“Good value for price.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #73 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Regina, Canada
“Good value for price.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Check in was quick and easy as we had reserved room before leaving Regina. Our room was on the 5th (?) floor of the tower and was very clean. We stored our things and headed out to visit family. Came back to hotel for night and found parking even though the lot was defiantly filling up.
The room was very quiet even with the location close to both 16th Ave (Highway#1) and Crowchild which means easy access to throughfairs. The heat / AC controls worked fine and the unit itself was very quiet. Breakfast in the morning was basic, have had better, but was adequate. If you want a real breakfast there are restaurants within walking distance.
We stayed here for two nights and were quite pleased with what we got for what we had paid. If you want the Ritz then don’t stay here, if you want a good value for your money then this is the place. We will stay here again when we come back to Calgary and need a room.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Tower are quieter and nicer.
1 Thank Trainer019
EconoInnsSuites, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Hello

My name is Rory Siddall and I am the Front Desk Supervisor here at the EconoLodge Inn & Suites University. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a review about us.

I'm glad you found out check in process quick and easy. Each day we prepare all paperwork, keys, parking passes and anything else a guest may need during check in. All we need to do upon arrival is get a signature, confirm payment, and check your ID... EASY!

It sounds like you stayed in our new section, we call it the tower. These rooms are all located on the upper floors, have upgrade air conditioning units, and are away from the main road. These are our regular guest's favorite rooms.

The breakfast during your stay was basic, however we recently spent some time upgrading our menu, the next time you stay with us you will have a larger number of items to choose from.

We work very hard to ensure that our rates remain competitive compared to the other hotels in the area. We are the perfect option for guests who are looking to spend the night, not a fortune.

We look forward to you next stay!

EconoLodge Inn & Suites University

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Lethbridge, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

My brother got married in Calgary June 28 and he organized to have his family and other guests stay at this hotel. 90 percent of the check ins were poor experiences. Some people's reservations were lost, some set for different dates. All guests were supposed to be near each other as arranged, but we had guests in both buildings, every floor and far from each other. One room that a guest checked into still reeked of marijuana from a previous guest. There's only one way up and down between floors, a small elevator that moves as slow as molasses. We were rushing to get ready for the wedding and it took 8 minutes to get onto the elevator. Even when the elevator was packed full, employees would still shove their way in with their carts, even managing to run over my daughters bare toes without even an apology, just an extra push to be sure my daughter was shoved as far in the corner as they could get her to be. Don't try using the stairs, you aren't allowed. They lock the doors and you cant get through them. On this long weekend, they decided to do maintenance nonstop on the pool, we paid to go to a hotel with a pool but never had a chance to use it. Parking lot is a joke, many of us suffered vehicle damage as the lot is too small and tight. DONT try coming in with a full size truck or almost any half ton for that matter. House keeping don't seem to understand the "do not disturb" sign. After a long night of wedding business, we wanted to sleep in but were woken up by housekeeping. I had to double check to see if the sign was still on the door, it was. Channels on the t are slim with not really much for children. My mom checked into her room to find her extra toilet paper roll had been soaked but instead of replacing it, housekeeping just put it as the extra. We were supposed to get a group rate, but no one did. And upon asking about it we just kept getting sent to someone else and eventually back to the same people again, never to receive our group rate Overall, I will never stay at this hotel or any owned by the this company again. I've spent a large portion of my life in hotels, and this was the worst experience I have ever had. I don't expect perfect, but I also don't expect anything like this.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels may offer a better experience
2 Thank Randal84
EconoInnsSuites, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Randal

My name is Rory Siddall and I am the Front Desk Supervisor here at the EconoLodge Inn & Suites University. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with us.

I’m sorry to hear that there were problems with the group reservations. All reservations were booked individually and many guests actually booked their rooms in different buildings as they did not tell the front desk that they were part of a group; thankfully we were able to accommodate these guests last minute and upgrade them for free into the same building as the rest of the group.

All of the rooms that booked their rooms within the booking window, received the group rate. Many rooms booked their rooms very last minute, and the booking window had been closed for many weeks. The rooms that missed the booking window did not receive the group rate.

Our pool was having mechanical trouble during your stay. While it was not our choice to close the pool it was necessary and we made arrangements at our sister property a few steps away from our front door and many of our guests were thrilled to have access to the waterslide.

It is unfortunate that you suffered vehicle damage, please note we work closely with the Calgary Police Service and assist in anything they require.

As per Calgary Fire Regulations we are required to restrict access to rooms from the stair cases. However guests are more than welcome to use the stairs to go down from their rooms.
Thank you for bringing your concerns about your housekeeping service to our attention. This is not typical of our high standards and I have informed our head housekeeper.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review about us

EconoLodge Inn & Suites University

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Somewhere in Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I thought I should write a review because I have stayed 3 times now. This is a low-quality motel offering low room rates in the University-Banff Trail area. It offers free parking and "free breakfast and Internet." The "free breakfast" is horrible. The "free Internet" is awful. Rooms are the typical motel type. I must state that in all the rooms I stayed, there was no problem with the cooling or heating or anything in general. It is good place for staying in that area, if you do not spend much time in the room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
EconoInnsSuites, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Hello

My name is Rory Siddall and I am the Front Desk Supervisor here at the EconoLodge Inn & Suites University. Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy day to write us a review.

I'm happy to hear that you agree that our room rates are low. We do our best to ensure that our rates remain as competitive as possible, so our guests can spend the night, not a fortune.

We have heard a few comments about our breakfast not being up to guests standards in reviews like yours. We listened to these reviews, which is why we just finished a large overhaul of our entire breakfast menu. Next time you stay with us you will see an array of new breakfast items!

I'm sorry to hear that you found our internet slow, this is very surprising to me. I personally work very closely with our guest internet supplier to ensure we have absolutely no internet problems here at the hotel. If this happens again, contact our front desk where an agent will be able to provide you with technical support.

Here at the EconoLodge Inn & Suites University, we have both motel style rooms, and hotel style rooms. If you would like your room to be indoors (hotel style), simply ask for a "Tower" room, whilst booking your reservation.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to serving you again!

Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Reasonable price, bigger rooms, comfy beds! Spacious bathrooms.
Kitchenette room is ok, with basic appliances.
Complimentary breakfast is basic. Nothing much to eat actually. Cleanliness average.

Easy to get around Calgary. Will return due to reasonable pricing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EconoInnsSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback is important to us and I can assure you that we are looking forward to making adjustments to our breakfast. Hopefully the next time you come to Calgary we can reach a 5 out of 5 and exceed your expectations!
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

On check in - it did not appear the room had been prepared by a professional.

The bed was very poorly made up - definitely no hospital corners here ... everything stuffed under the mattress in big bunches - including in several places, the bedskirt.

Pulling the covers back to get into bed UN-made the entire thing - and we had to re-truck the flat bottom sheet before getting into bed. We woke with that same bottom sheet bunched up under our backs.

Room became hot and stuffy very quickly without the A/C running - and bed had only one thin blanket.

There was stray pubic hair in the (dry) bathtub and a disgusting ring of brown under the rim of the toilet - that was visible from the bed.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
EconoInnsSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. On behalf of our staff I do apologize for failing to meet your expectations and I can assure you this is not the level of service we require of our staff. As a Choice Hotel we are mandated to provide the new Refreshingly Easy Bedding program that was rolled out in January of this year; consequently it is disappointing to hear you did not like it. Your feedback on this new initiative is valuable and we shall pass it on to Choice Hotels. We do have staff available to assist guests 24 hours should they have any issues with their rooms and our General Manager would like to discuss your concerns further if you would like so we can ensure these types of issues do not happen again. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to have the opportunity to redeem ourselves the next time you come to Calgary.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

My family stayed over here during the spring break. The room was clean and quiet. (And considering our room was only a few doors down from the main road I was impressed we hardly ever heard the traffic) The staff was courteous and my kids loved the decent wifi. We used the pool and hot tub once. Its a bit small but since it was just us using it it was plenty big enough for us. The wing we stayed in I think is the older section of the hotel so it was slightly dated but for the price I'm quite happy with the hotel. We will gladly revisit this hotel on our future trips to Calgary.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
EconoInnsSuites, Front Desk Supervisor at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Hello

My name is Rory Siddall and I am the Front Desk Supervisor here at the EconoLodge Inn & Suites University. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I'm glad you found the room to be clean. We have very high housekeeping standards and we have won multiple housekeeping awards from the Alberta Hotel & Lodging Association.

The wing you stayed in was our courtyard section of the hotel. Here at the EconoLodge Inn & Suites University we have two sections... The Tower section of the hotel is indoors, guests will take the elevator from the lobby directly to their rooms upstairs. The Courtyard section of the hotel is located outdoors, guests will park their vehicles near their room, and walk into the room directly.

Our pool and hot tub are continuously monitored to ensure that it will be an enjoyable experience for all our guests.

Once again, I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to seeing you again.

Bowling Green, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

I just stayed here for the first time because of a medical appointment in Calgary. I was expecting a hole of a hotel but was pleasently surprised. The hotel and my room were very clean. Very adequate space. Usually these type of hotels in Calgary are owned by Indians or other Asians and are usually a real dump. I was given a discount because I was in town for a medical appointment and the check in process was very friendly and helpful. ie. the young lady checking us in actually spoke ENGLISH perfectly and was very help when I asked about restaurants in the area. the only shortcomings for this property is the parking is inadequate and a real challenge for anyone who is disabled. The King size mattress I had wasn't the best. For that you'll need to visit the Hampton Inn. The continental breakfast could be improved on (they had a boxing match on the tv during breakfast - made me laugh) but overall I wouldn't hesitate to return to this property.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dr T
EconoInnsSuites, Director of Sales at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Dr. T,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at our hotel.

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, it was a pleasure having you stay with us. Our breakfast is called our Easy Starts Breakfast, which exceeds the EconoLodge brand standards for what we are supposed to offer. We have heard our guests request and extended our breakfast items to feature an assortment of muffins, danish, three types of cereal, oatmeal and yogurt. Round off your meal with coffee, tea, juice, and your choice of fruits. Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.

We hope to see you again soon!