“Reasonably priced (for Calgary) and well-located”

Econo Lodge Motel Village
Ranked #93 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Calgary is a surprisingly expensive place to stay. Even the cheapest places can cost $100 a night or better. With cost a major factor, in spite of a lot of negative reviews, we booked a three-night stay at the Econolodge Motel Village.

It turned out to be a pleasant stay, and the place suited our needs perfectly. Guests should realize this is an Econolodge. It's not a full service hotel, and it is an older property. There are certainly nicer hotels in the Motel Village area, but they cost quite a bit more. The Econolodge has been decently maintained, and our room was clean and had comfortable beds. There was adequate storage, the shower had good water pressure, and lighting in the room was surprisingly bright. Amenities include cable TV and free wi-fi internet access. The hotel staff were very pleasant. We dealt with three different front desk employees and a variety of housekeeping workers. Without exception they were polite, friendly, and helpful.

We did not have any of the negative experiences other reviewers have mentioned. Some writers here complained about noise, but there was nothing unusual at all during our stay. We certainly had no problems sleeping. Others suggested the area was unsafe. Motel Village is certainly not a beautiful neighborhood, but it didn't appear crime-ridden. The area is well lit, and local people were out walking well into the evening. There were also people who complained that there was nowhere to park. The hotel seemed to be full when we were there, but there were always at least a few spaces in the lot.

I'd agree with those who noticed a strong odor of air freshener in the lobby. The smell was pronounced, but it wasn't anything unpleasant. There's essentially no view at all out the windows (just the parking lot and other hotels and restaurants), but that wasn't the reason we were there. Our room was hot when we arrived, and the air conditioner struggled a bit to cool it down. Once it did, though, it stayed cool through the rest of our stay.

The hotel's location really couldn't be better. It's right off of the Trans-Canada Highway, buses stop right in front, and it's a short walk to the Banff Trail station, from which the C-Train will whisk you downtown in just a few minutes and whisk you all over the city quite easily. (Hint: It's shorter and easier to get to the station by leaving from the back of the hotel and walking past the Best Western and McMahon Stadium.) We were pleased to park our car for three days and not have to deal with city traffic. When we left, it was a very easy drive leaving town to the west.

There's a Denny's and a Boston Pizza (which has a huge menu that includes steaks, ribs, and salads) right next door to the hotel, and just a short walk away you'll find McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Phil's family restaurant, a steakhouse, and local Vietnamese and Indian restaurants. One stop south on the C-Train (and not a long walk either) is a major shopping mall with a huge Sears department store, a Safeway supermarket, a nice food court, a 24-hour Shoppers Drug Mart, and a wonderful Purdy's candy store.

My only real complaint with this hotel would be the breakfast. It is extremely minimal, not really even what I'd call "continental". Basically there's toast or muffins, plus weak coffee and watered-down juice. That was surprising in an era when most hotels are expanding their breakfast offerings. After the first day, we passed on the Econolodge breakfast and instead went to the McDonalds down the street.

While I do find it odd that room prices are higher in Calgary than they are in Toronto or Chicago, we take the market for what it is. In a high-priced city, the Econolodge Motel Village is a good choice. No, it's not the Ritz, but it's a perfectly acceptable place to spend a few nights.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dmbia

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Ok so I did go to this hotel with a realistic view of bang for our buck. Aside from very dust window coverings and our balcony door have no secure lock and it not being able to close properly I didn't care it was a place to stay.. The next morning however (got there quite late), my son was playing with toys and went under the desk when I looked under I saw (not too far from him) a USED yes used tampon applicator and wrapper GROSS!!! My son is a year old what I'd he would have found it and grabbed it and put it in his mouth??!! With that we packed up and left!!! I told the lady at the front desk who said she couldn't give me a discount because I paid via Expedia. She then said she could give me a deal to stay again and I asked her if she thought if I would EVER come back and she said no I probably wouldn't... I mean it was right in plain view!!! Ugh I'm still grossed out even now

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Jgreer107
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

I'm concerned about the room cleanliness issue you experienced at our hotel, it is disappointing to learn that you were unhappy.
The issue raised by you is quite unusual as we have very high standards for cleanliness at our hotel.

Please understand finding something like that is unacceptable to us as well, we apologize.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously.
They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Please be sure that the issues you have raised have been addressed, and the appropriate action has been taken.

The General Manager would like to speak to you personally, you can reach her at (403) 289 2561.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.
We look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

Direct Line: (403) 289 1921 x 4051

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Dirty room, the whole building stinks, people up partying all night, someone was using a hammer below us starting at 2:30 am shaking our room. called front desk, no answer. Hammering and yelling went on for 2 more hours I get up and go down to front desk in person, the 18 year old kid working there explained that he was the only person working that night and there was no security, he looked terrified, which made me feel great because the only lock on our door that worked was the flimsy chain lock. I spent the rest of the night holding my baby that wouldn't go back to sleep next to a lamp I unplugged in case I had to swing it at an intruder. The continental breakfast consisted of dry white bread plain oatmeal and cold coffee.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Ssnowdon12
EconoInnsSuites, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

We went with realistic expectations for the price paid and were happy with it. The rooms were clean and tidy. The location is handy and easy to find; being near the main road does mean a little noise, though not enough to disturb your sleep. The free breakfast has quite a good selection for this type of hotel, though there are only 2 tiny tables to sit at and they are right in the entrance. There is a Denny's right next door, which is open 24 hours and you get 15% discount if staying at this hotel, this was very handy.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Middys

We would like to thank you for taking time for the survey. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed 1 night on my way to the east and the room was clean and the mattress comfortable. It is a old motel but everything works fine. It is also quit and the only hotel under $ 100 / night. Walking distance to restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Foodlover052

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 26 April 2013

There for 3 days room was clean and everything worked staff was courteous helpful and friendly. If you want a place to smoke and enjoy a clean hotel with Denny's right next to it this is the place to go for your stay in Calgary AB.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main level are the best very little noise from the guest's above you
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kerry G
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Hello!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about us!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to your next visit.

Rory Siddall
Sales & Marketing Coordinator

Reviewed 23 April 2013

I arrived in Calgary to work so I just wanted a cheap place to sleep, the reviews on here made me want to stay here but I will never ever stay here again. First if all the girl at the front desk made me pay for all three nights upfront and an additional 100 dollar deposit. So weird it should be either or, so I couldn't even see the room before I paid for it. She seemed annoyed and said there is lots of hotels around here why don't you find a different one! I'm sure the owners would love to hear about that.Also she couldn't work the machines, first of all she said my credit card wasn't working, I thought that was weird but whatever so I go to pay with debit and that doesn't work either. Instead of calling someone or acknowledging that it might be her fault I had to walk to the best western to take out money from their ATM machine. It took 1 1/2 hours to get booked in. And to top it all off the room I am in is gross. There is water damage on the ceiling and the walls are dirty and tattered. The remote doesn't work for the tv and I could go on and on. I didn't expect a great room anyways like I said I just wanted something cheap but you would think that if your hotel is this crappy you would at least have your staff be accommodating. This is the worst experience I have ever had. I stayed at the thriftlodge last time and it was sketchy but at least I got a room right away. And I paid when I checked out, and I didn't have to leave a deposit they just took my credit card number. I normally would never write a review but this is a ridiculous place and shouldn't be allowed to even be running. I see they have an award for most improved hotel I wonder what it was like before!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank TKR1979

Hello

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review. This review has really helped us evaluate the way we operate and how we can improve our service for guests.

First, most hotels do take full payment plus a damage deposit up front. If a guest is paying with a credit card, the amount for the entire stay plus a $100 damage deposit is held on the credit card. For cash guests we take full payment for the room up front as well as the damage deposit.

I apologize that the front desk agent was unaware of how to process a debit card. As I'm sure you can appreciate, when you are new at a position, it is quite a lot of information to learn and retain. This front desk agent was a new employee, and has since been re-trained on payment processing procedures, and check-in.

I have brought your other issues to the attention of the housekeepers and maintenance department and they have assured me that the problems have been fixed.

The general manager of the hotel would be more than willing to speak to you further about your stay, she can be reached at (403) 289-2561.

Rory Siddall