“Nice, But Expensive Airport Hotel”

Best Western Plus Port O'Call Hotel
Ranked #16 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Brooklyn, New York
“Nice, But Expensive Airport Hotel”
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Nice, but somewhat expensive hotel conveniently located literally just beyond the southern end of the Calgary airport runways. Heard an occasional plane, but nothing too loud in my view. No doubt contributing to my view of high cost is the extensive extra facilities provided at the hotel (pool, restaurants, bars, conference rooms, etc.), the near parity of the US and Canadian dollar, and the generally higher costs and taxes of stuff in Canada.

Still, a nice place to stay for one night as we flew in a day early before meeting up the next day at the airport with a camping group we belong to. Room was comfortable and clean with all the usual amenities like TV, refrigerator, etc. Plenty of towels, unusual was the two sinks (one outside the toilet/shower area).

No problems with their van shuttle from and to the airport that runs on the half-hour upon request. Shuttle was free although an E-mail to them a week earlier generated a reply from one of their sales managers that there was a min. $3/room charge for that service.

Staff was polite and accommodating. When we had a problem with a water leak over the toilet the morning we were checking out, they offered to give another room temporarily for a few hours. We turned down the offer as we were about to check out shortly, and at checkout they gave us an unasked for $30 discount plus included taxes.

Not much in way of other consumer commercial establishments around the hotel, mostly industrial park stuff. Area obviously not designed for pedestrians (no sidewalks), had to be very careful crossing the streets that are very busy during weekdays. We had breakfast at a nearby Tom Horton's (much cheaper than at the hotel), and there are at least one Chinese/Vietnamese and one Indian food place we noted nearby that probably cater to the industrial park people. Walking less than a mile south brings one to a strip that has more consumer stores like for liquor/wine, restaurants (we ate at a Thai place), etc.

I'd recommend the hotel for their quality, and airport location (if that's important to someone), but wish it was somewhat less costly.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank FmrEngr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We stayed at this hotel last night. The front desk staff is very pleasant. The room was a nice size, two queen beds, a fridge, microwave and a desk. There is a 2nd sink/vanity area outside the bathroom which is great when travelling with kids as I can get ready while someone else showers. My children loved the waterpark and spent many hours watersliding. When we checked in we initially tried to park underground. It is not well lit and since I was going shopping and coming back late by myself I did not feel comfortable parking down there. When we decided to park in the surface lot I had to get out of the vehicle to guide my husband so we didn't scratch our vehicle. It is a very tight parking garage. There is plenty of surface parking though. It is a little far to walk to any shops or restaurants but there is a restaurant on site and if you have a vehicle there are many restaurants and shopping not that far away. It is near the airport, very near. My kids loved watching the planes take off. We could definately hear the planes however, once we turned on the fan we didn't have any problem sleeping. Overall it was a good stay.

1 Thank Saskmom
denver,co
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Water park just rocked! My kids never had a better time! When we arrived in Calgary, there were 50F and is was raining! I had everything I needed in the hotel and didn't have to go out again: convenience store, restaurant, bar and most importantly the fabulous water park! The room was very comfy and spacious, the beds were excellent. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that there was no free breakfast. Also, being so close to the airport you can hear the noise of the planes landing and taking off.

1 Thank arianatravel
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Our last hotel of our 3 week long trip to Canada is the Port O'Call. We were very glad of our satnav when trying to find the hotel, having arrived at 5pm.
The hotel has a swimming pool with slides and hot tubs. To the amazement of our 2 girls our room had 2 doors, one of which goes out onto our balcony that leads directly to the pool. It is not long before they get their swimming costumes on. There is a centrallly activited lock on the 2nd door and access to the pool through this is disappointingly limited in the morning.
The room is small but compact and along with the rest of the hotel is luxurious. As in Jasper breakfast is not included in the price and is $11.95 per head plus coffee/tea on top. Avoid the coffee/tea and have juice instead.
The hotel was fully prepared for the Calgary Stampede with guidance provided of how to get there. It is deally situated near a park and ride from which we got a train and we easily got a train back gone midnight when the Stampede had finished. The hotel is ideally situated close to the airport as well with easy access.

1 Thank fourcorbies
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2010

We arrived at the Best Western Port O'Call after flying into Calgary airport. The staff were friendly at check in & the pre-auth information matched our booking. When we entered our room I noticed that it had not been serviced from the prior guest -not what you expect from a Best Western. I rang reception & we were moved to a room which had been prepared. The rooms themselves are fine -a good size. My partner then went to get a bottle of wine from downstairs -which he paid for in cash while we decided where to go for dinner. In the end we had room service -which was ok. The problem came when we came to check out...................we had been charged for the wine which my partner had already paid for...................the manager had to be called to verify this.........................(luckily they had served the wine else it may have caused further problems...)...then I noticed that the rate charged did not match our booking rate or the pre-auth rate....they had tried to overcharge us...luckily I had printed out my reservation information so they had to honour that amount....The hotel is fine -just check your bill & make sure they have serviced the room.............

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Macy17
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 20 May 2010

If you want to be connected to the city but not be *in* the city, this hotel fills the bill. At least two transit lines stop at the property. The airport is literally across the street, and you can see downtown through the trees from your room. I arrived in Calgary late at night, so I happy this hotel was so near the airport. On the other hand, I had scored tickets for the Alberta Ballet that were *not* cheap and was happy that I could get to their location in half an hour in my rental car.

My hotel wing felt and smelled like new construction with new decor and carpeting. Most of my neighbors turned out to be single-night guests, but there appeared to be business folks staying in other parts of the hotel, and there appeared to be a trade show taking place in another part of the hotel.

On my next visit, I may just leave my car in the underground parking garage and take the Calgary Transit bus instead.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Forest20851
Delta, Canada
Reviewed 18 April 2010

Staid twice recently on business and was very pleasantly surprised. This is a larger, attractively laid out facility with secure heated underground parking. Quality onsite dining options include a restaurant, coffee bistro, lounge and bar. There are not one, but two indoor pools, plus a water park for the kiddies. The fitness facilities had twice the equipment I typically find at a B/W - all in good repair - plus a steam/sauna room and spacious change room with showers. As mentioned in other reviews, the staff were friendly, attentive and professional. Most business travel hotels I "endure" because of price or location, but I'm actually looking forward to returning to the Best Western Port 'O Call.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business