“Below Average Hotel, Above Average Service”

Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #41 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I desperately want to give this hotel 2 stars. The non smoking room smelled like a smoky casino. There were more cigarette burns on the bathroom sink, carpet and drapes than I could count. The television didn't work. The view was of a filthy parking lot (it is a conference center in a cruddy part of town, so that can't be helped I suppose). The window coverings didn't sufficiently block the light at night nor in the morning...it was bad.

But, the bed was comfortable and the sheets seemed clean. So some sleep was accomplished. The reason and ONLY reason it doesn't get one to two stars is because the Canadian staff...so friendly and helpful. The kid at the desk remembered my name the next day and went out of his way for me. The buffet waitresses were amazingly friendly and helpful. And the buffet was actually a really good breakfast at a pretty good price.

PLEASE COAST HOTELS, clean up the property to match the high standards set by your staff!

Room Tip: Choose one somewhere else...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Meghan R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

We are sorry to hear that your recent stay did not meet your satisfaction. Your comments have been shared with the appropriate departments to ensure the issues are dealt with accordingly. The hotel is in the process of refreshing our guestrooms and hope you will give us an opportunity to make this up to you in the future! On a positive note, we are extremely pleased that our staff were friendly and accommodating to you and that they assisted in making your stay more enjoyable!

Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

I was in town for one night for a holiday party. I ended up not feeling well. The gentleman at the front desk ordered a cab to take me to the hospital. I ended up having to stay in the hospital past check out. They were very understanding and offered me a late check out. Things progessed and I ended up needing emergency surgery. A quick call to the hotel later and they had the room ready for my family to go into that night.

I really appreciated all their help and not having to worry about this when I had other stuff going on. Great job!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Meghan R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

We greatly appreciate your recent review and are thrilled to hear that our staff were accommodating to you and your family. We have shared your feedback with our staff so they know that all of their hard work goes a long way! Wishing you a speedy recovery. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Coast Plaza Calgary located in north-east of the downtown Calgary, closer to the International airport. This hotel is ideal for business travelers who do not need to go to downtown as the traffic is generally light in this part of the city. It is adequate for short term stay, but probably not ideal for long term stay. There is not much around the vicinity other than two shopping malls, a 2nd. run movie house and variety of restaurants. There is a sports bar in the hotel, which is a nice place to hang out. The restaurant within the hotel is also pretty good. The hotel staff is friendly and courteous. The room service is good. Rooms are generally available in short notice, except for the Calgary Stampede week, so book ahead during that time. I stayed there at least a dozen times, and never found any major issues that I need to mention here. Overall, pretty decent place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Kaustuv R
Meghan R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Many thanks for your recent review! We appreciate being recognized for our convenient location to downtown and the Calgary International Airport as well as the many services in our area. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future! All the best to you and yours in 2014!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

The folks here are super friendly and try to be helpful.
I stay here about 4 times a year. There always seems to be 'bumps' ... The hotel rooms always feel cluttered and I usually have a snag like key cards not working... I stay here because the company lays for it - not by preference. :(
On the plus side- the conference services ALWAYS seem to go smoothly.

• Stayed: November 2013
Meghan R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you for the review! We are sorry to hear that our guestrooms do not meet your expectations. The hotel is currently updating the decor in our guestrooms and hope you will be able to experience our new look soon!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

my husband and I checked in on Friday for business. I introduced myself to the hotel desk clerk as a Coast Rewards member. They had no idea about the program. They had a difficult time understanding what I was saying to them about my rewards card. At check out there was another hotel desk clerk who took my card and added the stay onto that. The hotel is starting to look its age. The room was comfortable, The light fixtures needed new bulbs. very dim. We requested a late check out and the hotel desk clerk called us to see if we were checking out or not. That was at 12:15. One good thing they had was the hot apple cider in the front foyer.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

We thank you for taking the time to share comments about your recent stay and apologize for the inconvenience experienced at check-in. The Coast Plaza Hotel and Coast Hotels greatly values the loyalty of all Coast Rewards Members. We are in the process of updating the decor in our rooms and hope you return in the future to see our refreshed rooms!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I recently stayed at the Coast Plaza Hotel while attending a conference at the property. The staff were friend and helpful. There is a complimentary shuttle to and from the hotel; however, it does not start service until 5:00am and I had to leave for the airport by 4:30am. The room was nice and spacious, but a bit outdated with a small bathroom. The breakfast buffet was decent, but nothing special. I would definitely stay there on a future visit to Calgary if I wanted to be near the airport.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Samuel A
Meghan R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Thank you for your recent review. We are thrilled to hear that your stay was enjoyable. We are in the process of refreshing the guestroom décor and look forward to welcoming you back in the future so you can experience our new look!

Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed at the Coast hotel. Location was great...everything in close distance.

Rooms were a little outdated but everything was clean. Beds were very comfortable and the hotel was quiet

Breakfast in the morning was very good. Probably the best part of the hotel was Jeremy who was our server in the morning. A truly great server! Very attentive and friendly. Way to go Jeremy!

I would stay here again

Stayed: October 2013
Meghan R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

It is great to hear that your recent stay was enjoyable. We are in the process of refreshing our rooms and hope you return soon to see the changes! Thank you for highlighting the fantastic customer service you experienced in our restaurant and will make sure your kind words are passed onto Jeremy! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!