Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University
US$181
US$173
Sheraton.com
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Port O'Call Hotel(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$112
Best Western Plus Suites Downtown(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$114
BestWestern.com
US$162
US$142
US$508
  • Restaurant
All reviewscalled motelcontinental breakfasthot tubc trainbudget hotelhard boiled eggssmall fridgeexercise roomrestaurants within walking distancethe breakfast areacoffee makerwi fiqueen bedfront desk staffyogurtlrtfoothills
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The room was perfect, really nothing at all to complain about! This room was as if I was the first person to discover it. There was no smell of paint or anything like that, just a good example of a well cleaned and taken care of room.

LRT is very close as is downtown.

There are three very minor notes though because I can't help it... 1) the room desk shouldn't have that crevice on the edge so it's easier for cleaning 2) need a tv guide (like a Shaw box) 3) hotel staff need a service elevator and you should let guests walk up the stairs if they wish (hint: we have a key)

Room Tip: Only based on others comments, perhaps ask for a renovated room? My room was a recent update for sure.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Seth G
EconoInnsSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2014

Thank you for your review and we are so happy you enjoyed your stay. Your suggestions have been noted and hopefully the next time you come to Calgary we will have the opportunity to serve your hotel needs.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I checked in. Went to my room. Was immediately confronted with a horrid smell, noticeable stains on the carpet, a considerably worn couch,in general a dark unwelcoming room. It didn't appear unclean but in significant need of a make over. I was on the ground floor with an external door. So adding all that together I decided that I would not be comfortable. The photos on trivago (professional ones and other sites sporting the professional photos, don't match the reality. Or the reality of the room I was provided. I checked into another hotel. The service on check in was a little unfocused, but polite. When I went to check out 15 mins after checking it was indicated that I could have a refund until realizing I'd checked in online. Then I was told no refund, but I could have an upgrade. So I'm out of pocket, but I'd rather feel comfortable and happy. I'd rather stay somewhere that the advertised photos match what I get. Yes, it might be on the cheap end, but that doesn't justify the smell etc...re the room.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank dbatty1

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I'm sorry to hear we didn't meet your expectations. Hopefully the next time you come to Calgary we have the opportunity to redeem ourselves and show you a better stay.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The front desk was very poor to average , not much help always saying person in charge of that isn't here(that was the answers we for everything we asked) are reservations were totally screw up and they didn't seem to care.We had booked 3 months ahead. The rooms for our group were clean but needed lots of repairs.The cleaning lady on our floor was outstanding ( we had 20 girls ages 8 to 12 )as the pool was not in services during out stay the girls played in the hall with adults watching them,this did not go over well with the front desk and were very rued about it.Also it was very hot in Calgary during our stay and it would have been great if the air conditioning was working during our stay. Breakfast was good the two people working this area were outstanding in their jobs always making sure you got want you wanted.
Would I stay at this location again NO --due to the fact that the front desk personal turned all of us off,other than that cleaning staff excellent along with the breakfast personal .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jdervick
EconoInnsSuites, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2015

Hello

I'm sorry to hear that there were issues during your stay. Your comments and feed back have been passed along to the appropriate department.

I hope you can find more suitable accommodations next time you visit Calgary.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Because I am cheaper than (insert stereotype here), I picked up this hotel on a certain deal website that rhymes with slice pine. For $91 per night (on a Friday) I got a room with two queens, a fridge and a microwave, that also had a decent enough pool.

The good: The room was sufficiently big, and parking seemed pretty ample. Lots of places to eat a short walk away, plus proximity to McMahon Stadium, which is nice if you're going to a football game. The ctrain is right there too.

The bed was comfortable, and there was an extra wall socket just a few feet away, which is needed these days. Can't really comment on the TV, since we never did turn it on. It was a flat screen, at least a 32 inch. As mentioned, there was a fridge and microwave, which both were relatively new. The bathroom was decent, albeit unspectacular.

The bad: The bedspreads looked like they were getting up there in age. Also, the free breakfast was pretty basic. There were only 3 cereal choices and no brown bread. I still ate like some sort of farm animal, but still. More selection would have been nice.

Overall: The property has decent enough curb appeal, has a decent pool, and the nice folks at the desk even held my bag while I went and had lunch. I'd stay here again. I'd even pay a little more to stay here again.

Room Tip: We got a tower room, and it was decent enough.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hello

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review about us!

I look forward to your next visit

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Do not stay at this hotel. The service was outstanding but the rooms are completely unacceptable. It had a damp, musty odor. Baseboards in the bathroom were held together by zip ties. The carpet was dirty, and the front door appeared unsafe - looked damaged like it had been pried open. There was a homeless person who came by every morning looking for food in the trash cans located outside the window. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jackie m
EconoInnsSuites, Public Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Jackie

My name is Rory Siddall and I am the Front Desk Supervisor here at the EconoLodge Inn & Suites University. I am confused by your review and I’d really appreciate you to contact the hotel so we can get some clarification on the problems you address in your review.

According to our records:
-This room does not have baseboard heaters.
-This room does not have a damaged door.
-This room is on the 3rd floor.

We look forward to hearing from you and resolving the issues you've addressed.

Rory@EconoLodgeCalgary.com