“HOT! and not in a good way...”

Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #44 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I stayed here for one night only mid-July, and definitely was not thrilled. The lack of customer service / wait time to check in (only one other person checking in at the time) was definitely a turn off. The hotel room was scorching hot! There was one floor fan in the room, which did absolutely nothing for us. It was almost impossible to sleep! And yes, I live in Southern Alberta, and know how hot it can get, but this was just plain silly. As well, the fire alarm went off twice - once early morning and again an hour or two later - making it, again, almost impossible to sleep.

The only perks of the hotel: clean (inside only though), modern, good location. Not sure if I would stay again though...

1  Thank heat912
TKippen, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am sorry that you did not have a comfortable stay due to the heat. We have now corrected the problem with the air conditioning in our guest rooms. I would also like to apologize for the timely check-in, I have forwarded your comment to our Front Office department.

We would like the opportunity to make this up to you and hope that you would reconsider staying with us again.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Coast Plaza from July 24 thru 27/2012 for our 43rd wedding anniversary. I booked a top floor room with a west view about two months in advance. When we arrived, the hostess told me that our room was blacked out on their computer so that we would be sure and get the one we wanted. I thought that was very nice of them. Throughout our stay, all the staff were very friendly and helpful. They even delivered a plate of chocolate dipped strawberries and a chilled bottle of white wine to our room the first night. As far as the hotel building goes, we had to let the shower run for at least 15 minutes before the water even started to get warm. (The 12th floor has it's drawbacks). Also, they were having trouble with the AC, so we had no AC in our room until the last afternoon when the maintenance staff brought a portable unit in. This unit quit after about 10 minutes, so they brought a brand new one. There was also a portable fan in the room when we arrived.
We didn't eat in the restaurant very often, as I thought it was very over priced for what you got.
Because I'm in a wheelchair, the pool and hot tub were also unaccessable because of stairs.
All in all though, we had a very relaxing time, and will probably go back again.

Room Tip: We have stayed in a few of the rooms at this hotel, but would recommend the top floor with a west vi...
1  Thank OnepeopleOneblood
TKippen, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay at the Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre. I have forwared the water and heat concerns to the appropriate departments as well as the accessibility of the pool and hot tub.

We truly appreciate knowing about our guest’s experiences so we can celebrate our successes and address our challenges to better serve you in the future.

Happy Anniversary and we look forward to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I had booked a room at the hotel since I was attending a wedding reception there. On the morning of check-in, I called the hotel requesting a playpen, and was advised that playpens were available and a note was made on my reservation.

After checking in at around 2 pm, I called the front desk at around 3:30 pm asking when the playpen would arrive, and was told they would look into it. Since I was hoping to have the playpen available in the afternoon to nap my toddler, I was relying on the playpen arriving soon after checking in. I called again a half hour later to check on the status, and was told again they would look into it. After another half hour, I went down to the front desk to inquire again in regards to the playpen, only to be told that housekeeping was looking for a playpen, they didn't know where they were, and they weren't sure when one was going to be found.

I find it unbelievable that the hotel would not know which rooms were assigned playpens for the previous night and that housekeeping would have to search the rooms to find a playpen. The excuse the front desk gave to me was that it was because the hotel was full the night before that they couldn't find a playpen. This was the same excuse I heard them give to another guest as to why their room wasn't ready (by now it was almost 5 pm). I did notice a cleaning lady on our floor still cleaning out rooms at that time.

I went back upstairs, and decided to nap my toddler by driving him around in my van. I called down to the front desk to inquire if they would enter my hotel room with the playpen if no one was present, only to be told at that time that there were no playpens available. As I was relying on having a playpen that night for my toddler, I had to go and acquire one, and I left a message with the front desk for the manager to contact me.

To their credit, they informed me a playpen would be purchased for my use, but the message was sent at 7:30 (over 2 hours after the problem was noted) and I would have need a solution much sooner than that, and I didn't receive the message until 9:30, since I was at the wedding reception.

If it were not for the misinformation and run around, the stay would have been much more enjoyable and less infuriating.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mlcm

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I would like to personally apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay . I have followed up with our Front Desk and Housekeeping Departments regarding our playpen policie and are taking the necessary steps to ensure this does not happen again in the future. We strive to ensure every stay is filled with positive interactions that exceed our guest expectations and we have failed in our endeavour to do so. We would like the opportunity to make this up to you and hope that you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 21 July 2012

We recently visited Calgary during the week of the Stampede so finding accommodation was near impossible. At the last minute we were able to secure a booking at The Coast Plaza. The room was very clean; extremely quiet; very roomy - 2 queen size beds and the restaurant offered fantastic well-priced food. The lobby is very welcoming - lovely lounge chairs and loads of room to relax and have a chat. The Hotel staff were all very friendly and happily attended to our requests. Great place especially as it is so near to the airport.

Room Tip: We stayed in Tower A and it was great.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Annabel B

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you enjoyed the Calgary Stampede.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Coast Plaza Calgary to attend the 100th Calgary Stampede. I found a that the service was great for both days that we where staying there. They had a free shuttle from the airport there and back to the hotel. We felt very welcome when we stayed there. Every person was nice and polite to us from the shuttle bus driver to the desk clerks and cleaning staff. We also recieved a complementary breakfast, ( stampede package) which i have to say i never had a better breakfast at any hotel. The food was great. There is a c-train 2 blocks away from the hotel, which really helps for all guests to use and not have to rent a car and drive in a confusing city like calgary. The staff also informed us of this when we spoke to them over the phone. I do recommend everyone to stay there. It is a very clean, friendly hotel. Once we checked out from the hotel, they let us leave our luggage for free there so we can go to the rodeo.

Room Tip: Any room is great
3  Thank Peter P

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the Stampede Package.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

nothing special rooms O.K usual clean comfortable beds but aircon was having problems and had an extra tower fan in room to try to help.
cleaning of the bathroom was not the best.
10 min walk to C-train which could be a bit scary coming back at night.
The restaurant food average, staff awful, I know as a single traveler one does not always get the best table or service but they brought this to a new all time low.

Room Tip: find out any that has working air con
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank bluedragon52
TKippen, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I am disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your stay. We have experienced issues with our air conditioning and are taking the steps to ensure that this is corrected to ensure all areas of the hotel are comfortable for all of our guests. We strive to ensure every stay is filled with positive interactions that exceed guest expectations and have failed in our endeavour to do so in the restaurant. I have notified the appropriate department heads so we can work together to improve our guest interaction.

We would like to opportunity to make this us to you and hope that you would consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights before departing for Vancouver on the Rocky Mountaineer train. We walked to the train to get us into the Calgary Stampede. Bit of a trek, but do-able. The hotel was clean and the air conditioning was good. The room was big and spacious. Reception staff was not the most welcoming. Our waitress in the restaurant for breakfast was less than pleasant, but the barman in the bar, where we ate both nights was extremely nice. We had an issue with the shower but the house keeping staff and maintaince man dealt with it very quickly and nicely. The hotel was pricey because of the Stampede, but I would stay in this hotel again. It was a good base for a busy visit to Calgary.

1  Thank EmmaGDublin

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay overall. We strive to ensure every stay is filled with positive interactions that exceed our guest expectations and we have failed in our endeavour to do so. I have notified the approriate departments so we can work together in improving our guest interaction.

We look forward to your return when you are in the area again.