“An interesting place with non-Cartesian rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge Motel Village

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Econo Lodge Motel Village
Ranked #92 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Seattle, WA
“An interesting place with non-Cartesian rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

I flew in late one Sunday night during Canadaian Thanksgiving weekend, and neded a place to stay on may way to Banff the next morning. I have been to Calgary many times, but have never stayed in this area. I search for cheap hotels on the way to Banff, because I wanted an early start in the morning. This seemed to be 1) a good location for what I needed; 2) a very good price (which scared me a little); and 3) didn't have disasterous ratings or comments. I worry about security, being a single woman travelling alone.

I got lost driving from the airport, but eventually found the hotel. The drive along 16th Ave. goes through some seedy areas and some nice areas. I was praying that the Econolodge would be in a nicer area, and it was.

I checked in and was given a room at the south end of the building on the second floor. It was the most interesting room that I have stayed in in a long time! There were no square corners; it was a bunch of triangles meshed together. There was a breakfast area with a small refrigerator and a hot plate type cooker, and kind of a breakfast bar. The bathroom was ample, but again not square. I also had a little balcony outside the room that overlooked a back alley driveway. Nothing scenic, but quiet. The furnishings are a bit 70's - an in-window air-conditioner, old door locks, etc.

I walked ove tot he all-night Denny's nearby for dinner. I felt safe walking there and back, as it is literally about 30 ft. from door to door.

There are no elevators that I could find in the hotel, so if you have heavy bags, you will have to carry them up the flight of stairs. The locks on the door were very old fashioned and there was no dead-bolt or chain. Not good. Also the parking is a little tight. It was hard to back out and turn my car around in the morning because there just was so little space. I suggest backing in to any parking space if you can.

The breakfast was very meager, basically two types of cereal, coffee or tea, orange juice or apple juice, fruit, some bread and small sweet roll-like things. I didn't expect the Waldorf-Astoria, and was quite satisfied with my bowl of flakes and an apple. The price was very, very low, and I had an very good night's sleep, an adequate breakfast, no negative experiences, and was refreshed and ready to go the next morning. I would stay here again under similar circumstances.

Room Tip: If you have heavy bags, get a ground floor room, because there are no elevators. If you are a light...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank WindWolfess

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

The room was comfortable as it had a king-size bed. There was a microwave and small fridge and coffee maker in the room. My only complaint was when the person in the next room ran the shower, the sound of the water was very loud.

I've never seen such a basic breakfast. Toast, muffins, apples, cereal, orange juice and coffee were the only choices.

This hotel would be a good choice for people attending stadium events, as McMahon Stadium is only a block away.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JSOfan
Kiev, Ukraine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

I was in May, 2013 in my bussiness trip. I don't say that this motel is terrible, but at the next time I won't go there. Breakfast is the same all week long and poor. Dark rooms. Everyone of our group didn't like this motel at all. I think there are a lot of better offers in this price area.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
EconoInnsSuites, Director of Sales at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Nadiia P,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I'm sorry we were unable to meet your expectations. We accommodate many guests each evening and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one, consequently it's disappointing to learn you were unhappy. I'm not sure which room you stayed in, but most if not all of our rooms have large windows and our second floor has balconies for guests to enjoy the crisp spring air. As an economy brand hotel we are mandated to offer the Choice Hotels Easy Starts Breakfast, which consists of muffins or danish, juice and coffee. We have heard our guests and expanded our breakfast to offer more options such as cereal and fruit; however we are limited by our economy brand status. Your willingness to share is appreciated and as always helps us improve so we may better serve our guests. Thanks again and hopefully the next time you're in Calgary we can show you a better nights stay.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

This econo lodge was fine for the one night stopover. The hotel was clean and the bed was comfortable. It was quiet as well. It was tricky findind the driveway in to the hotel because there is a divider that you have to enter early. I missed it and had a difficult getting back to the hotel. Thedesk clerk was great.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EconoInnsSuites, Director of Sales at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased that we were able to meet your expectations, you room was clean and our staff were friendly. Your feedback is very important and we hope to have you stay with us the next time you come to Calgary!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We came into town and we were recommended this motel by someone who said it was good but there could have been different management two years ago, the rooms were small, smelled a lot, dingy, horrible customer service!!! When I said to the staff that the customer service needs some work they said I was wrong!! Some nerve!! No one smiled at us, the cards for the room had to be rescanned EVERYDAY!!! So inconvenient!! Even when we had enough and wanted to speak with a manager, no one was around and they took our information but no one has called!! So disappointed, I would never recommend this to anyone, even my enemies!! Horrible, sad place with miserable employees!! Only positive was leaving this place!! Pay a little extra and go somewhere else!! This place sucks!! Big time!!!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
EconoInnsSuites, Director of Sales at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Dear Robertaobroy,

I'm concerned about the customer service and room condition issues you experienced at our hotel during your stay. I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to our attention. We accommodate many guests each evening and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principle goal of our hotels is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that we failed to meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apology.
The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken very seriously, they tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your experience is greatly appreciated and as a result our General Manager would like to discuss with you the issues you have raised and even though we cannot rectify the issues during your stay your satsifaction is important to us.
We look forward to hearing from you and getting an opportunity to redeem ourselves. Thank you.
Red Deer, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

There is a nearly identical review to mine from Snowdon12. We stayed on the 2nd floor and I was awake at 4:30am to some kind of hammering or banging. Since we had read the previous review, I wasn't going to get out of bed and wander around at 5am only to get no resolve. We complained about it the next morning, and we were told this banging happens a lot.
The fan in the bathroom was loud and squeeky, the hotel smelled like air freshener trying to cover up the smoke smell, and the room had wafts of garbage smell. The TV channels were fuzzy, and the "breakfast" was served right next to the check out desk - very awkward.

Room Tip: Don't stay here - if you want an Econolodge, stay in the Inns and Suites. Otherwise, the Travel...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heather M
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Calgary is a surprisingly expensive place to stay. Even the cheapest places can cost $100 a night or better. With cost a major factor, in spite of a lot of negative reviews, we booked a three-night stay at the Econolodge Motel Village.

It turned out to be a pleasant stay, and the place suited our needs perfectly. Guests should realize this is an Econolodge. It's not a full service hotel, and it is an older property. There are certainly nicer hotels in the Motel Village area, but they cost quite a bit more. The Econolodge has been decently maintained, and our room was clean and had comfortable beds. There was adequate storage, the shower had good water pressure, and lighting in the room was surprisingly bright. Amenities include cable TV and free wi-fi internet access. The hotel staff were very pleasant. We dealt with three different front desk employees and a variety of housekeeping workers. Without exception they were polite, friendly, and helpful.

We did not have any of the negative experiences other reviewers have mentioned. Some writers here complained about noise, but there was nothing unusual at all during our stay. We certainly had no problems sleeping. Others suggested the area was unsafe. Motel Village is certainly not a beautiful neighborhood, but it didn't appear crime-ridden. The area is well lit, and local people were out walking well into the evening. There were also people who complained that there was nowhere to park. The hotel seemed to be full when we were there, but there were always at least a few spaces in the lot.

I'd agree with those who noticed a strong odor of air freshener in the lobby. The smell was pronounced, but it wasn't anything unpleasant. There's essentially no view at all out the windows (just the parking lot and other hotels and restaurants), but that wasn't the reason we were there. Our room was hot when we arrived, and the air conditioner struggled a bit to cool it down. Once it did, though, it stayed cool through the rest of our stay.

The hotel's location really couldn't be better. It's right off of the Trans-Canada Highway, buses stop right in front, and it's a short walk to the Banff Trail station, from which the C-Train will whisk you downtown in just a few minutes and whisk you all over the city quite easily. (Hint: It's shorter and easier to get to the station by leaving from the back of the hotel and walking past the Best Western and McMahon Stadium.) We were pleased to park our car for three days and not have to deal with city traffic. When we left, it was a very easy drive leaving town to the west.

There's a Denny's and a Boston Pizza (which has a huge menu that includes steaks, ribs, and salads) right next door to the hotel, and just a short walk away you'll find McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Phil's family restaurant, a steakhouse, and local Vietnamese and Indian restaurants. One stop south on the C-Train (and not a long walk either) is a major shopping mall with a huge Sears department store, a Safeway supermarket, a nice food court, a 24-hour Shoppers Drug Mart, and a wonderful Purdy's candy store.

My only real complaint with this hotel would be the breakfast. It is extremely minimal, not really even what I'd call "continental". Basically there's toast or muffins, plus weak coffee and watered-down juice. That was surprising in an era when most hotels are expanding their breakfast offerings. After the first day, we passed on the Econolodge breakfast and instead went to the McDonalds down the street.

While I do find it odd that room prices are higher in Calgary than they are in Toronto or Chicago, we take the market for what it is. In a high-priced city, the Econolodge Motel Village is a good choice. No, it's not the Ritz, but it's a perfectly acceptable place to spend a few nights.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family