“What a dump!”

Ranked #91 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton, Canada
“What a dump!”
Reviewed 22 October 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel as a family member was hospitalized at the Foothills Hospital. Due to a large conference in town, this was the only place available on short notice. The bathroom was horrible as there was mould all over the ceiling. No fridge, and laundry facilities were in the basement of the hotel, shared with the cleaning staff. It was party central as a football game was on close by at McMahon Stadium. Nobody seemed to care. The worst part was I paid a hundred bucks a night to stay here. I will NEVER stay here again!!!

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank epochlaw
EconoInnsSuites, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
Hello

I really appreciate you taking time to write a review about your stay with us, when concerns like yours are brought to our attention we are able to fix them so that it does not happen again.

As with any hotel, there is somebody at the front desk available 24 hours per day to address and resolve any concerns that you may have. We actually do have newly renovated rooms available, as well as rooms with fridges and microwaves.

There is a sign posted, that states that all laundry facilities are available after 3pm

I would like to invite the author of this review to call Yasmin Peerani the General Manager of The EconoLodge Motel Village to discuss this review further. You may contact her, toll free at - 1-866-501-0542 or yperraniecono@shaw.ca

Sales and Marketing Coordinator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Vienna
Reviewed 2 September 2011

If you want a cheap quick stop hotel at a cheap price this is okay. A bit run down but for a one night stop over it is ok. NOT a place for a holiday stay! Busy location and a bit worn.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank finnsdo
Hello

Thank you for leaving us a review!

We would like to let readers know that we do offer newly renovated rooms. We are also, the proud recipient of the APEX award for best housekeeping for 2011. We also have staff available 24 hours per day should you have any concern with your stay.

Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Booked ahead because motor inn was "pet friendly". When I arrived I did not feel welcome with my dog at all. I was told that the dog was NOT to be left alone in the suite at any time. Rather inconvenient .. how is one to go to a restaurant? This initial reception set the tone for my stay. I felt as if I was not the "customer" at all.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank wej2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to bring this concern to our attention.

Because of this review, we have changed out pet policy;

Pets are allowed to be in the room unattended, however we would request that they not be left alone for more than 4 hours.

New Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 October 2010

We booked this Econo Lodge because of its location and because it was cheap(relatively) for a "get there late leave there early" part of our itinerary. Based on some of the reviews posted here and my own experience, I expected this Econo Lodge to be a little rough around the edges and it was(a little). My thought has always been this: if your paying for a place where you'll be unconscious for 85% of the small amount of time you're there, then I would rather spend money on something else, like a really nice dinner or for a great hotel later on in the trip. As long as there is no filth or vermin, all the appliances are functional-i.e. A/C, TV and hot water-and no disturbing noises at night, I'm pretty easy to please. The hallway did have a sour kind of old cigarette smell but the room itself smelled fine. They had lobby coffee and a very modest continental breakfast in the morning and all the staff we encountered were helpful and accommodating. For "low maintenance" travelers like ourselves, the Econo Lodge had all we needed.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank krokro
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 12 August 2010

The only posive thing is that it was one of the cheapest and that its very good accessable with a Car. But the whole place would need a renovation. If you look behind curtains etc. you will see how this place is rotten. Additionally booking via HRS lead to the situation where I was told that non smooking rooms are more exspensive and I should complain with HRS, anyway "this is what you have to expect if you book the cheapest rates" (Quote). So I had to pay an add on.
Breakfast was very very basic.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank opack
Toronto
Reviewed 9 May 2010

This place is a little run down but the location is quite good. The room we stayed in just did not smell good. Perhaps it was stale smoke (though the desk clerk said they've been non smoking for 15 years) or mold or I don't know what. It was badly covered up with over fabreezing. My wife started to have an aszema attack after only 30 minutes in the room. The desk clerk was very understanding and set us up with another room, however the second room was no different. In the end the clerk refunded us our money and even helped us find another hotel to stay at.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mortaric
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 20 January 2010

Good rates, he staff were friendly and gave us directions to where we needed to go
Location was really good because it is right off of 16th avenue and there is a dennys next door and an LRT station right across the street.
The rooms were comfortable