“Checked in and checked out!”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University
Ranked #72 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Athens, Ohio
“Checked in and checked out!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I checked in. Went to my room. Was immediately confronted with a horrid smell, noticeable stains on the carpet, a considerably worn couch,in general a dark unwelcoming room. It didn't appear unclean but in significant need of a make over. I was on the ground floor with an external door. So adding all that together I decided that I would not be comfortable. The photos on trivago (professional ones and other sites sporting the professional photos, don't match the reality. Or the reality of the room I was provided. I checked into another hotel. The service on check in was a little unfocused, but polite. When I went to check out 15 mins after checking it was indicated that I could have a refund until realizing I'd checked in online. Then I was told no refund, but I could have an upgrade. So I'm out of pocket, but I'd rather feel comfortable and happy. I'd rather stay somewhere that the advertised photos match what I get. Yes, it might be on the cheap end, but that doesn't justify the smell etc...re the room.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank dbatty1
EconoInnsSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 19 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I'm sorry to hear we didn't meet your expectations. Hopefully the next time you come to Calgary we have the opportunity to redeem ourselves and show you a better stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
winnipeg
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The front desk was very poor to average , not much help always saying person in charge of that isn't here(that was the answers we for everything we asked) are reservations were totally screw up and they didn't seem to care.We had booked 3 months ahead. The rooms for our group were clean but needed lots of repairs.The cleaning lady on our floor was outstanding ( we had 20 girls ages 8 to 12 )as the pool was not in services during out stay the girls played in the hall with adults watching them,this did not go over well with the front desk and were very rued about it.Also it was very hot in Calgary during our stay and it would have been great if the air conditioning was working during our stay. Breakfast was good the two people working this area were outstanding in their jobs always making sure you got want you wanted.
Would I stay at this location again NO --due to the fact that the front desk personal turned all of us off,other than that cleaning staff excellent along with the breakfast personal .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jdervick
EconoInnsSuites, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 20 April 2015
Hello

I'm sorry to hear that there were issues during your stay. Your comments and feed back have been passed along to the appropriate department.

I hope you can find more suitable accommodations next time you visit Calgary.

Drumheller, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Because I am cheaper than (insert stereotype here), I picked up this hotel on a certain deal website that rhymes with slice pine. For $91 per night (on a Friday) I got a room with two queens, a fridge and a microwave, that also had a decent enough pool.

The good: The room was sufficiently big, and parking seemed pretty ample. Lots of places to eat a short walk away, plus proximity to McMahon Stadium, which is nice if you're going to a football game. The ctrain is right there too.

The bed was comfortable, and there was an extra wall socket just a few feet away, which is needed these days. Can't really comment on the TV, since we never did turn it on. It was a flat screen, at least a 32 inch. As mentioned, there was a fridge and microwave, which both were relatively new. The bathroom was decent, albeit unspectacular.

The bad: The bedspreads looked like they were getting up there in age. Also, the free breakfast was pretty basic. There were only 3 cereal choices and no brown bread. I still ate like some sort of farm animal, but still. More selection would have been nice.

Overall: The property has decent enough curb appeal, has a decent pool, and the nice folks at the desk even held my bag while I went and had lunch. I'd stay here again. I'd even pay a little more to stay here again.

Room Tip: We got a tower room, and it was decent enough.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Hello

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review about us!

I look forward to your next visit

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Do not stay at this hotel. The service was outstanding but the rooms are completely unacceptable. It had a damp, musty odor. Baseboards in the bathroom were held together by zip ties. The carpet was dirty, and the front door appeared unsafe - looked damaged like it had been pried open. There was a homeless person who came by every morning looking for food in the trash cans located outside the window. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jackie m
EconoInnsSuites, Public Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Jackie

My name is Rory Siddall and I am the Front Desk Supervisor here at the EconoLodge Inn & Suites University. I am confused by your review and I’d really appreciate you to contact the hotel so we can get some clarification on the problems you address in your review.

According to our records:
-This room does not have baseboard heaters.
-This room does not have a damaged door.
-This room is on the 3rd floor.

We look forward to hearing from you and resolving the issues you've addressed.

Rory@EconoLodgeCalgary.com

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Burlington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 July 2014

A large room with 2 queen beds. The room was modern. There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room. Breakfast was better than the typical econolodge with 3 cold cereals, toast, juice, and pastries. In summary, this was a higher level econolodge and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
EconoInnsSuites, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Hello Eliot

Thank you very much for writing a review about us!

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our room, many of our rooms are currently receiving new modern upgrades such as new bedding. Also, all of our rooms have microwaves and refrigerators.

We exceed the mandated EconoLodge Easy Starts Breakfast with our current selection, and we are actually in the process of adding MORE items, such as hot oatmeal and eggs! Next time you stay look for these new items.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to serving you again.

Perth
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed for one night after getting off a plane before a drive in the Rockies. Friendly at check-in. Room in the tower was decent sized and clean. Easy to get downtown with a train station close-by. There is some sort of continental breakfast but we didn't try it. Good value.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
EconoInnsSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We always welcome Guest comments and suggestions. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you the next time you come to Calgary!
Petrolia, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is a standard motel-room type place with decent rates for the area. Commuter train, restaurants, etc. within walking distance. Walked around after dark with no concerns. Room was a bit stuffy but very clean. Air conditioner a bit noisy, and poor controls, but not a huge aggravation. Blankets and spreads should be replaced, but otherwise o.k. Breakfast was typical continental cereal, toast, juice, but plenty of it and area was kept very clean. Staff quite friendly and helpful.
Next time, though, I'll stay on the top floor to eliminate the stomping, inconsiderate idiots who stayed in the room above us.
Will stay again when in Calgary.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor and park your car early due to limited parking spaces.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
EconoInnsSuites, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Laura

My name is Rory Siddall and I am the Front Desk Supervisor here at the EconoLodge Inn & Suites University. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback, it's always great to hear what we are doing right, and how we can improve.

Sounds like you stayed in one of our outside section of the hotel. We call this section of the hotel the Courtyard Section. This section features motel-style room, where your door opens up to the parking lot. We also have a section we call The Tower, this section feature hotel-style rooms, where your room is in the main building of the hotel.

I'm sorry to hear that you thought the air conditioner was a bit noisy, and tough to control. I've passed this comment onto our maintenance team so they can check the unit over to ensure that no other guests have a problem with the unit. Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.

I'm glad to report that we are actually in the process of replacing all of the bed spreads in the hotel. As I'm sure you can appreciate this is a lengthy process as we have so many beds in the hotel. Next time you stay with us, this upgrade should be complete!

We are also in the process of upgrading our breakfast menu as well. Next time you stay with us we will have a lot more items for you to choose from!

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to accommodating you again!