“At current prices a gem(with a few cracks)”
Review of Hotel Blackfoot

Hotel Blackfoot
Ranked #20 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Check in was smooth, staff nice. The room lock was dead, moved to another room. Room nice but not remodeled. Bed was way comfortable, slept great except for noisey guests in hall at 2AM and constuction noise. Toilet plugged once but fixed within 10 min. Maids did a good job on rooms. Be aware of add on Eco nightly fee can be removed, but you have to ask for it to be taken off. Location wasn't bad but some driving to sights. Mall and food options within 5 min drive. Could walk it but make sure you know where you are going. We had Bfast included and we had both buffett and ordered from menu. Food was good and service was except Sunday it took way too long to get food (Bfast orders compete with Sunday Brunch set up). Also it was bad taste for wait staff to fix a worker injury in busing area as it was in full view of guests on Sunday! This hotel has a good basic workout room with upright bike, treadmill,eliptical and all in one circuit (all Life Fitness) Treadmill does need a new belt but it all works. Also TV,water and towels supplied. They have hot tub but didn't use and pool was closed for winter. The parking was a bit of a problem on weekends. They have a club also but no dedicated parking for guests so that wasn't too great. In summary this is a very good hotel but beware they are doing a major upgrade and I expect prices to increase which may tip the scales the other way after the renovation is complete. In which case there may be better options for the money with better locations. But until then I would come here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: I wouldn't spring for upgraded rooms and higher floors are better, 6th or 7th. Rooms facing pool...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J C
Simon T, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Blackfoot, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful review, JC. You are correct that we’re doing some major upgrades around here; however, our prices will remain very competitive as always. Glad you had a great sleep!
And keep an eye out for a brand new exercise facility!

Reviewed 20 December 2012

Nice looking from the outside, the lobby looking like nice, the rooms terrible. Now they are renovating roms, and offered a renovated room at $20+ more a night, maybe I should have taken it, because the normal 2 queen room is below average. From a toilet that plugs just from a kleenex and a sink that takes a few minutes to drain (tells me there is some plumbing issues) to go with the tiny bathroom that you have to fight with the door to get in and out with (no room to close it with you in the room). The room temp is poorly regulated, either cold or hot does not stay even, and i had to rest the the TV box constantly as the tv would lose signal, a reset was the only thing that work. The beds were comfortable, I will give them that.

So 2 stays in Calgary in the last couple of weeks, and both I would not go back to.

1  Thank DaveH36
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I've stayed here 3 times and will always look to book here first. The restaurant food is very above average -hot, extremely tasty with just the right level of spices for flavour. Room was clean, presentable and warm. A pleasant hard working staff highlights the Western hospitality showed to me last week. The on site pub needs a makeover, and then this should upgrade the hotel rating by at least a star. All in all, good value now and hopefully this maintains as they further the renovations.

Room Tip: Great views from the seventh floor!
1  Thank happygo9

Great to hear you enjoy the hotel and the people that work here! I agree with you wholeheartedly that pubs are the most important aspect of any establishment - if I’m not sleeping or working, I’m probably in the sports lounge. The good news is that we are indeed working to modify and improve the pub and it shouldn't be too long before you’ll be able to see noticeable changes.

Reviewed 20 December 2012

I selected a renovated room and the hotel is a version of the good, the bad and the ugly right now. The good, the rooms are very nice, the beds comfortable, quiet and the courtyard facing ones like I had are very dark, even the smoke detector lights are dimmed, a nice touch. The showers are divine, lots of water and a wand for the hard to reach spots.

The bad - no tubs, showers only. The TV is a postage stamp, why renovate and put in a small tv? On top of that, during my visit, most of the tv channels simply didn't work. They also do not have in room a/c, so opening the window in winter did the trick. I am not sure what the room would be like on a hot summer day. The front entry is clearly showing its age and hasn't been updated yet. The new armoire, is lovely, but smells so strongly of pine that unless you want your garments to smell like that, I would store them elsewhere. Lastly - the ironing board are not fullsize and are simply a joke for the business traveller. Trying to use them on the bed or desk is a lesson in total frustration. Again, why cut corners after a reno?

The ugly - the food from room service is simply inedible. I got the rib-eye and it was NOT a rib eye. It was a lousy cut of cheap meat, prepared poorly. I complained and nothing was done about it, do yourself a favour - eat elsewhere. The staff doesn't seem to care about complaints, they simply do the bare minimum of their job. At any reputable hotel, that food should have been removed from my bill, it was that bad.

Room Tip: The renovated rooms are a bit more expensive, but worth it. If you want a bathtub, stick to the old...
1  Thank Steve C

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you noticed the dimmed smoke detector. We do our best to make sure our guests have the best sleep possible.
As for the bad, we're thankful for reviews like yours as they give us great insight as to what's working well and what we need to improve to nail down the perfect stay. We're very aware of the issues with the TV's and are replacing them all, as well as changing our service provider. Rest assured.

A little pro-tip regarding the ironing board - give the front desk a buzz next time and we'll be able to bring you up the mother of all ironing boards; extra-large and silky smooth. We're talking muscle.

We sincerely apologize about the rib-eye you ordered and you are correct that it should have been stricken from your bill. This is unacceptable and I have passed your complaint on to both the reservation manager and executive chef.

Thanks again for the review!

Reviewed 17 December 2012

The upgraded room that we stayed in was very nice, clean and the beds and pillows were awesome. Just remember don't smoke where you are not supposed to as they will fine you. So needless to say, we won't be breaking the rules next time.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Go for the upgraded rooms
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 502Margot_N
Simon T, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Blackfoot, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Thank you for the review, Margot! I understand the temptation to break that rule. Especially when it's -20 with a foot of snow on the ground! Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 25 November 2012

This hotel claims it is a great place for company Christmas parties. I beg to differ. You would think their staff and facilities would more reflective of this. The only decent service was the front desk staff. Not because they did anything spectacular, they just did their job. Once we were checked in we went downstairs for a beverage before diner and the "comedy" show. There is a large seating area with a bar directly off the lobby. We sat down. We waited. And waited. And waited. The girl was putting the bar together, but instead of telling us she wasn't open, she let us sit there. No signage or table talkers to tell patrons that it didn't open until 5:00. Another couple in our party had the same experience. The waitress couldn't be bothered to tell them that there was a pub just a few more steps away that was open. They had to ask. My husband and I then went to the pub. The bartender couldn't be bothered to make eye contact (he actually avoided it) until I went to the bar to ask if there was table service or if it was self serve. Apparently someone hadn't shown up for their shift, I am sorry about that but as a former bartender and waitress, suck it up and make the best of more tips for you. Well if I thought the service was bad before, I was mistaken. The waitress then showed up. She was the rudest waitress I have encountered in a long time. The other couples at our table were just as shocked at how she treated customers. We definitely felt like we were irritating her. She went out of her way to be rude.

We then went to dinner. The food was actually quite good for a smorge. The staff again was substandard. Our table ordered a couple bottles of wine. Well I think you would have better wine service at Denny's. There was no tasting it first, nope he just poured it out immediately. When picking up our plates, staff would reach over people, across the table, ask customers to pass them their own plates etc. we were then scurried off to the "comedy" show. Not so funny :-( the service there was just as bad if not worse. Then at the end of the show, instead of asking customers to leave so that the staff could prepare for the next show, they cranked the music to unbearable levels to get people to leave. It made me want to stay just to p{# them off after everything else. The rooms were circa 1998 and the beds were uncomfortable. Avoid this place if you can.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank travelladyAlberta
Simon T, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Blackfoot, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

Thank you very much for the review. We have taken all of your complaints very seriously and have dealt with them accordingly.

Reviewed 22 November 2012

This hotel tries hard, and most of the time accomplishes what they want. I stay with them approximately 20-30 nights per year (business), and they usually treat me pretty good. The pictures on their website and TripAdvisor page show only their newly renovated areas, there's a good chance you'll get a more dated room (although still nice). I once had to cancel my room with 6 hours notice instead of the 24 they require and it was a real fight. Disappointing considering my history with the hotel, I would have expected better service in that respect. Seems like they were willing to risk 20-30 night stays per year for the foreseeable future with a one night cancellation policy, didn't seem to make sense.

Also, they're very eco conscious. You can feel good about staying at this hotel, environmentally. Breakfast buffet is fantastic, yet relatively simple and good value. Lobby lounge is very nice, although usually quite quiet. There's also a comedy club attached.

Room Tip: They are in the process of renovating. Some rooms are new, and some rooms are old, although in my o...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Kellen W
Simon T, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Blackfoot, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2012

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, kplus. We appreciate that you can see we work very hard to accommodate and give special attention to every single one of our guests.

You are correct indeed that we are posting photos of our newly renovated rooms as much as possible - they are always available for a small extra fee and we always offer our guests the opportunity to upgrade. Not only that, in mere months every room in the hotel will be renovated! You're right as well that we don't have our old room photos on our website, simply because it doesn't allow us to post more than one pic. Tripadvisor, however, has photos of all of our rooms.

Regarding your cancellation, we normally hold firm to our policies, but it sounds like we made an exception in your case, which is great! I hope it wasn't too much of an inconvenience.

Thanks again for the review!