“Great Bed!”

Ranked #39 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Victoria, Canada
“Great Bed!”
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed the night before an early flight, because they offered free shuttle & allowed us 7 days free parking. The hotel was a little above average (some road noise) but the king sized bed was one of the nicest I have found in many years. This hotel is in the city's N.E.
and because of airport construction/road change, it is not real close to airport anymore. Free parking & shuttle helps. Would stay again for a 1 nighter.

• Stayed August 2013
Meghan R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thanks for your review! We are happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay and were able to take advantage of our Stop Over package as a convenient alternative to parking at the airport. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 25 January 2014

The Coast Plaza doesn't pretend to be something its not...
Its a reasonably priced hotel with expected amenities (pool, gym, bar, restaurant, conference rooms etc...).
My family and I stayed one night in what's called a "Superior room" on the 11th floor. The room had a great view of the downtown Calgary skyline with the rocky mountains in the background. The problem with the room was the walls were thin.
We were waken several times by the neighboring rooms and we ended up calling security twice.
-I know, this is a review of the hotel, not the other guests-
The furniture was dated, as was the bathroom. The HD TV was nice, and the hotel does provide internet plug-in. (not sure if there was Wi-Fi). Reception was nice, but nothing to rave about.
Overall, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
It is unfortunate your recent stay did not meet your expectations. The hotel is currently in the process of updating the décor in our guestrooms and we urge you to come back in the future to experience our new look!
Mill Valley, California, United States
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I desperately want to give this hotel 2 stars. The non smoking room smelled like a smoky casino. There were more cigarette burns on the bathroom sink, carpet and drapes than I could count. The television didn't work. The view was of a filthy parking lot (it is a conference center in a cruddy part of town, so that can't be helped I suppose). The window coverings didn't sufficiently block the light at night nor in the morning...it was bad.

But, the bed was comfortable and the sheets seemed clean. So some sleep was accomplished. The reason and ONLY reason it doesn't get one to two stars is because the Canadian staff...so friendly and helpful. The kid at the desk remembered my name the next day and went out of his way for me. The buffet waitresses were amazingly friendly and helpful. And the buffet was actually a really good breakfast at a pretty good price.

PLEASE COAST HOTELS, clean up the property to match the high standards set by your staff!

Room Tip: Choose one somewhere else...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
We are sorry to hear that your recent stay did not meet your satisfaction. Your comments have been shared with the appropriate departments to ensure the issues are dealt with accordingly. The hotel is in the process of refreshing our guestrooms and hope you will give us an opportunity to make this up to you in the future! On a positive note, we are extremely pleased that our staff were friendly and accommodating to you and that they assisted in making your stay more enjoyable!
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

I was in town for one night for a holiday party. I ended up not feeling well. The gentleman at the front desk ordered a cab to take me to the hospital. I ended up having to stay in the hospital past check out. They were very understanding and offered me a late check out. Things progessed and I ended up needing emergency surgery. A quick call to the hotel later and they had the room ready for my family to go into that night.

I really appreciated all their help and not having to worry about this when I had other stuff going on. Great job!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Meghan R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
We greatly appreciate your recent review and are thrilled to hear that our staff were accommodating to you and your family. We have shared your feedback with our staff so they know that all of their hard work goes a long way! Wishing you a speedy recovery. We hope to see you again in the future!
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Coast Plaza Calgary located in north-east of the downtown Calgary, closer to the International airport. This hotel is ideal for business travelers who do not need to go to downtown as the traffic is generally light in this part of the city. It is adequate for short term stay, but probably not ideal for long term stay. There is not much around the vicinity other than two shopping malls, a 2nd. run movie house and variety of restaurants. There is a sports bar in the hotel, which is a nice place to hang out. The restaurant within the hotel is also pretty good. The hotel staff is friendly and courteous. The room service is good. Rooms are generally available in short notice, except for the Calgary Stampede week, so book ahead during that time. I stayed there at least a dozen times, and never found any major issues that I need to mention here. Overall, pretty decent place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Kaustuv R
Meghan R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Many thanks for your recent review! We appreciate being recognized for our convenient location to downtown and the Calgary International Airport as well as the many services in our area. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future! All the best to you and yours in 2014!
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The folks here are super friendly and try to be helpful.
I stay here about 4 times a year. There always seems to be 'bumps' ... The hotel rooms always feel cluttered and I usually have a snag like key cards not working... I stay here because the company lays for it - not by preference. :(
On the plus side- the conference services ALWAYS seem to go smoothly.

• Stayed November 2013
Meghan R, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for the review! We are sorry to hear that our guestrooms do not meet your expectations. The hotel is currently updating the decor in our guestrooms and hope you will be able to experience our new look soon!
Edmonton
Reviewed 2 December 2013

my husband and I checked in on Friday for business. I introduced myself to the hotel desk clerk as a Coast Rewards member. They had no idea about the program. They had a difficult time understanding what I was saying to them about my rewards card. At check out there was another hotel desk clerk who took my card and added the stay onto that. The hotel is starting to look its age. The room was comfortable, The light fixtures needed new bulbs. very dim. We requested a late check out and the hotel desk clerk called us to see if we were checking out or not. That was at 12:15. One good thing they had was the hot apple cider in the front foyer.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
We thank you for taking the time to share comments about your recent stay and apologize for the inconvenience experienced at check-in. The Coast Plaza Hotel and Coast Hotels greatly values the loyalty of all Coast Rewards Members. We are in the process of updating the decor in our rooms and hope you return in the future to see our refreshed rooms!