“back to the past”

Best Western Plus Suites Downtown
Ranked #28 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Here is a hotel that has a prime location for business people, who need to be downtown and have longer term accomodation that can offer kitchens etc.....BUT...its old, shabby and is not worth having the BW plus designation....the furniture is 1950's and in the suite I was in...very dirty. although we were in a non smoking suite..the sofa had a distinct tobacco smell to it...carpet is old and hard. The window to the balcony are old technology and cannot contribute to energy savings...the wind blowing around and through the edges of the windows was so loud, we could not hear the tv without turning up the sound loud....and that was without a chinook.
No...this place needs a major overhaul and brightening...its dowdy and reminds one of the bates motel....
Business center was good, with two computers and a b and w printer. the staff were generally very nice and helpful. BUT....I was told the airport bus parked at the rear door and so went there and waited and just happened to glance back through the lobby as it stopped at the front doors....you would have thought the morning front desk staff would know.....really.

Room Tip: the sunsets are great with a west facing room...but in windy conditions...the noise is horrendous.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
calgaryGeorgecalgary, General Manager at Best Western Plus Suites Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Footsac,

Thank you for you taking the time to write a review!
We were frankly very surprised to read your comments regarding your room, as we have had many very positive guests reviews from clients in this exact same room.
If in the future you ever encounter any issue with your room, please contact the front desk staff in order we may immediately address your concerns.

Providing superior guests experiences is of utmost importance to us at the Best Western , and as such we are constantly renovating and updating our facility.
We certainly hope that we will be to welcome you again to our hotel on your next trip to Calgary.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Suites Downtown

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We have two hotels of choice when we stay in Calgary. Best Western Plus Suites and a competitor. Depending on the rate we can get it WAS a toss up between which one we stayed at. At the time, the quality of this hotel was somewhat similar to the other. During our last stay however, we noticed a notable difference with the Best Western; it was cleaner, staff were friendlier and more professional, breakfast improved.

The hotel is very close city centre...a Safeway is close by...our room had a fridge and microwave which made it very easy to by little essentials..Really this turned out to be our home away from home.

We had one little comment on check out...the Internet service was extremely slow during part of our stay. In saying that, they had a sign in the elevator stating that they were working on improving the service; seeing that made it easier to understand what was going on.

We would definitely recommend this hotel for business or pleasure travel. Very comfortable and close to many bars and restaurants...

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high up on the East side. You get a view of downtown which is very nice at night.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
calgaryGeorgecalgary, General Manager at Best Western Plus Suites Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

dear Clgaryguy,

Thank you so much for your awesome review and to hear that you think of us as your home away from home!

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Calgary.

Best regards,

Reviewed 10 April 2014

My stay at the hotel was great but I would like to commend the following staff members as I lost my car keys and didn't realise until I checked out.
Allan and Izzy.. Thank you very much for going above and beyond to help me find my keys.
Stacey and Christa. The front desk girls. Thank you for making us feel comfortable in the lobby during those crazy hours and for all your help searching the web for contacts.
Uzma. You are a delight. So personable and you eased my tense moments without you even realising you were doing it.
The kindness of the staff is something I will never forget. Thank you all
Rose.

Room Tip: The suites have 2 rooms, kitchen and living room. Very nice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Rose I,

It is very heart warming to read your review and we thank you for this.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

I have stayed in many hotels over the years I travel a lot. It's important for my business to have my laptop ready to go at all times. To my dismay I left my charger at home and my battery was almost dead. I called the front desk and the manger let me use his charger .
In my mind that's just one more reason I choose this Best Western when I am in Calgary.
Love it, and again great job guys.

Room Tip: The side facing the street, fun to watch people walking about the city. But a good skyline from the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CanadaDeanw

Dear CanadaDeanw,

Thank you for your trip advisor review!

We are so happy that we were able to assist you with your laptop.

We look forward to hosting you in the near future.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Had no problem getting to the hotel downtown. There was free underground parking and that was a bonus as Calgary is a very expensive city to park in. Upon check in I was upgraded to a two bedroom suite. Checked out breakfast and it was decent but did not stay as I had other plans for the morning. Only issue overall to speak of was WiFi was intermittent but there was an Ethernet cable in the desk so I was able to switch over to LAN.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
calgaryGeorgecalgary, General Manager at Best Western Plus Suites Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Rob O,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review.

We are happy to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable! We are also pleased to inform you that we have recently upgraded our internet services to meet the ever increasing level of excellence that our guests expect.

Thank you and we look forward to hosting you in the near future.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I will never be going back to this hotel. The front desk executive was the only hotel staff I interacted with and she was rude and unprofessional. She was very poorly trained on how to use a travel card and readjust the room charges accordingly. So she conveniently swiped my CC twice. I was very disappointed in the overall experience of the service at this hotel.

1  Thank jovita_a

Dear jovita_a,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.

Regarding the Best Western gift card, we process this as a separate payment on account rather than an overall reduction in rate. A credit card is always required and swiped at check in.
If there was any confusion on your part, please always feel free to speak to the manager to clarify any concerns you may have.

We are always available and happy to help!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I honestly can say that we could not find a thing wrong with this hotel. From check in to check out it was great. The room was huge, clean and quiet. The beds were comfortable and the staff were always smiling and helpful.

1  Thank Lisa L

Dear Lisa L,

Thank you for a completing such a nice survey about our hotel!

We are so pleased that your stay was enjoyable from start to finish.

We look forward to welcoming back again on your next trip to Calgary.

Best regards,