“Best Western Port O'Call Hotel is not the best place for a business stay.”

Best Western Plus Port O'Call Hotel
Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Curacao, Netherlands Antilles
“Best Western Port O'Call Hotel is not the best place for a business stay.”
Reviewed 21 June 2009

The hotel is located nearby shopping center and restaurants.
Hotel staff is very friendly.
However I do think that it needs a well equipped business center and additional services like a shuttle bus for guest and better informed hotel staff to assist the businesspeople properly to be also suitable for business travelers
This hotel may be more suitable for leisure travel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Sheri14mer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Edmonton
Reviewed 2 June 2009

I'm so glad we booked at this hotel. I have to admitt at first I was mad at my husband. I felt he was trying to save money and was expecting us to stay in a dive. I cannot stress enough how much I enjoyed our stay we are already planning our stay next year and the boys are looking forward to the new water park. The guestrooms had enough room for the four of us. One thing I really liked is that the room had a sink in the washroom and one in the room. The mini fridge and microwave came in handy as we stayed in the hotel for three days. There is an onsite restaurant that offers a great breakfast and our server Virgina was this little ball of energy. I will be sure to tell all our friends and family about this hotel. And I highly reccommed if travelling on business due to the location being so close to the airport with speedy shuttle service

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank lisajma
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 6 May 2009

I was recently in Calgary for Business and found myself at the Best Wester Port O' Call hotel. From the moment I walked into the hotel I felt a sense of comfort, The staff was all quite accomidating and knowledgable. The bedroom was like walking into a friends home, very tastfull and a lot of space for a standard room which is nice when you travel as much as I do! They are working on their new water park which looks like it would be a great place to have fun with my family! I would suggest this location to anyone heading out west!

Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 8 January 2009

I stayed at this hotel twice in September and will definately stay again. My boyfriend was arriving from Virginia and asked me to book him a room that was clean and comfortable - nothing fancy he said! Well try to get a decent room in Calgary for under 200.00! - It's difficult to do! I was able to get the CAA rate on this room and my boyfriend arrived despite the hurricane in Houston to an astonishingly nice room. The shuttle driver was extremely nice to me and waited while I ran in to meet him. The next morning we had a wonderful breakfast buffet albeit on the pricey side. From there we proceeded onto our trip of the Rocky Mountains. When my boyfriend left, we came back and dropped off our rental car at the airport. We called for the shuttle and the one downside was that we waited well over 40 minutes for the shuttle to pick us up. My boyfriend left very early in the morning and while I waited for a shuttle to take me back to Lethbridge I watched a pay per view movie and did not notice the double charge. I called the hotel back and after a short dispute with the hotel desk clerk they agreed to remove the double charge. My boyfrriends credit card was appropriately credited. I'll be staying there when I return home from Virginia in February from seeing him again! It's now our preferred hotel!

• Liked — Offers everything, great food, comfortable room and lots of facilities
  • Disliked — No public transit nearby that's easy to access
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TravelingKoldyk
Carstairs, AB
Reviewed 11 November 2008

My Husband and I Booked and stayed at the Port O Call on McKnight Blvd In Calgary Alberta – We checked in November 8th and checked out Nov 9th. We were celebrating our 10th year wedding anniversary. We requested a Jacuzzi suite with a romance package – I was told that at the time I made the reservations that the package included, in addition to the room, a bottle of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, breakfast for 2 and flowers. Our room was clean and nice.

Upon arrival I found the front desk person to be abrupt and rather rude.

On our way down to dinner I stopped at the front desk and asked about the free breakfast we were to receive, I was verbally told that breakfast was good until 10:30 – I did not think to read the vouchers given to us. I should have – the following morning we went down at 10:00 – pulled out the vouchers and discovered the breakfast we could have had gratis was only until 10:00 am – so we paid for the brunch.

Our romantic dinner (in Destiny’s) was ruined by a waitress crying as she walked by, she could also be audibly heard sobbing uncontrollably somewhere in the restaurant for several minutes. Someone showed up in a burgundy uniform and while walking by quite aggressively/rudely asked us if everything was all right. I gave her a thumbs up as I was speechless. Our food was cold, and of substandard quality, my husband had the slow roasted chicken, it was dry and unappetizing. I had a Steak; it was freezer burned around the edges and also unpalatable. Under normal circumstances we should have sent the food back to the kitchen, however with the waitress being as upset as she was, I was not comfortable doing so.

I had to call down at 7:30 pm to the front desk to enquire as to the arrival of our romance package, I was told the person would call me back in 5 minutes, there was a knock on the door instead, and roses and champagne arrived. The timing of the knock at the door was inconvenient, this was a romantic evening for us, the champagne was fine but my roses had brown tips – signifying that they were not very fresh. At around 9:00 the front desk called up and said we had a gift basket coming up that they had forgotten to give us. I thought this would be our chocolates and ? What came upstairs was surely a mistake! A white paper gift bag with 1 bottle of water, a small bag of sun chips, a small chocolate (similar to what other hotels leave on the pillow) and a chocolate cigar. Are you kidding me??????

At no time did I find the staff at the hotel overly helpful, friendly or knowledgeable – all questions were deferred and we were told to call down at 7:00 am (to arrange late check out) - cleaning staff being the exception – I feel extremely ripped off. I spent almost $500.00 for a one night stay in this hotel for what was to be a memorable celebration of my 10 marraige, I have never had such a disappointing experience.

• Disliked — The quality of Service
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheBarefootRobin
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 30 August 2008

I have always liked this motel. For the following reasons; First the location. It is conveniently located close to YYC. Second the amenities. There is a nice indoor pool and hot tub (Coming Soon: Indoor Waterpark). Also there is a medium sized fitness center and there is a restaurant on-site. The staff is always friendly and the hotel is very clean. It is close to a movie theatre and a mall.

Stayed August 2008
alberta
Reviewed 1 March 2008

My husband and I had stayed at the calgary port-o-call many times either before or after our vacations. It is nice and close to the calgary international airport. They also offer a shuttle service(for a small fee) to the airport and free parking at the hotel if you need to leave your car, which is nice for travelers that live outiside of calgary.
The rooms are very clean but are basic and old with dated decor. they are in the middle of a upgrade/renovation however. the front desk staff are professional and friendly. In the few years we have been using the hotel we didn't encounter any problems until our last stay. we had the rudest, grumpiest, meanest shuttle driver we have ever encountered. he was late and had no regard for the scheduled departure times the hotel offers (runs every 30 minutes). after he was late and drove very reckless to the airport he demanded a tip and yelled at us and the other travelers when he did not receive one. he tossed our luggage and bags to the ground. He did this when we left the hotel and when we came back. It leaves a really bad impression of the hotel and of calgary. We will probably stay at another calgary airport hotel next time we travel as there are a few others to choose from.
Overall the hotel is a good value for a decent price.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple