“HORRIBLE” 1 of 5 bubbles

Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station
Ranked #98 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
“HORRIBLE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Terrible! Absolutely HANDS DOWN THE WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE IVE HAD!! Booked a room from hotels.com and coming from out of province. Arrive happy on our HONEYMOON making a quick stop at a cheap hotel for a layover before hawaii. They claim they had no booking from our travel agent, then continue to tell us our price would be double what we had budgeted for. We explain we could not oay that amount and would like it for thw original price. They became extreamly rude and hostile! Offended we would dare to ask for the original price, ontop of the new asking price they wanted a 300$ deposit for 1 night! Every other customer was frusterated and lied to about their prices. They handed my husbandcredit card to a worng person, who thankfully returned it to us. The front end girl lost another customers credit card and they tried to accuse us for stealing it infront of other customers! Left in tears, with no other available hotels in our price range. Ended up spending 200$ on a room for one night at another hotel because we were desperate for a place to sleep. Horrible, rude, dirty stinky place.. if i can save one peraon from a similar experience by writing this review i am happy! Please think twice before coming here.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank bdjdidnfkfikfnfnfo
Vishal C, Front Office Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thanks for reviewing us .We are sorry for your experience .Hearing that we havent got any of your booking .You first reacted no problem but made a u turn . Why make us the scapegoat when hotels.com e mail clearly mentioned.You will be sent a confirmation # later .Which you never got .
I spoke to the supervisor at hotels.com and apprised you of the case who are ready to compensate you .Hope you contact them and get things straighten out .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

I paid for a room walked in ask for a refund right away and they wouldn't give me my money back. room are not fit for a homeless shelter. really you would be better off sleeping in a bus shelter. on top off all this i paid cash, when i called they said 200 deposit when i got there it was 300. the next day they kept my 300 dollar deposit. so at the end of the day it cost me $410. for a night in a hotel l i felt i should have been paid to stay in. i called ho jo and they refuse to do any thing about this. If you want the worst hotel experience you've ever had then go ho jo express inn 5307 McLeod Trail SW Calgary. ill never stay again and im hoping i can save any 1 who reads this the same experience i had with them. what a rip off

Room Tip: any hotel but this one
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank Mitch F
Vishal C, Front Office Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Hi,We apologize for your experience .Catering to 3000 guests every month mostly comprising of business travellers and families.For the comfort of all the in house guests we have strict rules to deter people to party .Breaking the house rules ,smoking and partying will not help.For further clarifications please call me personally at 403 264 0030 ext 128 or hojocalgary@gmail.com

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

angelfeathers
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

Where to begin. Awful experience all around. Think twice before checking in. Four in a room and to even get enough towels was an argument. Room in desperate need of work. Very very run down and smelly.

Stayed August 2013
6 Thank angelfeathers
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Sold my townhouse in calgary .Stayed in upgraded mini kitchen room here until our new home was ready .Inspite of busy times at the motel parking was easy .Loved the location being close to the mall .Not far from downtown though . Rooms were basic but clean . We found staff was attentive and friendly .No hot break fast & pool.Still we had a good a good time

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel.

Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable for each of our guests. Hope to see you again soon.
Thanks and Best Regards
Vishal
hojocalgary@gmail.com
Banff, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Where do I begin with this hotel?
I booked a room through booking.com 2 days prior to my check-in date. I received an e-mail from booking.com that my reservation had been cancelled because my card details were incorrect. I re-booked my reservation again through booking.com. I received a call stating they were having issues taking payment from my card. I let them know I was using a pre-paid Visa and that was probably why. The lady on the phone said to just use the card upon check-in, which I thought was fine. My boyfriend and I drive all the way to Calgary, arrive at the hotel. We don't even get a hello or anything. The guy at the desk simply says "are you the one that was having online booking issues?" I replied "yes". The lady at the other computer (who later claimed she was the manager) promptly comes over and says "well, let's swipe your card now to see if it works". They set up the machine and I swipe my card for an amount of $84.78. The second my card says approved, the lady come out with "you need a $250 deposit" I thought that was a bit high, I've never had to pay an amount that high for a deposit before. Now, I do understand it was a pre-paid card and I would need to put down a deposit, which I was completely ready to do. I went outside to try and figure out how I was going to come up with that amount. My boyfriend went inside to see if we could somehow lower the deposit and she then tells him "you need a $300 deposit". Wait a second here, somehow the amount went up $50 within 3 minutes?
I asked the lady if I could have my money back since I had no way of paying for the deposit since I was unprepared for such a high amount. She absolutely refused saying it states on the site that a deposit is required. I tried to explain to her I understood that, and if we could try to work something out. She just kept saying "no, it's policy". She was extremely rude and when I asked for the manager, she snapped "I am the manager".
Instead of arguing with her, which clearly would have gotten me nowhere, I decided to call booking.com to see if they could refund my money. After talking to them, they told me I had to call Howard Johnson. While I was being tossed around between the 2 companies, I realized my receipt of payment said "not approved", yet on the terminal it said approved. I checked the balance of my pre-paid card and it showed they took $97.49. She took more money than she should have. When I went back into the office I asked her about it and she just said "no, no I didn't". I tried showing her the proof, but she was not interested. She just shook her head and asked us to leave the office. She completely denied the fact that she outright stole money from me. Of course she wasn't going to refund it, because then she would have to admit she stole.
I went back to the car and called Howard Johnson. I ended up speaking with a manager who just said he was going to put in a complaint, and I would hear back from them in a few days. Hopefully this gets resolved and somehow someone can stop this from happening again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank annessa219
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

I was on my 5 day business trip to calgary downtown area . Economical ,Tidy , Decent staff and Location were to the best of my satisfaction. I was a bit concerned about the other reviews on trip advisor . But during my stay all was good . i was surprised to find bus service to downtown every 20 minutes . Did i mentioned great wifi speed

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank vince b
Prince George, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

It is a very dirty. A very run down motel. The room stunk!!!Only one light in the room worked. The television was not working at all. There were ants in the bathroom. The curtains were torn and tattered and dirty. Nothing was clean. The saga begins at check-n, when we had to pay a damage deposit. Attached to the bill were several credit card receipts for various charges which it took 15-20 minutes to straighten out before we even checked-in, After we viewed the filthy room, we immediately asked to check out with a refund. No refunds. The mgr. would not show his face. He left the desk clerk to explain the policy which made no sense because the patron ahead of us got a $400. refund. The clerk told us that Booking.Com made the reservation and charged our card. Not true. We left, then came back to get a proper check out date, because she tried to show that we had stayed there for two days which we did not do. Then, we were charged double for both days having left on the day we checked in. We are appealing that with Visa. We are informing everyone we can about this dreadful hole and total disgrace to the great city of Calgary. We shall contact Wyndham Hotel Group and Booking.com and everyone about this horrible place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family