“Average hotel with decent updated rooms”

Delta Calgary South Hotel
Ranked #45 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“Average hotel with decent updated rooms”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I work in Calgary and my company was having a two day forum out at Spruce Meadows. I live in Airdrie so I decided to stay in the hotel one night with some of the other out of towners instead of sitting in traffic for hours each way driving home and back again the next morning. The hotel is in a really busy spot on Macleod trail and the parking lot in the main building is VERY small. I was checking in late so I had to go to the main lobby desk in building one but the main parking lot was full so I had to park waaaay on the other side, walk all the way back to check in at the main desk, and then walk all the way back to the other building where my room was located (The hotel has two buildings with a walkway over the main street that divides the two buildings). The hotel itself is quite dated and the hallways are confusing and grungy but the rooms are very modern and renovated. The bathrooms are nice and the beds are comfortable.
My room faced onto the artium in the second building and because of this is was a bit loud and everything echoed. There was a restaurant down there and all I heard well trying to fall asleep was clanking and tables moving as they shut down for the night. I would definitely recommend not staying in an atrium facing room. As for food, I ordered room service and had a cobb salad. It was just okay. The lettuce was a bit wilted but the other veggies were fine.
All in all, not a bad stay by any means but it was pretty average. If I was pressed to stay there again I wouldnt put up a fight but the parking situation is a bit of a pain

Room Tip: Avoid atrium facing rooms due to noise/echo
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor, we're glad to hear you enjoyed our new Mode Rooms in our atrium Buidling. We are in the process of reviewing our current signage to make parking and navigation easier within the building. In addition, we are currently sourcing a new threshold for our Atrium facing room balcony doors that will reduce the noise. Thank you again for the review, we have shared it with our entire team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Nelson, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This hotel is great access to both the south of Calgary and Downtown. They provided me with some of the best service that I have received yet at a hotel and I travel frequently. The buffet breakfast is a MUST! They will definitely be my hotel of choice in Calgary into the future!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thanks so much for sharing your experience, we're happy to hear you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and that our team made a difference during your stay. We hope to welcome you back soon!
pitt meadows
Reviewed 4 November 2013

we stayed here before an early flight to the airport, ,most things were accessible from this location but did not have a warm and cozy atmosphere about it. Very business-traveler oriented. Your basic hotel experience

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Thank you for sharing your review, we appreciate the feedback.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I title my review "good" business hotel because my overall rating would be good but there is nothing between the "average" and "very good" ratings. I stayed at the Delta for a second time in a year on business. Check-in was fairly quick but I was disappointed when I saw my ground floor room at the very end of the hallway with a view of the parking lot. It was probably one of the worst rooms in the entire hotel. So I made my way back to reception to see if a better room was available as I had stayed in a much nicer one during my previous stay. The front desk lady was very friendly and ended up giving me a king bed room on the 8th floor. I was very pleased that they made this change for me as it shows that they value repeat guests. My room was very clean, the bed was comfortable and there was a good selection of toiletries. The only thing that bothered me a bit was not being able to turn off the fan or increase the room temperature. I tried to change the setting but couldn't tell any difference in temperature and the fan noise made it difficult to sleep (I'm a light sleeper). This was something that I had already found slightly annoying during my last stay and it would be good if that could be fixed. Other than that, no complaints! The location is fairly central with lots of good restaurant options and I will probably be back on my next business trip to Calgary.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your review, it's great to hear our team was helpful in providing another option during your stay. Our heating system in our Atrium Buidling has adjustable fan speed in each room. Contact me prior to your next stay, I would be happy to set you up to try it out. (Email me at gerickson@deltacalgarysouth.com.) - Grant
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My family also booked Thanksgiving dinner in the Atrium Café and were very disappointed. When the bread was not presented before the salad, we asked and it finally arrived when we had pushed the salad away. My "salad" was an attempt at nouvelle cuisine that failed. Two paper thin slices from an old carrot (poor flavour), two slices off a parsnip, one slice from a red carrot and some raisins - which were not candied as advertised. The turkey leg had a dried out, crusty exterior and flavourless meat. The stuffing was not stuffing but rice, onion and about 6 dried cranberries. There was no roulade (turkey breast with stuffing) served or on the menu. There was no cranberry sauce on the side (a staple from my point of view). The vegetable was undercooked beet greens. The other choice was a ham hock dinner and it was just okay - ham was fine, scalloped potatoes were underdone. The pumpkin Brûlée tasted like instant vanilla pudding with a touch of pumpkin flavouring and it was totally lacking in the signature Brûlée top or caramelized crust. The server brought us some homemade chocolates and we hoped for something to redeem the meal. Again, disappointment. There is good chocolate and there is "cheap" chocolate and these were the latter. We will certainly not be returning any time soon.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank AB_Travel
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor, we are sorry to hear that our Thanksgiving Dinner did not meet your expectations. We've shared your feedback with our Executive Chef and Culinary team to take into consideration as they plan out menus for future special events like Thanksgiving. Thank you again for sharing your review, we appreciate the feedback
Lacombe, Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We chose this hotel based on it's location and price. We were celebrating our anniversary and wanted to stay a little up-scale but not break our pocket book.

Check in was very quick and the lady at the front desk was very pleasant. When we walked into our room, a king size Delta room on the 8th floor of the tower, I was very happy with the size, the look and the freshness.

We found the bed very comfortable and enjoyed having so much room to move around and not feel like we were tripping over each other or the furniture.

One thing that's important to us is the cleanliness of the bathroom and this one was spotless! The bathroom was large and had a great shower.

A couple minor things though - the picture on the website of this room was not what our room looked like. I've read other comments about some rooms being outdated and while we didn't feel that way, it certainly is not as nice looking as what the website shows. The website site also says this room comes with a tub but ours only had a shower and a soak in a tub would have been nice. Also, we could find no way to shut the fan off in the heating/cooling system and I found that rather noisy at night.

BUT, I would stay here again and maybe even pay a few extra dollars to move over to the Atrium building and try a modedeluxe room.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room in the Atrium building.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for sharing your review on Trip advisor Cindy E. We appreciated the chance to have you with for your special celebration. We are going to review our website descriptions to ensure they are accurate, please accept our apologies for that. Thank you again for sharing, we hope to welcome you back soon!
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I live in Calgary, yet I visit this restaurant regularly for dinner, Sunday brunches, and (as was the case tonight) a four course Thanksgiving Dinner, managed by a very talented Holly. She made my family and I feel welcome and has a delightful personality. The chef, Dana Rogers, planned the menu very carefully. I enjoy the Apple Jack, a before dinner drink made with three kinds of apples! On top of the glass was a wee apple chip. What a fresh start to a Fall meal. The carrot and grilled zucchini ribbon salad was light and crisp and the roasted turkey roulade was moist and plentiful. It was lovely to have a light dessert, rather than a heavy one - a pumpkin pie brulee. The highlight, however, was Holly (the manager). She made my elderly parents and I feel like we were the only family there. She is to be commended. We are looking forward to returning to the Atrium Café in two weeks for Sunday brunch. Thanks, again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thanks so much for sharing your review, we're proud of Holly and Chef Dana's efforts and the impact they had on your family's Thanksgiving Celebration. Thank you again for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back for Sunday Brunch.