Delta Hotels Calgary South
US$145
US$83
US$78
  • Restaurant
All reviewsatrium buildingcanadian tirefront desktower sectionmacleod trailclub roomthird floorbreakfast buffetcouple of nightsheritage parkmeeting roomchinook centreindoor poolstay at this hotel againmini fridgecleaning staffbusiness trip
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I was in Calgary for a conference and only stayed one night at this hotel. From start to finish, I found everything perfect. I was in a king bed room which was reasonably priced given 1) it's Calgary and 2) it's a Delta. All the staff were friendly and helpful. I found the room generously sized and the best part is the new "smart" desk with a variety of connectors so that you can run your laptop or other electronic device and have the output on the large, flat-screen TV. Lots of outlets to charge electronics -- a nice bonus and one I wish more hotels would install. The Wi-Fi actually worked and I didn't have to stand in some corner or out the hall to get a signal!

The bed was comfortable with lots of plump, comfy pillows. The bathroom had all the necessities including mouthwash (I'd forgotten to pack mine). I had a choice of a tub/shower or shower alone and I chose the latter. The walk-in shower was large with good water pressure. After all the hotel rooms I've been in, this was probably the best experience -- not having to fight with a billowing curtain, not having to duck under a too-short shower, not wondering if something resembling hot water would come out the shower head. Nope -- this Delta was recently renovated and it's definitely worth the stay. I dreaded check-out as I would have liked another night at the hotel but it was time for me to leave.

I agree with that the buffet was pretty decent. Having an option for the continental buffet was nice and there was plenty of options. I saw others with the hot buffet and maybe next time I'll opt for that.

All in all -- this was an excellent experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank rstwohee
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Hotels Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Thank you for sharing your review, we're glad to hear you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us. We're also pretty excited to hear that your experience was in one of our new Mode Rooms in the Atrium Building and that you found the new bathroom concept and Smart Desk to your liking. We hope to welcome you back again!

Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

Having stayed in several Delta's in Alberta, this one really tops the line in terms of service and friendliness - in fact the team there really is all about making you feel welcome.

Rooms are clean and tidy. Pretty good gym and a decent breakfast buffet. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank TAKETHEL0NGWAY
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Hotels Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Thank you for sharing your review of the Delta Calgary South on Trip Advisor. We are always excited when we hear that a guest found our team to be very welcoming. In addition, we're glad you found good value for your money. We hope to welcome you back soon, thanks again for sharing.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and booked the Heritage Park package for 1 night, which was of great value for us, 2 adults and a 6 yr old. Comes with 2 adult tickets, 2 child tickets and included unlimited rides. Also a $25 gift certificate. See Park administration if you do not need the extra child ticket.
Hotel is in a good location, Walmart, Cdn Tire and restaurants nearby which is handy if you need anything. Kids are treated to a goodie bag upon check-in which adds to their experience, and with the pool and spiralling waterslides you are sure to win here. Happy kids means happy parents, Delta knows this. Rooms were clean and upgraded. Microwave and fridge in the standard room is convenient. Room ventilation was quiet and temperature comfortable. There is some traffic noise during the day, but our room on the 2nd floor was quiet enough that it was barely noticeable. Even on the 2nd night with a noisy wedding party smoking/drinking outside not far from our window, I expected the worse, but our room remained quiet and we were not bothered. We didn't hear neighbours much either, just the odd door in the hall which can be expected. Our door could of been adjusted to close a bit lighter as well.

The pool temperature was decent, not too cold, as well the hot tub was hot enough. This is a busy hotel so do expect both pool areas (Tower and Atrium) to be busy which is a good sign, right ? Even though staff restocked the towels a few times, people were always grabbing stacks of them, so expect this. Not the hotel's fault here. Unfold your towels like you used them, no one will touch them. Life jackets for the kids are offered first come first serve - 20 in stock. Staff was friendly and always offering assistance from the front counter, bell hops to lounge personel. Lounge is quiet and relaxing, even with several video lottery terminals in the next room. Their volumns kept low. Overall we were pretty happy with our choice here.

Security - There were security personel the Friday to patrol hotel and parking lots which was assuring. I did not see them the second night (Sat), but not to say they weren't around.

The negatives - parking lot is busy at the Tower, could use signage directing guests and visitors to side parking lot or Atrium lot.
Check in was a bit time consuming, however check out with a credit card is quick.

Cleaning - someone's empty room service dishes and tray sat outside their door in the hall from 8 pm when I initially seen it, and was still there at 6:30 am when we checked out. Tile floor in the elevators and lobby areas was sticky from left over drink spills from the wedding party until 6:30 am. Someone just started cleaning this up after we checked out.

Smoking - would be nice for partying wedding guests to take their smoking to other areas away from hotel entrances. Families do stay here, and I nor my child should not have to inhale this. Smoke does enter and go up into the 2nd floor elevator area. Many cities have bylaws in place regarding this. Calgary may not, but I feel the hotel industry with guests from all over should be on top of this trend. Where was security this night ?

Bottom line - The negatives were minor, but felt I should be honest. Delta is pretty good but not perfect. Would I stay here again ?
You bet we would. I reccomend it.

Room Tip: In the Tower side, rooms facing the back to Cdn Tire I suspect would be the quietest. However, even in the front it is not too bad. Basic rooms are on the first 2 levels. If no parking at the Tower entrance, there is side parking on the other side of the restaurant or parking at the Atrium. Someone had mentioned that even if you check in at the Atrium, the actual check in is done at the Tower main entrance.
1  Thank R G
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Hotels Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. It will certainly be helpful for guests considering the Delta Calgary South. We will ensure our entire management team has a chance to see it as you make some great points. In addition, from your feedback, we are going to look at some signage for the parking and the smoking areas around the hotel. On behalf of the team at the Delta Calgary South, we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed just one night, check in easy ( we booked with their last minute email offer, $110 for the night). We had a basic room, with two queen beds- very clean. Every staff member we bumped into was very friendly, going out of their way to acknowledge us. We took our 5 & 7 year old to the pool, they loved the waterslide! Beds a little soft for my liking, but ok. All in this was a great weekend away spot - close to Southcentre shopping mall and lots of restaurants.

2  Thank newmama
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Hotels Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Thanks for posting your review newmama, we're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and specifically some of the amenities within and around the hotel. We'll also ensure our team hears your comments regarding how friendly they were, they'll appreciate it!

Reviewed 18 August 2012

Spent 2 night here with my daughters and grandchild. Nothing special, nice and clean - only catch was the only adjoining rooms are on the ground level in the tower building - not as nice as the atrium building. Was a little concerned about security, being at ground level with 5 ladies and a baby, but didn't seem to be an issue. Couldn't get the A/C to shut off, though - so the first niight was kind of chilly.

Room Tip: Ask for an Atrium room
1  Thank dramaguys

Thanks for sharing your experience, indeed our Atrium Rooms are a more upscale experience compared to our tower building rooms as they were re-done earlier this year. Thank you again for posting your review on Trip Advisor and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.