“Suncor trip”

Best Western Plus Suites Downtown
Ranked #29 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Was fine for my first two days of this 7 day trip. I used the hotel as a stay over while waiting for my contract to start. It was nice, but not as close as I needed for the remainder of the week. Moved to another city after leaving the hotel to work on the contract.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Dennis K
Ari O, Manager at Best Western Plus Suites Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Dear Dennis K,

I am sorry to hear circumstanes didn't allow for you to stay with us longer. We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us the next time you are in Calgary. We look forward to your return.

Best Wishes.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

The hotel itself is pretty nice, but management is terrible! Management is rude, condescending, and could careless about solving any problem you might have. I have been in a mess of phone calls between my bank and the hotel for 3 days now with no progress! I was double charged for their deposit of $250, when I only paid $180 for a 2 night stay! They will tell you that these charges will be placed back in your account immediately, which is a big fat lie! Charges are now adding up to over $650 for my 2 nights and I'm still stuck with fees that I DO NOT owe them! They refuse to give any sort of receipt for these charges or release them from the hold, claiming they are "paperless and simply can't do that". Think twice if you are staying internationally! It's been completely outrageous that I have gone this far out of my way and they have been so unwilling to even work out the situation! Have to say after this mess, I will NEVER stay in another Best Western! It's not worth the hassle after your vacation, trust me! For the price I have had to deal with, I could have paid for a better hotel for a longer stay! Worst experience by far I have ever had! Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere before you have to deal with the same mess.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank goltiania
calgaryGeorgecalgary, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Suites Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear Goltiania,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel.
We sincerely take guests comments and concerns to heart.
We do apologize on your bank’s behalf for their processing procedures.
Our reservation system reverses pre authorizations immediately but it is banking institutions regulations that can create a delay in the process and for the reversal to show on your banking statement. Pre authorizing credit cards for accommodations is a standard industry practice and are not considered by Banking Institutions as a charge on a credit card but considered as a hold of funds. With no charge on the credit card, no receipt is provided by the banking system. We would like to help you resolve your banking issue with your credit card provider. Please contact me, Ari Othitis Guest Services Manager, with more details, and it would be my pleasure to assist you in this matter.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Hotel didn't have much curb appeal but the rooms were nice , roomy and comfortable. The staff at the hotel were helpful and friendly. I used the business center to print boarding passes and everything worked perfectly. In room Internet service was as fast as I needed. The gym facilities were adequate and the breakfast room was clean with a good variety of food.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank Donald N
calgaryGeorgecalgary, General Manager at Best Western Plus Suites Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear Donald N,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

We are very happy to read that you enjoyed our facilities and the interaction with our staff. We will certainly pass your lovely comments onto them.

With regards to property, we are looking at doing major renovations in the near future.

Thank you again and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

George Dahbour

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stayed at the Best Western when I was deployed to Calgary as a Red Cross volunteer. The rooms are homey and the personnel are just charming. The breakfast was more than a continental it had everything you can hope for. Thanks to Best Western I was able do 12 hour volunteer work for the people of Calgary and come back and rest to reboot my energy for the next day. I was lucky to stay there and every where I travel my first thought is to stay at the Best Western because of their consistancy of service and hospitality across the chain.
Merci

Room Tip: I visited a suite where a few freinds were staying it was like an apartment, huge. If you go with f...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Monique G
Ari O, Manager at Best Western Plus Suites Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear Monique G,

On behalf of the entire staff I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for all the positive feedback. Our long time association with The Red Cross whether it is housing people affected by disaster over the years, the corporate staff or volunteers is important to us and always will be. It has been a very time for Calgarians this summer but having people like you staying with us made it much easier to deal with.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 24 July 2013

The location is good, especially for Stampede, as we could walk to the Stampede grounds in about 25 minutes, and were just a couple of blocks away from the many restaurant options of 17th Avenue, a large Safeway supermarket and the Downtown area.

We had a two bedroom suite (a king and a queen bed) with a further double sofa bed. There's a fridge, kettle and microwave, and coffee maker.

The room was clean if a little in need of refreshment, just a symptom of heavy use but nothing tangible. The breakfast buffet was actually pretty good - the usual fare of waffles, muffins, bagels, cereal; so no need to go hungry if that suffices.

There is also what seemed to be ample parking.

The problems were that the toilet blocked three times, including within the first few minutes of our stay. In fairness, this was sorted out quickly. The second was that on the second morning one of the two elevators broke and the remaining one seemed to be in constant use by the housekeeping staff with no regard to guests waiting on the lobby level to get back to their rooms.

This is not a classy hotel, but it is a functional one and a reasonable choice if you want family sized rooms.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jonben
calgaryGeorgecalgary, General Manager at Best Western Plus Suites Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear Jonben,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor!

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and the amenities /location!
We will share your good comments with our staff and apologize for one of the elevators being out of commission that morning, there was a card reader error and the situation was promptly rectified.

Again, thank you for you review and look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Yours truly,

George Dahbour

Reviewed 22 July 2013

we stayed at Bw plus suites over the Calgary rodeo and stampede. it was excellent service, room and food. we stay at BW plus suites on most trips, where they are available. I highly recommend this location.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Ari O, Manager at Best Western Plus Suites Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear Donald33175,

Thank you so much for sharing your candid feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your room and breakfast. Thank you for your kind remarks pertaining to our service team. Comments like yours are what inspire our efforts to craft memorable stays for our guests. Our motto of service is to serve with no expectations of receiving anything in return, except our guests' desire to visit with us again. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you!

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I recently stayed with my family at the Best Western Suites and have to say that it was a solid stay. The rooms were clean, the staff was accommodating and dealt with my two requests in a timely fashion.(more towels & wine glasses). The parking was a little tight for my big truck but over all it met my expectations. It's definitely not a 5 star hotel but I slept well and the hotel was extremely quiet at night. I'd stat here again.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Raydayle
Ari O, Manager at Best Western Plus Suites Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear Raydayle,

Thank you for being a valued Trip Advisor contributor and reviewing our property. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon!

Regards,