“Stay Away!”

Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station
Ranked #98 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Absolutely horrendous! We checked into our room at 8:30pm and had to be moved twice. Our first room reeked like dirty feet. It smelled so bad your eyes watered.

When we tried to move they wanted to charge us an upgrade fee! I couldn't believe it. It wasn't our fault our room was uninhabitable. After 15 minutes of arguing, he 'did us a huge favour' and let us take another room for the same price.

Our second room was a disaster. Stickers all over the ceiling, cigarette burns in the carpet and it looked like somebody had kicked the door in at some point. The bolt was hanging off the inside of the door. I didn't feel safe at all considering the room doors are outside. After going back to the front desk again, the guy working was extremely rude. We asked him to come take a look at the door and again, after a few minutes of arguing he 'did us a favour' by going to look at it.

Totally unacceptable. Spend the extra $20 per night and stay somewhere else. It's worth it.

• Stayed: March 2012
6  Thank MelBee16
comar18, Front Office Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2012

We apologize for the inconvenience caused . We have immediately undertaken a phased full scale Professional Enzyme Shampoo of all the rooms . Plus ,the repairs as remarked . For the settlement of your complaint please write directly to hojocalgary@gmail.com .Namaste

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Recently my husband and I were booked to stay at this "Howard Johnson" property for three nights. We lasted 4 minutes!! The location is NOT south Calgary, as indicated, rather quite central. It is an old, dirty property on a very busy street which has a new paint job on the outside.
The room was disgusting- dirty-actually found an empty dirty 2L Orange Crush bottle, Doritos, sugar packets, Cheerios, paper coffee cups and stir sticks under the bed; poorly furnished - floor lamp plugged into a random socket across the room from anything, dingy lighting, worn flooring, small room. Bedding was suspect-hair tangled in blankets and on sheets. Door closed with gaps around it (very cold out) and air system didn't work. We did NOT feel safe to either stay or even go back to the office to talk to the management. To say the least, the few clientele we saw did not inspire confidence in us. I had previously submitted this review BEFORE reading any others. I was so surprised to read, over and over again, the same experiences we had. I laugh at the rebuttals by the 'management'. Do NOT believe them. In fact, my husband did not even recognize the lobby in one photo.
We booked this motel because of the chain name. I cannot believe that Howard Johnson has ever checked this property. I can't believe they would want their brand associated with this property.
So that you have a context, my husband and I have backpacked and stayed in my locations in Europe, Asia, Australia and central America. I have NEVER been in such a disgusting lodging.

Room Tip: DO NOT BOOK! Not worth any cost!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank SusanGord
Vishal C, Front Office Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Hi, Thanks for reviewing us .We are truthful enough to admit any shortcomings.After carefully reading your review we've found many false stories & looks like you have never stayed with us. Even neighbouring hotels put "south" in their adress.All rooms have radiant panel heat not "air heat " as claimed. Door gap,hair on sheets & blankets is not true.Lobby looks exact as per the picture. We keep a check on all of our guests as they come to visit downtown,american consulate,saddledome,stampede ground,mitchell eye care etc. Thanks

Reviewed 19 February 2012

I go to this hotel, the heat doesnt work so i freeze all night. I go to check out and the four ladies at the front tell me that the room is heavily perfumed and they are charging me two hundred dollars cause we smoked in the room. I do not smoke and we did not smoke in the room, I refused to leave until they show me evidence of smoking, I argued with them till I got my money back. I would never ever go to this hotel and would never suggest it to anyone. They are money hungry scam artists. Horrible place!

• Stayed: February 2012
8  Thank Sheri123456
comar18, Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Yes, the room was smoked in (we found out when the "Perfume Mask " wore out ). We were at loss ( cost of sanitization & room out of service for 4 nights ) due to your action of smoking in a non smoking room & dumping perfume in the room. There were no heat issues .

Reviewed 9 February 2012

The hotel was so so. It was on the cheapier side, and in a good location for the area we wanted to be in (near Chinook). It has it's perks as well as some major downsides. The stand-alone lobby building was disgusting...when we entered, it stunk like sewer. It was gross. Luckily the rooms were much better. They were actually nicer in appearance than anticipated based on website photos. The room was fairly clean...a couple cigarette burns in our comforters even though it's a non-smoking room, and old food tray under one of the beds. The bathroom was clean and was fairly new (stayed there Feb 2012). The major downsides was pretty tight parking areas, and the radiant heat didn't seem to heat up our room at all....not that the huge gaps around the door helped letting tons of cold air in. It was one of the end rooms where there is one outside door (which was open), then you walk into a lobby with two suite doors. Air came in from under this door, and probably from the sides as well as we could see light through it.

Location, price = good. Staying there in the window = never again.

Room Tip: Check the room before finalizing your booking. Especially in the winter months!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank kdubber10
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I have never had such a bad experience with accommodations as I did with HoJo Express. I assumed by the name that a certain standard would be adhered to, but this is not the case. The free wi-fi that was advertised did not work, the LCD television had only one channel that worked, the patio door did not lock, and the "continental" breakfast consisted of three oranges and some cookies. I was so creeped out by the place that I didn't want to stay there for the three nights that I had booked, but they do not do refunds.

After checking out, I discovered that my credit card had been charged an additional $20. When I called to inquire as to the nature of the charge, the girl informed me that there was blood on two towels and a facecloth. This is a blatant lie! The manager was supposed to phone me back yesterday, but of course I received no phone call.

Save yourself the stress and book somewhere else - anywhere else. This place is a scam and a rip-off.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Anne T
comar18, Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2012

It is very unfortunate that your stay at our property was not pleasant , but we want to inform you that any incidentals charged to your card are for valid reasons. Not to mention that pictures were taken as evidence and can be emailed to you.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

My husband and I chose to stay here because of the Ho Jo name, but have never been so disappointed in any motel! First, the room was run down, and the FREE wi-fi that was advertised on the sign, did not work at all! We needed to do laundry and the drier was out of order (and appeared to have been out of order for some time), we asked if we could use the drier the motel uses for towels/sheets/etc, and were told that it too was out of order!?! What?! We went to get ice and discovered that the ice machine was broken...to top it all off the bed was lumpy, preventing us from getting a good night's sleep! The only nice thing I have to say about this place was that the young lady working at the front desk was pleasant and we felt bad that she had to work at such a crappy motel!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
10  Thank travel0ver35
comar18, Front Office Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2012

Hi, we would like to apologise about your experience .We need to know when wifi was not working.As far as we know we 've had no complaints about wifi & ice machine .For that matter wifi's strength & speed has always been applauded . You came to the front desk & demanded access to professional hotel laundry .Reason , your work clothes are too dirty & dIdn't want to use guest laundry machines .We would like to protest in strongest terms about this mis leading review

Reviewed 20 December 2011

Just like to say that I was at the only HoJo in Calgary and found the people,location to be up to what I expect at other fine hotels.
Never had a problem that was not fixed after I called the "Front Desk".
Staff were polite and kept the premises clean.
Cannot find any complaint that was not taken care of after I notified the "Front Desk".
Overall, I have to say that my stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business