All reviewsmacleod trailclose to downtownstampede parkbathroom doorhot tubchinook centerfront desk staffc trainjacuzzi suitebreakfast was excellentbreakfast roomeasy accessenjoyable stayrecommend this hotelhot breakfastdecent hotelcomfortable bed
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Locals attending a wedding nearby so we wanted a hotel close to venue.
The check in said they don't let locals book in to the hotel! Because we prebooked on a hotel site we were allowed to stay. There is no mention of this caveat anywhere so maybe something to look into.
A very good breakfast provided. Comfortable room.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank karlowsj
alnoor61049, General Manager at Best Western Plus Calgary Centre Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and want to assure you that we have no such policy. Unfortunately, there must have been a misunderstanding and for this we apologize sincerely.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We have stayed at the Best Western Plus Calgary Center Inn for business and leisure in the past and never had a problem. This time we booked two nights in the one bedroom jacuzzi suite and were looking forward to a nice long soak in the private tub, but upon arrival we were informed that the tub's pump was broken. We were offered a smaller jacuzzi room or I believe the business executive room at a much reduced price and I was taken to view the rooms but we were very disappointed. We had also chosen that room to give our family some space, which was not available with the other offered rooms because they did not have a separate bedroom area. It was a very hot day and we had just spent a few hours driving to Calgary, so we were not about to drag the kids around looking for a different hotel with similar options. I was disappointed that as a long time BW customer and Platinum card member, we received no phone call or email about the problem prior to arrival. The room had been booked a few months previously. I realize that things break and it was a long weekend so finding someone to repair or get the part was not in the cards, but if we had been informed prior, we could have explored other options, even a different BW since there are several in Calgary.

We decided to take the original room at the reduced cost (which was greatly appreciated) and we still enjoyed it. The only other problem though was with a cleaning staff member. We left our room the next day around 11am and put the Maid Service sign on the door. We came back 3-3.5 hours later to find that cleaning staff had just started with our room. We didn't have anywhere else to go, and had two extra family members visiting us (making a total of 6 people), the lobby area already had people sitting in it, there is no on-site restaurant, it was blasting hot outside so we weren't going to take the children out there to wait... so we all sat in the living room area. The cleaning staff member did not seem happy. She did not speak to us at all. I said things like ''Sorry" and "Thank you" but she did not reply. We all felt uncomfortable, even our two young children. Our bed had been made already and my 5 yr old decided to jump on it while the staffer was cleaning our bathroom. I brought him out and then she started to make the bed again (???). I said VERY nicely "Oh don't worry about that, he's just going to mess it up again in 5 minutes" and she tossed a corner of the bedding down and marched off to the bathroom again. We were all sitting there dead silent, feeling like we had done something wrong - but what can we do? There are no chairs outside that room near the elevator like on other floors and really nowhere else to go. What did she expect us to do? We leave our rooms VERY tidy for cleaning staff and try hard to keep things organized so they have an easier time, but this woman was grumpy and I was not impressed. To the manager reading this, check whoever serviced our room on July 1st 2013 and that is who you will need to speak to. When she left, she literally grabbed the door stop out from under the door and yanked it out and let the door slam behind her. We all looked at each other like "What the heck?" and my SON said "She didn't seem very happy with us being here". But again, where else can we go? We left the room for over 3 hours, normal check-in time is 2pm and we were there after that, and the front desk people saw us leave as well as we put the sign on our door handle. A guest should not be made to feel like a hindrance like that.

BUT other than that, we had a great time. The pool was fun and great on such a hot day, breakfast was great every morning, all other staff I saw were friendly and greeted us or at the very least smiled, front desk staff was always nice, the room was clean, the beds are always fantastic, and so on. We can walk to Tim Hortons or McDonald's easily for some quick food, it's very handy to downtown, and we always like this hotel. This is the first time I have had an issue there that I can think of. Otherwise, everything else was good as it normally is when we stay there.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kezt777

Thank you for being such a loyal customer! I want to personally apologize for the way in which our cleaning staff treated you and your family. We pride ourselves on a friendly team whose priority is on guest satisfaction! The date you provided allowed us to investigate and rest assured your concern has been addressed. We’re glad you and your family had another nice stay with us and we look forward to having you again!

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I stayed there for two nights in July, 2013. I have to say the staff were fantastic, the accommodations were not. The hotel is run down and needs a full renovation. The carpets in the halls were very dirty, and he rooms had issues. The first room they gave me the A/C was not working, after four hours the temperature dropped from 81 to 77 and did not appear to get any cooler. They did move me, without any hassle, which was great. The room they moved me to was an upgrade (appreciated) but the desk chair was broken on the back and was very uncomfortable. I did not bring this to their attention, as I had already taken up much of their time that day. i think a full reno is in order in this hotel to bring it up to standards.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank rpm42

Thank you for your feedback. I’m glad our staff took good care of you during your stay because customer service is our top priority. We are planning renovations that we are very excited about! Sincerely,

Reviewed 1 July 2013

The 1st impression was a small entrance hall. Then was the check-in experience. we were sent to a 3rd floor room which bath was under remodeling. Had to bring our luggage to 1st floor, but didn't like the room that was given to us next to the entrance. After 20 minutes we finally checked into a room in the 3rd floor again.

We paid over $156 plus tax for the stay, more than any 2.5-star hotels in the US.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Xiaodan Q

Rooms undergoing renovations are usually blocked off and we apologize for this oversight. We want to ensure you that we are diligent in polling the market to ensure our rates are competitive with other similar hotels in the Calgary area.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

I've always enjoyed staying at Best Western Plus's in the past, however, this hotel left a lot to be desired :( My hubby, son and I stayed at this hotel during the Calgary Fan Expo at the end of April, and from the get go, we were less than impressed with this hotel or it's staff. The check in to this hotel was not great-staff wasn't very friendly nor helpful. The phone in our room didn't work at all and wasn't replaced til the next day. We stayed there for four nights and had the hot brekkie each morning, however, it was the same boring food every morning. Now, I realize that this is a complimentary hot breakfast, however, I've had the pleasure of staying at other Best Western Plus's in the past, and this place was not NEARLY as good as the others I have stayed at. The checkout was a nightmare and the clerk that was giving us our bill got the amount wrong and in the end, whom I assume was the front desk manager, had to step in, smooth things over, correct our bill, and check us out. I would seriously think twice about staying here again in the future. The only good thing about this place was the close proximity to the Saddledome.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does NOT face the busy Macleod Trail South. We were lucky, we were on the back side of the hotel facing the C train.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PussycatBC_Canada

We appreciate your feedback and I’m sorry to hear about your experience. We consistently receive comments that our staff is very friendly and focused on guest satisfaction. Based on the feedback received we have added items to our breakfast. We do work hard to make sure check-in and check-out is quick and easy, however, I will bring your concerns to the attention of our staff during our next training session to ensure we continue to improve our processes. We hope you’ll stay with us again to see how you helped make us even better!