“Quiet, Clean and Covenient”
Review of Carriage House Inn

Carriage House Inn
Ranked #31 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel in early February while on a business trip. I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past 10 years however this is my first review. This hotel holds no surprises for me. It is clean and quiet and convenient for me. The room in which I stayed was facing the parking lot and it was quiet. The room and, in particular, the washroom seemed a bit smaller than what I recall from earlier visits. It was equipped with a flat screen tv and a fairly large bar fridge. The bed was comfortable and the linen was appropriate. I particularly like the fact that one can open the window as I find that many hotels are stuffy, particularly in the winter. The check-in service is efficient and the staff are polite and pleasant. The hotel features 3 restaurants: One formal restaurant, one beverage/gaming room in which you can order meals as well as a sports bar that serves food as well. I found the meals were quite good. My room included a buffet style breakfast. It is limited in its offerings but it met my needs.
As mentioned in an earlier review, there are renovations going on however I never heard any noise not was I ever disturbed by it during my 4 night stay.

Room Tip: During renovatons, it might be best to try to obtain rooms ending in even numbers in the 50 to 64 ra...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank VernonBirdman
Write a ReviewReviews (1,078)

Reviewed 5 January 2012

I gotta start by saying one of the main reasons i booked this hotel was because of all the others reviews it had on Trip Advisor. I was kind of surprised when i got to the hotel. I mean, it was not bad, but it was just OK. I should have stayed in Downtown for a better hotel but went against my better judgement and stayed here.

The hotel is at most a 3 star hotel. Nothing to write home about. Currently , it is undergoing renovations, which BTW, they should mention to you when you book, i had no idea. Luckily, it was over the Christmas Holidays so the workers were out and i didn't have to endure the noise but for a couple of days.

And it looks it too, a lot of dirt around, supplies, etc... not a good look in the front of the building.
Renovations will be a good thing though, since this hotel is stuck in the 70's!!!.
Carpet needs to be replaced in the aisles, bathrooms are small but on the plus side the room was very clean and beds were queen size with premium bedding, very comfortable.

Hotel only has room service until 9 pm, which i guess for a city like Calgary is ok.
They had a Chritsmas dinner which was served only til 6 PM!!!! (and that was the later dinner) so i could not make that either.or understand it. I guess workers needed to go home early.

I was just surprised by some of the things that went on during my stay there, since this hotel had good reviews!. Also, the housekeeping services called me on 2 different days to see if "i needed to have the room cleaned" since we wre still in the room late and they were "going home early". What kind of hotel does that? none that i have ever stayed in.

On another ocassion, someone knocks on the door, doesn't even wait for us to reply that we were there and the door flungs open!!! WTH????
It was the maintenance guy that needed to do some sealing or something. I mean, what if we were taking a shower, or walking around naked or something? Crazy!!.
He was actually kind of surprised we were in the room and said he'd come back another day, after i told him to come in and do what he needed to do.

On the positive side, the service was good, food was decent, room service fast and location was convinient. By no means is it a pretty location, it is a busy highway but eveything is close.

I should also mention one of the elevators was out of service for the majority of our stay. And they had a musty smell.

A plus that they leave fresh cookies in your room every day, and for Christmas they left us a nice Christmas cookie tray.

Next time i'm in Calgary, i will stay somewhere nicer. But if you are staying a couple of days, it is like i said previously , just ok.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank kalifa282003
Reviewed 20 November 2011

A couple of stays in the past few years have been very good. This one however has been less than stellar by a long shot.
In booking I had indicated "Sleep is critical. I need a quiet room please." Initially our room at the end of the hall seemed perfect. Then, at about 11:00PM the boy's hockey team from somewhere that had rolled in for a tournament, surrounded us. Nice kids, not too loud vocally, but they filled our floor and had an unbelievable penchant for banging doors..........constantly..........at 30 - 60 second intervals much of the time. I don't think I've ever experienced anything thing like it. Actually, they may have been practicing shooting pucks against the door.
Finally, after about an hour the noise stopped after hearing someone going door to door and knocking, speaking quietly and putting an end to the racket.
This morning the breakfast buffet which was part of the room cost was pretty mediocre and after the initial coffee pour the waitress never returned. Despite a relatively slow dining room with two servers on duty, neither of which were being run off their feet, there simply was no further service. We weren't even asked whether or not we wanted menus or the buffet, let alone get a coffee refill.
Having said all that, and given the place is in a mess with construction, the room was very clean and the beds are still as wonderfully comfortable as I remember...........and I'm really picky about beds. These are terrific!
I'll accept the sleep noise as bad luck. As for the breakfast experience........despite the convenience, I'd warm up the car and go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any high energy youth groups booked in and room as far away as possible.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert C
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Carriage House Inn is something of a Calgary landmark. It sits a few kilometers south of downtown along McLeod Trail. The old owner, known for his fierce pride and superb customer care, passed away some time ago and the place is undergoing a well-deserved renovation. The rooms are very comfortable and everything is spanking new. Beds are luxurious. The rooms are not large but if you take the deluxe room there is ample space for working with your computer and sitting to read the paper. From the south-facing rooms above the 5th floor you have a beautiful view of the Rocky Mountains. You can stumble home from the Ranchman Restaurant.
I showed up with no reservation and got a great room for one-third of the price I would have paid downtown. The commute took me about 15 minutes or so during rush hour. Staff was really friendly and helpful. There was a small but perfectly adequate breakfast buffet in the morning. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view - downtown on the north and the mountains on the south.
2  Thank Fracman
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Just attended a conference at this hotel and didn't know about the outside renovations. I was on the 2nd floor and had the scaffolding right outside my room - not the best scenario but it did not disrupt my sleep. (Important on biz trips!).
Staff really friendly, paid my cab back to the airport. My room was nicely renovated with a very comfortable bed. The only downside is the heating. When you need to make a change - it takes an hour to take effect!

2  Thank SmithyAM
Reviewed 22 October 2011

I stayed at the Carriage House Inn in 2009 and it was nice, although in 2011, the renovations are certainly making it stand out a little more. Despite staying on the 6th floor, the construction workers were right outside my window (I only saw the notice on the desk about construction after I saw them). I had a VIP Queen room, it was a standard sized room with standard amenities and a sitting area. The decor was nice and having free wireless throughout the building was a definite plus. I was a little disappointed in the bed, I didn't have a very good sleep and the pillows were super dense with no non-firm option. Moreover, I could hear noises between the walls, like cracking. Made it a little distracting. The nice thing about the Carriage House are the cookies you get in your room. Sadly, mine were quite crunchy. As well, the stairs are closed off as emergency exits so you can't get a little exercise while you're there.

We went for drinks in Dudley's Lounge, which I hope after the building gets a facelift, it gets some attention too. But service was alright and the drink special was good. Also went to the fancy restaurant for supper. Despite being one of a couple tables with people, it did take a very long time for our food to come, but the service was nevertheless very good and the food was excellent.

Overall, the visit was fine. The best part was the baked goods for sale in the lobby.

1  Thank theseoldroads
Reviewed 12 October 2011

The hotel still under construction, I tried to check in early 1:30pm and of course no rooms were ready so left my luggage and ventured out to the Winners and Homesense down the street. I came back by 4:00pm and my room still was not ready. I asked I think it was Holly at the desk why is it not ready and she replied I don't know I do not clean the rooms. " Okay" I know or you would not be behind the desk. I finally got my room. Was one of the renovated VIP rooms which is average, great soaker tub. I would said 3 star standard. The room service food was great* try the halibut fish and chips* Everyone else was very freindly. I went for business and stayed 2 nights. I agree the breakfast buffet is nothing too special, but it is free. Overall visit was fine.

Room Tip: Stay on Higher floor facing mountains.
2  Thank HopeToronto_Ontario