“Horrible Experience”

Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Carstairs, AB
“Horrible Experience”
Reviewed 11 November 2008

My Husband and I Booked and stayed at the Port O Call on McKnight Blvd In Calgary Alberta – We checked in November 8th and checked out Nov 9th. We were celebrating our 10th year wedding anniversary. We requested a Jacuzzi suite with a romance package – I was told that at the time I made the reservations that the package included, in addition to the room, a bottle of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, breakfast for 2 and flowers. Our room was clean and nice.

Upon arrival I found the front desk person to be abrupt and rather rude.

On our way down to dinner I stopped at the front desk and asked about the free breakfast we were to receive, I was verbally told that breakfast was good until 10:30 – I did not think to read the vouchers given to us. I should have – the following morning we went down at 10:00 – pulled out the vouchers and discovered the breakfast we could have had gratis was only until 10:00 am – so we paid for the brunch.

Our romantic dinner (in Destiny’s) was ruined by a waitress crying as she walked by, she could also be audibly heard sobbing uncontrollably somewhere in the restaurant for several minutes. Someone showed up in a burgundy uniform and while walking by quite aggressively/rudely asked us if everything was all right. I gave her a thumbs up as I was speechless. Our food was cold, and of substandard quality, my husband had the slow roasted chicken, it was dry and unappetizing. I had a Steak; it was freezer burned around the edges and also unpalatable. Under normal circumstances we should have sent the food back to the kitchen, however with the waitress being as upset as she was, I was not comfortable doing so.

I had to call down at 7:30 pm to the front desk to enquire as to the arrival of our romance package, I was told the person would call me back in 5 minutes, there was a knock on the door instead, and roses and champagne arrived. The timing of the knock at the door was inconvenient, this was a romantic evening for us, the champagne was fine but my roses had brown tips – signifying that they were not very fresh. At around 9:00 the front desk called up and said we had a gift basket coming up that they had forgotten to give us. I thought this would be our chocolates and ? What came upstairs was surely a mistake! A white paper gift bag with 1 bottle of water, a small bag of sun chips, a small chocolate (similar to what other hotels leave on the pillow) and a chocolate cigar. Are you kidding me??????

At no time did I find the staff at the hotel overly helpful, friendly or knowledgeable – all questions were deferred and we were told to call down at 7:00 am (to arrange late check out) - cleaning staff being the exception – I feel extremely ripped off. I spent almost $500.00 for a one night stay in this hotel for what was to be a memorable celebration of my 10 marraige, I have never had such a disappointing experience.

• Disliked — The quality of Service
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank TheBarefootRobin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 30 August 2008

I have always liked this motel. For the following reasons; First the location. It is conveniently located close to YYC. Second the amenities. There is a nice indoor pool and hot tub (Coming Soon: Indoor Waterpark). Also there is a medium sized fitness center and there is a restaurant on-site. The staff is always friendly and the hotel is very clean. It is close to a movie theatre and a mall.

Stayed August 2008
alberta
Reviewed 1 March 2008

My husband and I had stayed at the calgary port-o-call many times either before or after our vacations. It is nice and close to the calgary international airport. They also offer a shuttle service(for a small fee) to the airport and free parking at the hotel if you need to leave your car, which is nice for travelers that live outiside of calgary.
The rooms are very clean but are basic and old with dated decor. they are in the middle of a upgrade/renovation however. the front desk staff are professional and friendly. In the few years we have been using the hotel we didn't encounter any problems until our last stay. we had the rudest, grumpiest, meanest shuttle driver we have ever encountered. he was late and had no regard for the scheduled departure times the hotel offers (runs every 30 minutes). after he was late and drove very reckless to the airport he demanded a tip and yelled at us and the other travelers when he did not receive one. he tossed our luggage and bags to the ground. He did this when we left the hotel and when we came back. It leaves a really bad impression of the hotel and of calgary. We will probably stay at another calgary airport hotel next time we travel as there are a few others to choose from.
Overall the hotel is a good value for a decent price.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank myreviewAlberta
newcastle
Reviewed 9 October 2005

An airport hotel from a major chain everything you would expect. Would use again if ever fortunate enough to visit Calgary and the surrounding area again.

• Stayed August 2005
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Reviewed 3 May 2005

For the price, despite all of the fancy descriptions, this is a very ordinary hotel. Its only advantage is that Enterprise Car Rental has a desk and excellent service when the front desk is open. The car rental agency works basically office hours. 0800 - 2000 hrs. This does not accommodate business travellers who usually arrive in the evening and leave early in the morning. Budget Rent a Car at the Vancouver Airport, when I washed cars there in 1970, was open 0600 - 2300 hrs. If Enterprise's operating hours were extended to something similar this would be a first class car rental facility. I was also extremely pleased with the vehicle that I was upgraded to. Except for the reduced working hours, the service is excellent.

Not so for the Hotel. The Port O'Call Hotel sells its cheapest rooms for $129.00. It is an ordinary room with nothing outstanding. For the same price I got a better luxury room at the Fairmont Hot Springs Resort, with full free access to the adjacent hot springs. My only reason for my using the Port O'Call Hotel was because a car rental agency was located there and the hotel's proximity to the Calgary Airport. When booking the hotel room weeks before I had inquired about the shuttle service to the airport and also to the airport industrial area. I was advised when booking the room and again at checking in, that the Hotel run shuttle service would transport me directly to the AeroCentre while enroute to the main terminal. It runs each half hour. When the shuttle bus pulled up at 0600 hrs, I spoke with the driver telling him the arrangements that the hotel had stated. He flatly refused to take me to the AeroCenter. I advised him what the hotel staff had said and he again refused. I went back to the hotel desk and told them what was happening. I have never seen such a disinterested group in my life who just stood there and then said that the driver had nothing to do with the hotel, despite having the hotel's name written all over the shuttle bus. They refused to do anything.

My only reason for staying at this hotel was its proximity to the industrial part of the airport, as I needed to catch a company owned flight within 20 minutes. I had to call a taxi instead and fortunately I only waited a few minutes for him.

I could have been in the serious situation of missing my flight to Fort McMurray and would have had to take a later commercial flight at great inconvenience to myself and personnel on site regarding ongoing construction work.

This is most disappointing situation and could have serious consequences for following travellers in missing important flights to their employment. There are other hotels within a few hundred metres of this hotel which look much nicer and probably dont give their guests the same hassle regarding their ground transport. There are huge numbers of oilfield engineers and other business travellers going in and out of that aero facility and access to and from nearby hotels is a must.

• Stayed April 2005
4 Thank LarrySales
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 September 2003

The outside of this hotel does not do justice to the interior. The rooms are extremely comfortable and very quiet, clean and attractive. I felt it was as nice as the westin hotel and less expensive. When we arrived, we could hear a party next door but when we shut the door, all was quiet. We rented a car from enterprise so we got a great room rate.
They have a friendly staff. There is a free airport shuttle.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 August 2003

Port O'Call Hotel, Calgary is welcoming, clean, spacious and good value. It has excellent facilities and nice staff and is only minutes from Airport, main highways and donwtown. We are a family of four and were given an excellently appointed room. We also enjoyed a first class buffet breakfast each morning and would recommend the hotel coffee shop for snacks and light meals. We will certainly be back!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member