“Location is Not Everything, Excellence is!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Blackfoot

Hotel Blackfoot
Ranked #24 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Location is Not Everything, Excellence is!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We expected little and got a lot. The place, after all, was a remodelled older hotel 3 km. from the city's heart. We were dead wrong. Contemporary furnishings in the rooms and panache is everywhere. Blackfoot now features rooms with suspended sinks, super Euro-fixtures, marble counters, and rainfall showers with sliding doors, duvet-covered silky beds as regal as any in Canada, a patio, 2 bars, a patio for after-work good times, meeting and dance facilities, live music, an unexpectedly urbane comedy club, and Green's restaurant offering local bison, elk, veal, and veggies and a killer-calory buffet at reasonable prices (discount for seniors!), and staff that sparkles with friendliness.
Built by a First Nations tribe (guess which) and often spoken of as catering to people from that community, in its current iteration the Blackfoot has workers, chefs, and clients from everywhere, all groups. It is what makes Canada's West look welcoming to guests from Asia and Europe. Even Albertans are discovering its upscale amenities.
We knew kids and small dogs were around but almost never heard a peep or woof. Industries surround this inn, as do 2 highways leading everywhere inside Calgary, but we slept undisturbed by canines, kids, and corporate clatter. The hotel worked like a charm, a well-insulated one. Within 2 minutes you can drive into the huge Chinook shopping center with $2 pens and $800 Coach handbags. And be aware that very few hotels serve the burgeoning South Calgary area. Be prepared for a surprisingly fine property, with incredible amenities, e.g. free parking (very rare in Calgary's center for less than $25 a night surcharge), excellent high speed wi fi (free here, $14 a day in city center), and reserve a room in advance. This place is gaining a reputation for excellence, and the parking lot is full much of the week. And yummy, well-priced, fresh food, too. Some rooms have bathtubs and some are still being upgraded, so ask for what you want and smile while desk people get it all, quickly, quietly, and politely: Blackfoot is the biggest discovery since Alberta learned about oil-sands, another gift from its First Nations people.

Room Tip: 2nd floor and higher and overlooking the patio are quietest, and the rainfall shower-equipped rooms...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Naheed W, Manager at Hotel Blackfoot, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you Bob for your review and comments. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Blackfoot and are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back. Although the hotel was not actually built by a first nations tribe, we are privileged to on occasion be their host hotel for their dignitaries and tribal council members.

We actually completed our extensive guest room renovations last July. The rooms have been fully redesigned with new carpets, wallpaper, drapes, furniture, televisions and new lighting. All of our rooms now feature glass enclosed rain showers and no longer have bathtubs. During the renovation process, we have also created five Executive Suites, two of which have Jacuzzi tubs. Our fitness centre has also been expanded and features some of the most advanced equipment available today.

At the Hotel Blackfoot we recognize that all families differ, some include our four legged friends and are just as welcome. For those who suffer from allergies, we have rooms designated as pet free. For every guest, our team prides itself on going above and beyond to ensure your experience and expectations are not only met but rather are completely exceeded. Once again, thank you for your comments and hope that you will be able to be back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Korean first
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I haven't even been to Hotel Blackfoot but am giving it 5 stars because of the customer service during the booking process.

We booked two packages back to back and although not cheap the reservation staff took the time to call Global Fest to find out about kids rates for us to make sure we got the best value. They got back to us quickly and politely after they had all the information and when the first agent went off duty before we made our final decision he passed everything on to his colleague so that when we did call back she had everything on hand and completed the process seamlessly.

I've never been so impressed with a hotel before even arriving.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My mother and I have been to many hotels in the Calgary and it's surrounding area, but Blackfoot has really set itself apart because of their customer service focus. My family will definitely return to the hotel for our stay in Calgary!

When we arrived to our hotel suite, we were very impressed with the size and amenities. The shower is absolutely wonderful (I wish I had a rain shower head in my house)! The bedroom was spacious, so you had drawers and closets to keep your things in. Everything inside the suite was well kept and cleaned (the latter being especially important in my family). As a bonus, I learned later that night about the room's "pillow service." It is a program that allows patrons to select pillow comfort; how cool is that!! After all, there is a pillow for every sleeper. I did not use the service because I found the bed and pillows to be very comfortable.

Waking up the next morning, our 6th floor had a "grab-and-go breakfast," which was complete with cereal, yogurt, juice, coffee, bagels, and other small food items. Did I mention that they have complimentary gourmet coffee, hot chocolate, chai tea, and latte around-the-clock? There is a station on the main, sixth, and seventh floor--this is so convenient for guests!

Later that day, we had a wonderful brunch buffet on the hotel's main floor. There was a wide array of food menu items complete with French toast, prime rib, ham, and dessert. There is a lot for guests to choose, but my favourites were waffles and croissants. I found my brunch to be super delicious!

Upon check out time, my mother and I were getting ready to leave the suite when Housekeeping Supervisor Lorraine approached us and asked how our stay was. We found her very friendly and knowledgeable about the hotel. We talked to her for a bit and found her to be very helpful with directions about the city and also found her personality to be positive and upbeat!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Dominick at the front desk is a god send! I have traveled a good portion of my adult life staying in hotels that range from mid level to very high end all of which I have never written a review for, however, Dominick deserves this and more. Always friendly and upbeat, courteous and helpful Dominick is a reliable and trustworthy source for anything you need. He is honest and sincere with his efforts in making your stay as comfortable as possible.

Room Tip: Above floor 3 are the nicest designed rooms from my experience
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
Banff National Park, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed 1 night at the Blackfoot Hotel for the Stampede. The agents at the desk were super friendly and gave us a lot of tips on how to get there and what to do. The hotel is litually 5 mins drive from the Chinook Train Station that brings you into town in 3 stops! You can also park at the station for free, so handy! The Hotel itself is amazing, the pool is huge and it feels like you are on Holiday in Mexico or something! They also have a sports bar, and a great restaurant, with a nice Patio overlooking the pool. The breakfast buffet is huge and full of yummy pastries and desserts (don't go there if you are on diet). We loved everything about this hotel and we will definitely go back!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FrenchyInAlberta
Calgary,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We live in Calgary and went here to have a few drinks in the lounge as they have live music from 5-7:30 pm weeknights. I called them the night before to confirm this.
When we arrived we had a seat in the lobby lounge and my wife cried out in pain as she sat down. Apparently the person before us had broken a glass on the table/ seat and the hadn't cleaned it up properly. We removed the shard of glass from her hand and tried to make the most of it with the piano music. The music played until 6:10 when the guy got up, left and never returned. We were told by the server that because it was summertime, the music doesn't happen very regularly. All the while my wife was trying to stop the bleeding as the server continued to bring more napkins as they became soiled. Once the music ended we decided to leave as without music there was no ambiance at all. I was pretty surprised when they gave me a bill for $15 for the two drinks we had after the glass incident but did pay it. I complained at the front desk and the response I received obviously showed us that they couldn't care less. If this is any indication of the management attitude I would recommend cautiousness in patronizing this establishment.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MitchCalgary
Naheed W, Manager at Hotel Blackfoot, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Our management team has reviewed your comments and apologizes for any oversight. Cleanliness and the safety of our guests is of utmost importance to our hotel. We do have first aid kits throughout the various departments of the hotel, and I am surprised if this wasn't offered to you.

With regards to our pianist, he plays in the lobby lounge from 4:300 pm until 7:30 pm during the week. During this time the pianist will take a few short breaks which is standard for any musician. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We would very much like the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel blackfoot and are hoping that you will contact our restaurant manager or rooms manager during your next visit.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Don't be put off by the location or the look of the building, this is a little gem.
Free parking not to be sniffed at and an outside pool are the reasons I booked and I wasn't disappointed.
The restaurant is good value for money and the staff are enthusiastic and efficient both there and reception.
A cab to Central Calgary is just $15, a bargain to us from the UK and if you go to the Stampede the Circle bus stops outside.
The rooms are clean and well furnished, fabulous beds and bathrooms.
To be recommended!

Room Tip: On the back overlooking the pool, the intersection with traffic lights is a little noisy on the fron...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family