Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University
US$162
US$144
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus Suites Downtown(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$114
US$194
US$182
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus Port O'Call Hotel(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$113
Hotel Elan(Calgary)
US$130
US$122
Hotel Elan
US$515
  • Restaurant
All reviewscalled motelcontinental breakfasthot tubc trainbudget hotelhard boiled eggssmall fridgeexercise roomrestaurants within walking distancethe breakfast areacoffee makerwi fiqueen bedfront desk staffyogurtlrtfoothills
Reviewed 4 July 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this location back in March 2013, for a mini getaway while he was at school. We stayed in room 231.
Booked online, and requested one of the newer rooms in the renovated wing. When we got there we were steered to the old half smoking, half non-smoking outside wing... Wasn't a big deal, but a little disappointing. I asked them about switching, but they said they couldn't cause it was booked up... College kids everywhere, which meant we couldn't use the hot tub or tiny pool because it was always full.
Our initial, quick inspection of the room, was smelly and dingy. Neither of us smoke, and we were given a non-smoking room, but because it was beside a smoking room everything in our unit smelled of cigarette smoke. It was disgusting. All furniture outdated, and hardly enough artificial light in the room to get around at night. PICTURES NOTHING LIKE THE WEBSITE.
After further inspection of this room we found little black spots under the bed sheets, dirt all over the carpet, hair on the wall and the floor of the washroom, grime build up in all corners of washroom (counter, floor, bath tub) AND blood on the walls in little spots. Noticed dead bug carcasses, like someone had been killing the bugs on the walls.
Woke up the next morning to smelling of smoke and feeling itchy... Didn't think too much of it at first, but started putting two and two together, after bug bites started to form where we itched earlier. We were also exhausted because it was so loud from all the college students staying up late and partying, and getting up early for "pep rally" type things in the adjacent parking lot.
Mentioned this briefly to the staff, but they were unhelpful, unfriendly, and unwavering on their side, and would not help us. I had never been in this situation before, so I didn't really know what to do. Bug bites continued to show up the morning we left.
When we got back home we started noticing the bug bites, and found out that we had brought bed bugs back home with us through my suitcase. Now we have had to deal with this at home, and econo lodge has done nothing to help.
I had called multiple times, and left two messages with the general manager regarding the bed bug issue. All times the GM has been unavailable, and I've had to leave a message.. When I first called about the issue the staff couldn't even find me, as they had the wrong booking info, which said I was from a completely different country!
Don't stay here! You'll end up regretting it, whether you have dirty room and unfriendly staff, or you have to call the exterminator.

Room Tip: Don't - just stay away.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Musk0kaGirl
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Hello

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about the hotel.

I see from your comments you requested a room in the tower section of the hotel, however on the reservation you booked a room with an outside entrance. That is the room that was held for you. Special requests are only requests and they cannot always be honored. In this case, every single room in the tower section of the hotel had been booked and we are sorry we were unable to accommodate your request.

I’m glad to hear that you got the room you booked. We take pride on ensuring accurate reservations, next time if you would like a room in the tower, please choose the room type with the description “interior entrance”. I can also assure you that the pictures on the website were taken in the exact room that you stayed in.

I am extremely concerned that you feel you experienced bed bugs during your stay. We go to extreme lengths to ensure that we do not get infected by bed bugs. All of our mattresses are encased in a bed bug protectant cover, an exterminator inspects the hotel on a monthly basis for pests, and each housekeeper is trained to identify the signs of bed bugs.

We are happy to note that no guests have reported bed bugs in any room at the hotel.

We are very surprised to hear that you believe you’ve been bitten at this hotel as nothing has been reported to us. We have won the Alberta Hotel & Lodging Associations Housekeeping Award 6 times, which means we are one of the cleanest hotels in all of Alberta.

We apologize for not returning your phone call, however we have no record of your attempt to contact us. At the hotel we appreciate when things are brought to our attention right away so we can rectify it immediately. You mentioned this incident occurred in March 2013, this July is the first we are hearing about it. Once we receive a comment, the hotel makes every effort to contact the guest within 72 hours.

Our desk is open front desk is open 24 hours a day, and there is an agent there that is able to help with any issues. We are happy that you reported that there were people making noise in the adjacent parking lot, however we have no jurisdiction in parking lots that do not belong to the hotel.

Thank you again for writing a review about your experience with us. Please contact me directly if you have any other questions.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

Booked in at Econo Lodge for 5 nights. Ended up staying only one night as the room was run down, smelled awful and wasn't clean. The air conditioner was extremely loud and didn't work well. The dirty window in the bathroom looked onto a sketchy back alley and when I closed it, it didn't seem to lock. It made me very nervous.

When I arrived to check in I had to wait 10 minutes before someone showed up at the front desk. The staff person was friendly and explained he had to help someone out. Normally not a problem but a note at the front desk stating he would return in a few minutes would have been helpful to the line up of people waiting to check in or perhaps the owners should consider having more than one staff person.

I knew the place wouldn't be fancy but I expected it to be at least clean. I will never stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mama_bear85

Hello

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to write such a detailed review about us.

I'm concerned about the issues with cleanliness that you experienced during your stay. I wanted to thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I'm disappointed to learn that you're unhappy.

I have brought the issues you describe to the attention of our Head Housekeeper and our General Manager and we have ensured that all of them have been looked into and appropriate action has been taken. We were all surprised about your comments about cleanliness because we take pride on being one of the cleanest hotels in all of Alberta. We have won the Alberta Hotel & Lodging Associations Housekeeping Award 6 different times!

I understand your frustrations that the front desk clerk was not present at the front desk when you attempted to check in, however I'm sure you can appreciate that there are times when the front desk agent must leave the front desk in order to provide service to other valued guests that are staying with us.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns and write a valuable review.

Please contact me directly if you have any other questions!

(403) 289-1921

Reviewed 30 May 2013

I stayed at the Econolodge back in March 2013 for a university student-run conference, which was the 5th year that I have gone to this conference. The staff at this hotel were by far the most friendly and down-to-earth staff I have dealt with in 5 years of going on such a trip, so much so that I would come back to this location in a heartbeat if I were to visit Calgary again, regardless of what my plans were.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Awesometrax
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Hello

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an awesome review about us!

We absolutley loved hosting your conference! Our front desk staff had a blast being part of such a high-brow event ;-) We really wish that this was an annual event here in Calgary

Reviewed 20 April 2013

Guest service, free "breakfast", and the television in the room were below average. The room was 50 degrees F, upon arrival and a window left open with outside temps around freezing. Okay stay for the price. Overall score could be better, and some things overlooked, if they put a bit more into their guest service. A smile and a greeting go a long way.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank wildstarrman
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Hello

Thanks for writing a review about us, we really appreciate it and I'm sure all of our future guests appreciate it as well!

I've spoken to both the housekeepers and the front desk regarding your comments. Feedback like this really helps us improve our performance so the next time you stay with us your stay can be very enjoyable.

I'm sorry to hear that you thought our breakfast was sub standard. Each morning we offer our complimentary Easy Starts Breakfast which features many of the items you would find at home... Coffee, Tea, Juice, Bread/Toast, a variety of danishes, muffins, and cereal. The breakfast we offer actually exceeds the EconoLodge brand standard for breakfasts!

I'm glad you thought you the price was fair. We actually put a lot of effort in to ensuring our price is as competitive as possible, this way you can spend the night, not a fortune.

Thanks again for taking the time to write us a review and I look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 19 March 2013 via mobile

Close to $100: night. Breakfast did not even have eggs or sausage. Only bad coffee and stale bread and muffin. Although staff was friendly. Probably wouldn't stay here again unless other hotels are booked.

However it is one of the better ones on this strip of motels. Last time I stayed one day at the ramada next door. The mattress was bloody. Didn't find out until I woke up and the fitted sheets popped up in the morning.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Vinny614
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

Hello

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about us!

Here at the EconoLodge Inn & Suites University we go to a great deal of effort to ensure that we are very competitively priced. This way you can be sure that you're spending the night, not a fortune.

Our breakfast is called our Easy Starts Breakfast, and it is the perfect way to start your day. Our breakfast exceeds the EconoLodge brand standards for what we are supposed to offer in our breakfast. Featuring a variety of muffins, danish, and cereal. Round off your meal with coffee, tea, juice, and a piece of fruit.

I was looking at your previous hotel reviews and I see that you seem to be accustomed to staying at very high end hotels that probably have a restaurant. At the EconoLodge, we are a hotel that is known for it's low rates and standard amenities, we would not have the extravagant buffet breakfasts that you are accustomed to.

Our friendly hotel staff is available 24 hours a day during your stay. If you have a problem or a question during your stay with us, simply dial 0 on your house phone, or pay us a visit at the front desk.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience while staying at one of our competitors hotels. Here at the EconoLodge Inn & Suites University we recently won the 2013 Alberta Hotel & Lodging Associations Housekeeping Award. This is the 6th time we have received this award, which means we are not only one of the cleanest hotels in Calgary, but in all of Alberta.

Thanks again for taking the time to review us !