“showing age and lack of care”

Econo Lodge Motel Village
Ranked #91 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton, Canada
“showing age and lack of care”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

this place is poorly run . they don't seem to stay on top of things. it is barely just ok. breakfast not up to par with similar hotels. I will look else where next time . many other choices right along side.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
EconoInnsSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations and you didn't enjoy your stay. As a Choice Hotels Economy property we are mandated to offer the Easy Starts Breakfast which consists of coffee, juice, 1 type of bread and 1 type of sweetbread. Through feedback from our guests we offer an expanded version offering coffee, tea, juice, 2 types of bread, muffins, cereal and yogurt. We also offer our guests discounts at restaurants in the area for those guests who would prefer a hot alternative. We are an older property; however we are pleased to note that we just replaced all the carpet in our common areas, hallways and in some rooms, we have put in all new flat screen tv's, and we have introduced our Refreshingly Easy Bedding program. We rely on the feedback of our guests and as such we are in the midst of improving our rooms with new items such as wallpaper, furniture and fixtures as well as bathroom updates. Again I thank you for your feedback and hopefully we will have the opportunity to redeem ourselves and serve your accommodation needs in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2014

If i could rate this motel a zero I would. Had an appt at Foothills hospital and also had my dog with me, so i thought oh this is great close by the hospital and pet friendly wonderful... NOT!!!!
Checked in the motel was like a sauna yes very very hot. I am sweating and my dog's tongue is hanging out to the floor. The room unbelievable super intense hot. So went to the front desk (oh by the way the temperture that day was 16 C) I asked if the could do something about the heat they said they would check it out (also asked for a fan to cool the room down) no such thing and could do nothing about the heat. Ok, so a very bad sleep for my dog and I. next day checked out and got a lecture from the girl whom I think was the manager. She drilled me on how i booked the hotel. i said online. then told me i did it wrong. I would not stay at this motel ever again!!!!!!!! Stay away especially if you have a dog with you. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Room Tip: dont stay at this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days.
The room looked old and since there was a door leading directly outside (but was closed off), this room felt like a motel room.
The room as well as the bathroom were clean nonetheless.

The walls were quite thin and although we didn't have any problems the first 2 nights, the last night some drunk and noisy guys booked the room next to us. We didn't have a good night sleep that night, but didn't bother to complain.

All rooms had fast wireless internet but during my stay the access point in the back of the hotel had issues. They would contact someone who could solve it, because it was most probably a hardware issue.

The breakfast was not really what I was used to.
This was very basic (toast, cheese, meat, yoghurt, corn flakes, fruit) and what surprised me was that it was set out in the lobby. I actually didn't see it at first.

Another option, which I would recommend is going nextdoors to Denny's. People staying at the hotel get a 10% discount on everything if I remember correctly.

All in all, it has been an ok stay.
It was what I expected.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

I booked the room on the 7th of jan ... And the receptionist was really rude and unprofessional. When my friend and I reached the Lodge around midnight on the 8th after a long trip we were emotionally distressed by the front desk clerk.He was also rude and seemed annoyed to have to deal with us. He told us that yes we had made a reservation but we couldn't use our debit-credit or cash to pay for the room so we should leave and find another place to stay for the night.We were so mad because when booking the room the receptionist did not tell me that we will be refused service if I didn't have a credit card.I had told her that I had a debit-credit,she was okay with it and she failed to let me know how exactly things would turn out,she mislead me saying I'll be fine with that method of payment.Now imagine you get to Calgary around midnight for the first time for health matters you don't know anyone in town and they tell you to look for somewhere else to spend the night like really?Customer service was just poor.I don't know what I would have done if I wasn't with my best friend she paid for our stay and the deposit,but she never got her deposit money back.With the poor customer service experienced,the last thing we want is to get in contact with the people of this company,they can keep the money,and invest it in training their employees before they loose any more customers,because what's for sure is that my friend and I are never coming back to that place and I can never ever refer that place to anyone.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Mafuta M
Invermere, Canada
Reviewed 7 December 2013

NOT BAD But housekeeping needs a huge improvement. Our room was dusty. There was a water bottle behind night stand. Bedding was clean ......PHEW. Wall paper peeling in areas of room. The chain bolt on door fell off. Holding with one screw. we picked it up and put it back on. haha we only had power to one part of the room. Called to front desk. She had to reset a breaker. Woke in the the night ....again NO power except in bathroom. Called down to front desk and they reset the breaker. Over all we had a good laugh. The young lady at front
desk was very friendly :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank summermom2013
EconoInnsSuites, Manager at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear summermom2013,

We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience with us. I would like to share that our hotel is currently going through some renovations, and hope you consider staying with us the next time you are in Calgary so we can give you a better experience. Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention, your satisfaction is important to us please be assured that the issues you've raised have been addressed.

We look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

Jeeti Malhi
Sales & Marketing Coordinator
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

I think this hotel is better than the other that I've been Calgary 3 times. King size and large room. Bit cold in the room it was. But no complain. And I just wanted to sleep for the nights. I'm pretty happy I got a king size bed. I think I will be back this hotel in the future.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
EconoInnsSuites, Manager at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear 543ka,

Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience. We are sorry to hear it was a little chilly in your room, next time you stay with us please let us know and we will be happy to adjust the temperature to make your stay more comfortable!
Alberta
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed 1 night Oct 25. I called the night prior and booked for 4 Adults. They told me the price was $109.00 plus tax. When we arrived the manager told us they had quoted the wrong price.
It would be an extra ten dollars. Please train your staff as to the correct prices. Ten dollars wont break us. It is just the principle I object to. The room was small and old and very, dusty under and around furniture. Please check to see the housekeeping staff are doing their jobs. CLIENTS REALLY DO LIKE A CLEAN ROOM. On the other hand the beds were very comfortable, double size not queen but comfortable. Would we stay here again.............Not a chance.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Alberta travel view
Dear Alberta travel view,

We deeply regret to hear that you had an unpleasant experience with us. Upon booking we were advised it was two adults and two children, we enjoy having families stay with us and for this reason we allow children 17 and under to stay for FREE! (with their parents) However, upon check-in we realized your kids were well over the age of 17 and are adults, as our policy states additional adults are $10.00 per person. Our prices are based on two adults per room and are quoted as such unless the individual who is booking states otherwise. As you mentioned, you were four adults checking in, which should have been a $20.00 charge, in good faith we only charged $10.00.

We are very surprised to hear that your room was not clean, thank you for bringing this to our attention as we will bring this up to our housekeepers.

Hope this answers your concerns and we thank you for sharing!