, reliable access to wireless internet at no additional cost is appealing.

Best of all, staff has always been very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business