“Typical motel village”

Ranked #74 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“Typical motel village”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Typical of motel village the room was small and dark. I was in the older building, I'm sure the new building is nicer. The kitchen is a fridge, stove and sink jammed into corner with no room for food prep. Breakfast is continental, not much choice but the Danish was good! It is a quiet location back from the highway and crowchild trail. Motel village is a great location if you are visiting Foothills hospital or the university. Most of the motels are older. I find in Calgary rooms tend to small. Econolodge is standard fair for the city.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Lorraine L
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Hello Lorraine!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about us!

From the sound of your room description it sounds like you were in one of our kitchenette suites in our exterior entrance West-Courtyard section of the hotel. All of the rooms in this section of the hotel feature a full kitchen. The guests that stay in these rooms can easily access their vehicles as all of the rooms conveniently open up to the parking lot.

We call our continental breakfast our Easy Starts Breakfast, as it as an Easy Start to your day. We include the types of items you would find at home: a variety of cereal, muffins and danishes, coffee, tea, juice, fresh fruit and bread. I totally agree with you by the way... the danishes are delicious, I always get chased out of the pantry trying to steal them. My favorite thing to do is to take the double chocolate muffins...put a small amount of button on top, and then toss it in the microwave for 10 seconds. *drool* so delicious!

We are ideally located in northwest Calgary in an area of town called Motel Village. As you described, we are right new highway #1 and Crowchild Trail, which will take you anywhere in the city! We are also across the street from the Banff Trail LRT station so you can leave your vehicle at the hotel for free, and access the entire city within minutes.

We have recently won the 2013 Alberta Hotel & Lodging Associations Housekeeping Award! This is the 6th time we have won this award, which means we are not only one of the cleanest hotels in Calgary, but all of Alberta.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit during your stay with us!

EconoLodge Inn & Suites University

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Lethbridge
Reviewed 28 February 2013

This hotel is located in Motel Village. My husband and I have stayed at a few other properties in this area but next time we will definitely return to the Econo Lodge Inn.
-We had a 1 room suite with sofabed and a very basic kitchenette (2 burner stove, small microwave and fridge and limited pots and pans). The room was small but adequate and very clean. Our only view was of workmen renovating another hotel.
-We did not use the pool or fitness centre but it looked fine.
-Free High-Speed Wired Internet worked great.
-Free basic breakfast. Without much effort this could be enhanced by adding some bagels and another fruit choice.....perhaps even a waffle maker.
-Location is excellent ......close to University, Foothills Hospital and rapid transit.
-Many choices of restaurants within walking distance.
-Check in and out was speedy and efficient.
All and all for the price this hotel offers more than most.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SharonLethbridge
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Hello!

I'm glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us!

The EconoLodge Inn & Suites is located in the heart of northwest Calgary in an area known as Motel Village. This is an area of Calgary where there are many hotels right next door to each other. We go to great lengths to ensure that our rates are extremely competitive with these other hotels, and we ensure that we treat every guest like family. When you stay at the

EconoLodge Inn & Suites University we have won the 2013 Alberta Hotel & Lodging Association's housekeeping award. You can be sure that our hotel is not only among the cleanest in Motel Village, but in ALL of Alberta.

From the sounds of your review it sounded like you stayed in one of our rooms in the newer tower section of the hotel. The room you stayed in is an efficiency suite featuring a small kitchenette and 1 queen bed. As with most of the hotels in the Calgary area, some of these rooms do face the adjacent buildings, rooms are available that face the other direction upon request.

Our complimentary wireless internet access is available to all of our guests, and we have gone to great lengths that it is the fastest available! If you encounter any problems, there is 24 hour technical support available.

We call our breakfast an Easy Starts Breakfast and it features the items you would typically find at home. We have a variety of bread, muffins, danishes, and cereal, and you can round off your breakfast with some coffee, tea, or juice.

We are located only a few steps away from the Banff Trail LRT station which will allow our guests to access the entire city within minutes. We are also a very short drive from the University of Calgary, SAIT, the Foothills Medical Center, and LOTS more!

We have also ensured that all of our front desk agents are able to check our guests in and out as quickly as possible with no complications. if you require anything during your stay there is always a front desk agent available to assist you with anything you may need!

Thanks again for taking the time to write such a detailed review! I look forward to your next stay with us!

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2013

If you're looking for a romantic getaway, don't stay here but for everything else, this hotel is awesome. For a two star rating, this hotel is amazing. They offer a continental breakfast, there's a pool, fitness room, free wi-fi and from my experience, the customer service is great.

The rooms: The rooms are nice and clean. My room was really big for a hotel. It had a queen bed and could've easily fit a second in it. There is a bar fridge, coffee maker, tv and the usual hotel stuff. The view out my window was terrible as it looks at a neighbouring hotel, that's getting a facelift. The bed was hard (which I LOVE) but most people would probably dislike and the pillow was the complete opposite. It was very soft (which I didn't like). All in al, it was a great room, especially for a two star hotel.

Wi-Fi: the wifi in the hotel. Normally, the wi-fi in hotels is terrible. It fluctuates, cuts in and out and it just sucks. Not here. I was surfing the web, watching Youtube videos and I watched a movie on Netflix. The wi-fi stayed fast and never skipped a beat.

The continental breakfast: The continental breakfast is all right for a hotel of this level. It's a cold breakfast. They have muffins, cereal, apples and bread/toast (jam, peanut butter) to eat and Coffee, tea, milk and juice to drink. It's nothing to write home about but most two star hotels (and 3 and 4 star hotels) don't offer anything. Oh and the muffins, on both mornings, they were really fresh, which surprised me as I assumed they would be dry and stale.

The fitness centre: There's only 1 elliptical, 1treadmill, 1 bike and 2 exercise matts. That said, it is brightly lit room with a good atmospheer. The room has a water cooler, tv and towels for you to use. Also, to the left of the machines is a mirror wall and to the right is a window that overlooks the pool room.

The pool: The pool and hot tube looked nice. I only stuck my head in. The pool is big enough to enjoy yourself. You couldn't do lengths because it's shape but it's big enough to play Marco Polo or hang out it.

The staff: Check in was quick and easy. The group I was with were placed all over the hotel, but that's because there was a big event going on that weekend but the person at the front desk was willing to try to shuffle things around, but we were just there to sleep, so we said not to worry about it. They smiled and were friendly, etc.

Overall, this is probably the best two star hotel that I've ever seen. Wi-Fi is amazing, decent breakfast, there's a pool and itness room. Normally, I'd say that you get what you pay for, but with this hotel, I have to say that you're getting more.

Room Tip: Some rooms have small stoves, microwaves and even pots and bowls. So if you don't want to spend...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Hello!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed and well thought our review of the hotel!

There are many different star rating systems around depending on which website you are looking on. Our star rating here on TripAdvisor is different than on a website such as Expedia. We prefer to use the Canadian Star Quality rating system, as it is the most accurate, and they physically inspect all of the hotels in Alberta each year! On their system we are a 3 star hotel.

From your review I can tell that you stayed in the newer tower section of the hotel. This section of the hotel contains most of the properties rooms, and is accessible via elevator. In the area of Calgary known as Motel Village where we are located, every building around is is next door to another hotel, so many of the hotels do not have "scenic views." This happens even in downtown hotels - at those hotels even though you are on an upper floor, you still look in to a fascinating office building.

We are currently in the process of switching out ALL of the mattresses in the hotel, by time you come again, you can be sure that you're on a brand new mattress!

Oh by the way, did I mention that we won the 2013 Alberta Hotel & Lodging Associations housekeeping award? This means that our rooms are among the cleanest in Alberta!

Our Wi-Fi is free! you simply need to ensure you get a password from the front desk to access it. We have gone to great lengths to ensure that our internet is fast and responsive. We also have 24 hour technical support if you need it!

We call our breakfast an Easy Starts Breakfast, in it you'll find items that you will typically have at home. A variety of bread, muffins danishes and cereal, with a selection of coffee tea and juice! Apples are available as well!

Our experienced front desk staff are trained to get you checked in and our of the hotel as quickly as possible. There is also an agent available at the front desk 24 hours a day in case you need to arrive late in the evening, or if you have a concern late at night, the front desk agent is ready to assist you!

I see you stayed with a group! Special group rates are available, simply contact the hotel and ask to speak to the Sales & Marketing department! With group rates we do our best to ensure that all of the group rooms are together (however as you experienced sometimes this does not happen). All groups receive free bus parking, free breakfast, free internet, free local calls & more!

I'm glad you had a terrific stay with us and I look forward to your next stay with us!

Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I've stayed here multiple times in a variety of rooms the past year. I've stayed in the tower suites as well as the "motel-esque" sections with exterior corridors.

The place seems to fluctuate in terms of being busy, so it's good to book well in advance if you can. The tower suites are the most modern and up-to-date -- with queen size beds, dual-element cooktops, microwave, mini-fridge and wet bar. They are accessible by interior corridor. While staying on the 3rd or 4th floor, I often overheard feet running back and forth, and sometimes what sounded like large furniture or equipment being moved. Presumably it's only temporary.

The motel-like suites at the back of the property are more spacious, however they are more dated and worn in overall appearance. These suites have a full kitchen with dinette. The only way to the 2nd floor is by exterior stairs.

There are also the motel-like suites at the front of the property, accessible mostly by exterior walkway. They are also somewhat dated in appearance and the least spacious of the available rooms.

Overall the rooms and whole facility was always neat and clean. The on-the-go breakfast was adequate for my needs. I usually just grabbed some raisin toast, a muffin, some coffee and a fruit. The gym contains a treadmill, an elliptical and a stationary bike. Good for getting the cardio up. Some rudimentary free weights might be a thoughtful addition. There are two exercise mats available, as well as water cooler and a tv. Pool and hot tub are a great plus and usually not too crowded. The internet wifi was quite reliable and fast.

The front desk staff was always cheerful and helpful. I recall Ahmed managing to get me a cab at a most difficult time, allowing me to make my flight.

You can't beat the location, right across from the C-Train, a 500 metre walk and you'll be downtown in 10 minutes. Even with the transit cost($2.75 per direction), still a dramatic savings over staying in a downtown hotel.

This place is not as sexy as the Hampton next door, but costs significantly less and you get a full suite!

Room Tip: Tower Suite Queen Size Efficiency is my personal fav. If you want more room, opt for the motel-styl...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Hello!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about us!

The Tower section of the hotel is 100% non-smoking and is attached to the main lobby. This section features interior corridors instead of doors that open up to the outside. I'm sorry to hear that you heard feet running back and forth,

I attempted to track down what was occurring and was unable to determine a cause. On your next stay, if you encountered any problems, feel free to contact the front desk! One of our talented front desk agents is available 24 hours a day to assist our guests!

The west-courtyard section of the hotel is located in the rear of the property. This section of the hotel is completely separate from the main building and all of the rooms feature a kitchenette. This section of the hotel also contains some smoking rooms. The west-courtyard has exterior entrance rooms, as well as parking spots directly in front of the rooms.

We off our complimentary Easy Starts Continental Breakfast to all of our guests! This breakfast is an easy way to start your day featuring all the amenities you'd have at home. We have an assortment of cereal, muffins, danishes, fruit, coffee tea and juice.

All of our guests will enjoy free access to the pool, hot tube & fitness center, and the entire hotel is equipped with our complimentary high speed wireless internet.

And yes! We are conveniently located a few second walk from the Banff Trail LRT Station! This will allow our guests to access the entire city within minutes!

Thanks again for taking the time to write such a detailed and accurate review about us!

We look forward to your next stay!

Taber, Ab
Reviewed 6 January 2013

On November 17 my husband was admitted to the Foothills ICU. He had taken a turn for the worse following a surgery. I had been staying at the hospital and was exhausted. My Father in Law, with the help of the ICU list of hospitals available for compassionate stay got me checked in. I was exhausted and could barely function. Lauretta was so kind and helpful. The next night I returned at 9:50pm and asked if I could use the hot tub, even though it was closing in 10 minutes. She agreed to keep the room open until 10:10pm.

I stayed at the Econolodge for a week. During that time friends of mine dropped of packages and I needed help with directions, and every evening Lauretta was so kind and helpful. She went above and beyond. The morning desk staff was also extremely pleasant, and even though the rooms were a bit dated it was kept extremely clean and I had the pleasure of a new mattress.

The rates were affordable & at this time, money really mattered. The breakfast was very good.

Overall my stay during a very difficult time in my life was more than I could have expected.

Thank-you to your staff, but especially Lauretta for all you did during my stay.

I hope to retrun to the Econo Ledge Inn & Suites on a pleasure staff, because it was such an excellent expereince when I was in crisis.
THANK-YOU

Tamara Miyanaga
Taber, Alberta

Room Tip: The rooms are accessiblt to the elevator. I chose the hotel due to the rates and closeness to the F...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Tamara M
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 10 January 2013
Hello!

On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise.

Given the very nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding. Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff's efforts, and takes the time to say thank you.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night's stay a satisfying one, The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, it's only through their eyes that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services we provide.

Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 13 December 2012

booked a smoking room for two nights a week in advance, got there and they told me i could only get a smoking room for one night, so they made me move all my stuff to a non smoking room the next day, didnt smoke in the room, but got charged 200$ for a cleaning fee. the room was dirty when i had arrived. i called and spoke to someone there and they insisted that i had smoked in there and refused to help me out at all. AVOID THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank TravelinT0mmy
Hello

Thank you very much for bringing your concerns to our attention.

The EconoLodge Inn & Suites University does have some smoking rooms available on special request, however due to circumstances beyond the hotel's control, the smoking room was not available for the second night of your stay.

The room on the second night of your stay was one of our new rooms in the non-smoking section of the hotel featuring two queen beds. In all of our non-smoking rooms, there is a sign on the room number on the door, as well as a sign in the room that clearly states,"This room is a non-smoking room, smoking in this room will result in a restoration charge."

A restoration charge is not applied unless smoking has been verified by the head housekeeper and the front desk supervisor that is on duty that day. In the case of your room, it was verified by the head housekeeper of the hotel, and myself.

The EconoLodge Inn & Suites University is the recipient of the 2013 Alberta Hotel & Lodging Association's Housekeeping Award. This means that we are among the cleanest hotels in Alberta. We have set very high standards for our room cleanliness to ensure that all of our guests can feel comfortable during their stay with us. In the unlikely event that there is a problem with the room, there is a front desk agent available 24 hours a day that is able to resolve any situation.

If you would like further information, I encourage you to contact myself or the general manager of the hotel.

Thanks again for your review.

EconoLodge Inn & Suites University

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Camrose, Canada
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I CALLED to speak to a PERSON to book an accessible room. I was having back surgery at the near by hospital and as such needed a room that was on the ground floor with exterior access and accessibility features. I was assured there was a room available, told it was ground floor and an accessible room and on the side of the main building. Upon arrival I was given a room on the second floor of the far building and at the very end of the building which was only accessible by stairs. I went back to the office again and again explained that due to my pending surgery I could NOT use the stairs, walk distances, nor was I able to navigate the ice. I was then told I could have a room in the main building with elevator access but that it would be more money. I again explained that I talked to a person so this would not happen but that I would take the elevator accessible room for the same price to which they said that was not possible. When I called in I had also checked to see if the room would be available longer should I be released from the hospital and the weather was bad and it was confirmed that it was. After much discussion, the front desk agent made some adjustments and gave me the room I booked. (She was very courteous throughout the entire transaction). I ended up with complications from surgery so wanted to keep the room as now with a walker and limited mobility this room was perfectly suited for my needs. The person I was travelling with went to ask to extend the stay and the male desk clerk was very short and not helpful at all. He insisted all he could do was give the room in the main building, with elevator access, and at the much higher price. It was explained to him that I could not walk the distance but that did not matter to him. Arrangements were made for me to remain at the hospital as the danger was too great of something happening in the unsuitable room. Finally another room was provided for the same rate in the other building for my other party. The next night when it time to extend the stay, the same deal with the main building being offered at an increased price but a compromise was made to transfer to the second location (again the very professional first front desk agent). I was very upset as I specifically researched this hotel for the type of room I required, I called and spoke to a person and booked exactly what I needed but then had to fight to get what was promised! I was also told that they do not give a hospital rate at that location but on transfer to the other location, they claimed they DID give me a hospital discount. It was the room rate posted on the Econolodge website. None of the dealings were through a third party site or without human communication.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the c-train shake every time train goes by, nicely appointed, clean and comfortable...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family