“Thoroughly Impressed”

Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #42 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I stayed four nights in this fine hotel from March 11-14, 2013, while in Calgary for work related training. Fortunately, my company paid for the room, as well as breakfasts and dinners in the restaurant, so my expenses were limited to tipping the restaurant servers.

While I have only experienced a dozen or so different hotels in my time, I must admit this one was by FAR the most pleasant experience I've had. Not having been there before, I wasn't sure what to expect when I pulled into the parking lot, weary from an 8.5 hour drive over winter roads. The size and tasteful decor of the lobby impressed me. The staff members were sharply dressed in business attire which reflected their courteous, helpful, and very professional demenours.

I lugged my baggage up to my room on the 6th floor. The room featured a double bed, flat-screen TV, (42"?) mini-fridge, and a coffee-maker. Everything was extremely clean, and the room was cozy and inviting. As a nice touch, a copy of the Globe and Mail was delivered to my door each morning.

Hungry from my trip, I immediately headed down to the restaurant for dinner. Every meal in the subsequent days was excellent, as was the service. As most entrees were in the $18 range, most of my dinners totalled around the $25 mark. If paying out of pocket, I would rarely pay such a price for a dinner, but, fortunately, my company covered the cost. The servers (two Chinese ladies) were extremely pleasant and charming, and by the second day one of them knew most of us by name, and we would spend 15-20 minutes chatting.

Retiring to my room, I was amazed by how quiet everything was. There was virtually no hallway noise at all, and absolutely nothing from the streets below. The bed was very comfortable, and I wasn't awakened once by noises.

I must admit, at the end of my four days, I was a bit sad to be leaving. I couldn't have asked for a better accomodation. I was amazed to learn that the rate was only $120 per night. This is the going rate at the Super 8 in Regina (where I have stayed MANY a night). However, unlike Regina's Super 8, the rooms and hallways are actually quiet, so you don't wake up feeling like you've been run over by a bus. The staff treats you like they are actually pleased and grateful to have your business, instead of making you feel like an annoyance, like (most of) the Super 8 staff does.

If I need to stay in Calgary again, I will definately choose this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
TKippen, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate knowing about our guest’s experiences so we can celebrate our successes and address our challenges to better serve you in the future. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to seeing you again the future.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

Booked hotel online for about 80 bucks taxes and fees in for a Saturday night.. And i have stayed in numerous hotels across canada.. and i would say this is more of a 4 star. Comfortable beds, nice staff, nice lobby, conference areas, pool is well looked after, sauna and whirlpool. We were there to do some shopping, but enjoyed the hotel , especially for the price on a weekend. :) Will be sure to return. Breakfast buffet is okay.. but i wouldn't go crazy over it..

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Traveller12234
TKippen, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Thank you very much for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and look foward to your return. I have forwarded your comments regarding breakfast to the restaurant.

Reviewed 10 February 2013

Room was clean, everything in it worked as it was supposed to.
The Food I ordered for room service left a lot to be desired, but it wasn't the worst I've had.
The Check-in and out process was fast, pleasant and efficient.

Although the hotel is a little out-dated, I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Watch out for smoking rooms if you arent a smoker. They floors with smoking rooms were a little sti...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am happy to see you enjoyed your stay overall and have shared your comments with our restaurant regarding the room service.

We hope you consider staying with us again soon.

Reviewed 22 January 2013

I quite enjoyed my stay at this hotel, the room was clean and modern and the beds were very comfortable. There were a lot of restaurants close by and ample parking. The lobby was lovely and overall I thought it was great!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
TKippen, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay at the Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre. We appreciate the time you took sharing your comments and hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

My son and I had stayed at this hotel in August 2012, while it is not that bad of a hotel, I was rather angered by the fact that I had 2 items that went missing. I brought it to the attention of staff both times. Guess what, Couldn't find either, even though both items were in my room and I didn't leave the hotel for 2 days. I was at a conference, didn't go anywhere else but the hotel. I really believe the staff took it. One was a sweater and the other was a phone charger. It was either that or the staff lost it. Not Impressed! did not find the staff helpful with this. Other than that everything else was nice, food was great, comfortable and clean rooms. Nice hotel for the most part. Just do not leave items anywhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

I would like to apologize that you encountered missing items during your recent stay at the Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre. We have taken this issue seriously and are looking into the matter in depth.
I am happy that you did enjoy our hotel and hope that we can correct the issue shortly.

Reviewed 22 December 2012

This hotel was very nice, Lobby is well decorated especially for Christmas time. The room it's self was nice and clean, the beds SO comfy!! the kids LOVED the pool and the hot tub was just what I needed after a day of shopping. The pool was about 5ft deep, which not many are now a days. loved the fact that there was a lounge and night club attached to the hotel as well. the only down fall, the toilet in room 701... didnt flush properly. took about 7-8 flushes to flush down a piece of toilet paer. may want to get that fixed. other then that the stay was lovely!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jenny263
TKippen, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

Thank you very much for your review. I'm glad your family enjoyed your stay and loved the pool. I have forwarded the toilet issue to our maintenance department.

We look foward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 16 December 2012

This place really doesn't deserve it's relatively poor trip advisor rating. I was a bit worried to be honest but when I arrived I was pleasantly surprised! Beautiful grand lobby and hallways had a nice luxury feel, you can tell this hotel was beautiful in its day and they've done a good job keeping it nice. The rooms are dated, yes, but very clean and good size with comfortable beds and nice linens. Check out was fast and staff efficient. I would stay here again, especially for the low price, it's excellent value for money.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank chartravel

Thank you very much for your comments. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again.