“A bit shop-worn but clean, roomy, nice touches”

Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #41 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 4 September 2013

It's true that this hotel is a BIT shop-worn, but in our tower everything was clean and the rooms had decent furniture for vacationers and desks and chairs for business people to work. It has some of the extras fitting found in hotels of a generation ago: really nice bathroom products and bigger rooms than are built today, The hotel pool and whirlpool are small, and the tiles around them are slippery and need addressing by management—but I thought it strange that someone described the atmosphere as 'horrible and creepy', but to each their own opinion. Dinner in the hotel restaurant was competent if a tad underwhelming, and the breakfast buffet was enjoyed by all including a party member with a gluten allergy. We had a good discount and I'm not sure that I would have paid full price. It was close to the airport and with easy access to downtown Calgary.

Room Tip: A king bed on a quiet side on an upper floor will also get you a roomy spot with nice furniture and...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Meghan R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Fantastic to hear you had a great stay and were able to take advantage of the many services on-site. We are in the process of updating our appearance (inside and out!) and hope you will return in the future so we can showcase these exciting changes!

Reviewed 31 August 2013

My experience seemed quite different than the other reviews Iv'e just read. My husband, two children and I stayed at the beginning of August with a check in on a Friday. We arrived early and got an early check in of 11am. We were thrilled. The inside is much nicer than the outside. The pool and hot tub are quite small. Somewhat disappointing. We chose not to use the facilities. The room service menu was good however the food was average. The service at front desk was great. The housekeeping was very good. The tub needed repair, the plug didn't work, so showering was the only option. Having a baby, this was inconvenient. Overall, the price was about right for what we got. The beds were comfortable and the location, being close to the hwy. was very good. This helped a lot, not knowing the area very well. If you are looking for inexpensive and are not familiar with Calgary, I would recommend staying here for the access to all the basic amenities. Mc Donald's, Tim Hortons, Malls for shopping and Hwy. is nice and close by. A/C, heater needs upgrading but other than that, its a decent hotel.

Room Tip: Choose Higher floors to have a nice view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at the Coast Plaza! We are thrilled to hear that overall you had a great stay and that we met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back if ever in the Calgary area again!

Reviewed 28 August 2013

This was the worst experience my family had ever experienced in a hotel EVER!! They weren't prepared for us when we checked. Dinner was HORRIBLE, other dinner guests were beyond LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS, the swimming pool atmosphere was horrible and creepy, the stairs to the pool were a death trap, our tub didn't drain, we had to wait 20 min to be put into a new room and then they was almost charged AN UPGRADE COST, breakfast was revolting. Thank goodness I had enough sense to find a new hotel for our family for the next night. I would have been better flushing my $201.53 plus food money down the toilet!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank aniffej
Meghan R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

What an incredible review. We are so sorry that your stay with us was unacceptable to you.
Your review was also received at our corporate office and our General Manager has reached out to you through email and to date has not received a response from you.
I would like to mention that the cost of your room was $179.00 and included a $50.00 shopping card for Cross Iron Mills. Taxes, fees and phone call brought your total bill to $201.53.
We certainly would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your review further and would ask you to respond by email to jgodfrey@calgaryplaza.com.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Let me start by saying that we stay in hotels about 200 nights a year for business - had a last minute trip to Calgary and booked two rooms for one night at this property because our usual hotels were full. Went to the front desk for a coffee at 6:30 in the morning and discovered the carafes were empty. When I asked for coffee I was told that the restaurant opened in 15 minutes. So I asked again are you sure I can't get a coffee? Again response no you have to wait for the restaurant to open - at this point the "security guard" comes over and reiterates that I have to wait. Ok now I'm ticked. I go back to my room and of course my key card doesn't work - back down to the front desk for re-key - back upstairs and my key card doesn't work - back down to the front desk. I'm really ticked now - this time I phone down and the "security guard" comes up and opens my door. To top it off we had to wait for the maids to "check our room" before we could check out - REALLY??? I'm fuming at the front desk when a guy comes out of the managers office - I'm ready to tell him about my stay so I ask if he's the manager - his response was a quick turnaround back to his office. It took 45 minutes from the time I asked for coffee to finally check out of this place. We have a small business and our team also stays in hotels across western Canada . Oh and Mr. "Security Guard"? That smirk on your face as you enjoyed my frustration spoke volumes - we will NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN.

Room Tip: Skip this hotel all together
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank reddeerab

We are so sorry to hear about your experience and have certainly had conversations with our team to ensure this behavior does not reoccur.
This certainly is not the customer service we pride ourselves on and would appreciate the opportunity to show you the service your received is beyond normal. If you could please contact our Director of Sales (jgodfrey@calgaryplaza.com) to discuss this further.

Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

friendly staff .nice rooms .but a noisy aircon unit. room 608.bit pricey but not a bad place to stay..the pool was good and clean .we left the car there for a month and used the curtesy bus .for the airport. drivers helped with luggage and kids.

• Stayed: August 2013

We are happy to hear that you had a nice stay and were able to accommodate your needs. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed one night in August on a business trip and had a king bed room. The room was clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. It wasn't fancy but it was clean. I didn't hear any noise outside of my room and had a peaceful sleep. Room service food was adequate (not great) but did not receive my breakfast in the morning at the scheduled time. When I called I was told my order was not delivered by night security (you put your order on the outside of your door and night security is supposed to pick up and deliver to the kitchen). Had to rush my order so that I could make my meeting on time. As an apology, the bottle of water I ordered with my breakfast was provided free of charge.

Outside of that one issue, I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Calgary area. It's located in an industrial type area so not the most " fun vacation type area" but the hotel is perfectly safe and offers a comfortable stay and is close to major traffic routes. Easily accessible by car and is clean and comfortable. It feels more like a business hotel rather than a vacation hotel but is comfortable enough to spend a few vacation days too. Just don't expect a resort type area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Meghan R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

We are so happy to hear you had a great stay! We greatly appreciate your valuable review and apologize for the mix-up with your room service order. We hope you had a safe trip home!

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We were looking for a place close enough to the airport, since we were flying out early in the morning. We chose this hotel because it seemed decent, and close to shops and restaurants.
I do have to agree with the other comments stating that they were not sure if it is in a good neighborhood, but I didn't have any issues.
There are a lot of restaurants nearby. We ended up having chinese at the "Pebble Street" in the Pacific Mall next door, which was actually cheap and good. As far as shopping, the front desk referred us to go to "Sunridge Mall" which is on the other side of the Transway, ,and this mall was good too.
The rooms were nice and clean, and we could see the downtown area from there.
Have to say, it was a good deal, if you are looking for a place close to the airport!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Meghan R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Great to hear that you had a fantastic stay. We appreciate being recognized for our convenient location to Sunridge Mall and Marlborough Mall as well as the many nearby restaurants! We hope you had a safe return flight home and to see you again soon!