“Pretty ugly event”

Ranked #43 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Toronto, Canada
“Pretty ugly event”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

A fair size group of us (80) had rooms this weekend for a family event. Most of us had at least one comment.
Male staff members asking women for their room numbers in pubic, maybe innocent, but certainly poor security training.
An undercooked omelet is returned burned black on round 2.
A complaint against a bar tender leads to refusal of service the next day.
The same bartender sneezes into his hands a goes on with serving the platters. When asked to wash his hands.
And I quote "You don't need to tell me what to do, I've been here 20 years, I know my job"
An arranged set up for a group area for breakfast at 9. At 8:45 those of us that are already there ask if we can set up. I quote "well its too late now"
Its fairly obvious that the place is run by 30 year old MBA's. Its not the cheapest toilet paper in the world just the second cheapest and they a fairly frugal about putting in the rooms. My wife and I were out of toilet paper and Kleenex 8 hours into our stay.
BTW make sure you have plenty of room on your credit card, they take a $300 security deposit for each room booked under your name. If you have several it can take a bite.
Whatever you do, do not complain about anything, they will get even.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jay F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Duncan, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We just spent the weekend in Calgary, and stayed at the Delta hotel. We were traveling with my baby, who they accommodated very well. The room was recently renovated and was very clean, comfy, and modern. We stayed on the atrium side which was really nice, made use of the hot tub and had breakfast brunch both mornings. They even brought my son a little goodie bag while we were eating our breakfast. The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. We also attended a wedding at the hotel, it was fantastic!! Great food, nice venue, friendly staff.

Room Tip: The atrium side was recently renovated but they will be renovating the other side.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
DeltaYYCSouth, Manager at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for your comments, we are glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I would first like to say I have never stayed at this hotel, this review is solely based on the restaurant

We recently had brunch at your Delta Calgary South location on Sunday April 27th. I myself am a Calgarian born and raised and have been to this location for brunch several times and have always left full and impressed. This past weekend has deterred me from ever having brunch or any food at this location. When we first arrived they were several parties waiting to be seated, some with reservations (we did not have one) and no one was being acknowledged. The restaurant itself was pretty empty so I am unsure as to why there was such a wait. When we were finally seated, the coffee cups at our table were filthy as well at the cups for our juice. We helped ourselves to the buffet, and were not offered a drink for I would say at least 10-15 minutes. The buffet itself was not up to par. The food was lukewarm at best, there were no bowls for cereal and when we asked for some it took about 10 minutes to bring some to the buffet. Our party was 3 adults and 2 children, and the selection for children was digesting, I am glad they were not charged for their meals as they hardly ate any of it. The icing on the cake so to speak was when I went up to the hot buffet and reached for a ‘clean’ plate only to find broken glass all over it! We live in the other side of the city near COP, so driving all that way for such a disappointing meal was a waste of our time. I have very fond memories of what this restaurant used to be and I can not believe how down hill it has gone. Needless to say I won’t be going back, neither will I be recommending this place to anyone

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank kludlow83
I thank you for taking your time to respond to our survey regarding your most recent dining experience at the Delta Calgary South hotel. I sincerely apologize for the challenges you endured for our Sunday Brunch offering. This is certainly not how we wish to have any of our customers feel for any of the dining experiences while at the hotel.

I sincerely apologize for the awful experience this past Sunday and I thank you for your honest comments.
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I spent 4 nights here in April when I was in Calgary on business. Check in was quick, we actually were able to get into the room 3 hours early which was great for us. The staff are all extremely friendly and always in great moods. The room was a decent size, two queen beds, desk, dresser, TV, small fridge, microwave and coffee pot. My rate included the buffet breakfast and that was your typical buffet breakfast. They did make omelettes. There is a gym, pool and hot tub. There is parking but it does fill up quickly and you may have to park across the road at the second building lot. The pillows were good, not too large and the bed was OK. There are other restaurants near by, a Tim Hortons just up the street, close to the Deerfoot and it was not noisy for sleeping. It is a decent place to stay, reasonable rates.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank midnitewind
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Manager at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The hotel sits on two separate blocks with a high level walkway between them. The Atrium has recently been refurbished, but unfortunately the Tower hasn't and the rooms are looking very shabby. If you have a dog you have to stay in the Tower.

There is no air conditioning available, just central heating that you don't have very much control over. Unfortunately it was hot while we were there, and the fact that we couldn't control the temperature or even open a window, meant that my dog was having a bad time of it - we had to take him outside for a walk in the early hours to cool him down. In the end we had to leave early as we didn't want to see him suffering.

So the facilities are worth three stars, but the staff did everything that they could to help us, and they were incredibly friendly to boot, hence the rating I've given.

Room Tip: Avoid any room on the ground floor near an exit.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I apologize for the issues with the heating, I am glad to hear our friendly staff were able to assist you.
Olds, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We decided to stay overnight as we had a long day and night ahead of us. It was great to book a room with Aeroplan points that was close to where we needed to be that day.
We were greeted by Brandon upon check in. He was very friendly and greeted me by my name and offered to help out in any way he could. Really nice kid!! He should get a raise!!
We've stayed here before, so we knew what to expect. Comfortable room, nice bed, great shower. Really all we needed!

We had such a late night that we slept past the 11 am check out. Oops! We got a knock on the door at 11:30 and rushed to shower and get the heck out! We left a tip for the housekeeping staff for her troubles

Great overnight stay. Will stay again

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Manager at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for the great comments. We are big fans of Brandon too!
Kelowna
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We arrived, inquired about upgrades, were advised for a small fee, we could upgrade to a suite.
We were making a very long trip the following day, and really wanted to ensure our family (of 4) had a very good nights rest, so agreed.
Afterwards we realized our upgrade included breakfast for all 4 of us.
WE highly recommend spending the extra few dollars. Having an amazing healthy breakfast, really served us well on our long journey, with few opportunities for healthy food options.
And did I mention we ALL had an amazing nights sleep, quite too.
So very convenient for catching connecting flights

Room Tip: Inquire about upgrades when you check in
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully the rest of your journey was wonderful.