“Bring antibacterials and antibiotics”

Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station
Ranked #98 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I did business in third world countries for most of my working life. Of course this entailed staying at some horrible hotels. Being Canadian I would have never imagined that I'd be staying at an even worse hotel in my own country. After staying in this pigsty the first thing I did was immediately go to another hotel to shower off the filth I encountered on the sheets, the carpets, in the bathroom and on and on. I wouldn't make my dog stay in this hellhole. I guess one of the reasons this hotel is run at third world standards is that the owners just recently immigrated from one of those third world countries.

I would go as far to say that the only good reviews shown here are written by the owner's family and friends

Room Tip: There is no such thing as a good room in this "hotel"
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank gLoBe-HoPpErMaN

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I had stayed at this hotel October 3rd and 4th of 2013. First off, the front desk would not take cash and insisted my credit card, so be it. I was told the refund would be held for 24 hours after checking out. I had asked and there was nothing wrong with the room, so i was told i would be credited back. It's almost been 2 weeks! NOTHING. There were holes in the sheets, the carpets were filthy, overall im disgusted!

Room Tip: Save your money and stress, rent from a different hotel!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MoMo0423
Reviewed 5 October 2013

A group of friends and I visited Calgary last month for the long weekend and decided to stay at the Howard Johnson Express Inn because of its location. (They are located on Macleod Trail, minutes from downtown and Chinook Centre). Have to say was very impressed with the staff. They were extremely friendly and responded to every concern of ours quickly and effectively. The rooms were very clean and were made up properly, washrooms were clean as well. Incredible value for the price paid, and the staff were very helpful in guiding us to all of the spots that we could visit in the city. Extremely professional in everything. Surprised by the reviews on the site because they're exaggerated and quite frankly, untrue. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My room was very outdated and dirty, sheet in beed seemed to be already use by a previous client, stained. The washroom was a disaster, the maid that is cleaning this place obviously needs some lessons on how to clean properly. Found lost a human hair a all sorts of unidentifiable stains in sink and bath tub... We finally didn't use it.

Room Tip: Look around the area before you select it online - Better hotels where in the are, same price.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cedric L
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was a disgraceful facility. Our room was not cleaned the first day. The carpets were so dirty our socks and bare feet turned coal black if shoes not worn. To take a shower then, the water ran black off our feet. The carpet is in dire need of shampooing. Thick dust coated bathroom ledges. The room is a health hazard. The coffee pot in the room had a broken handle and spilled when pouring. It was not replaced when the defect reported. Even the check-in lobby had a moldy smell to it. Staff responded to our concerns by arguing with us. There was no understanding of the word hospitality displayed during our stay. The Howard Johnson web site says all its hotels/motels are independently owned and operated. Their non-existent licensing procedure is painfully evident at this location. Never again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Keith M
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My wife told me not to.She was in doubt as to what other people had reviewed online.But I did it.Came to Calgary for work .Being a plumber ,was on the hunt for the cheapest option.Which got me here.Reception staff ,was friendly .Even though , they had a no vacancy sign on . They asked me to wait so that they can arrange something .Surprisingly ,they did past mid - night having had the trouble of trying a few hotels before .I found my oasis here.Would definitely recommend as a no frills option.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I checked in late afternoon and returned late evening only to discover at about 11pm that the sheets had what appeared to be blood stains, both the flat sheet and the top sheet. It took some negotiations to request more than just the flat sheet. Eventually I was given a set of sheets. I was assured by the front desk attendant that the sheets were clean, even if there were stained. The attendant refused to understand that this was not proper for guests. As I peeled off the sheets, I then saw that the mattress also had blood stains and all kinds of other stains. The attendant without coming in the room and seeing the stains, argued with me that it was not blood. I requested another room and apparently that night the hotel was full. I was told I would have to wait until the next day to have another room. I refused and had to relocate to another hotel at about 11:45pm. The hotel refused to refund for that night, even though I did not occupy it. The hotel manager would not take my calls the next day. I emailed and his reply was that I refused the change of room and that he was legally entitled to keep my room rate for that night because I apparently occupied the room for 6 hours. I took photos which I included in the email. They did not care as they claim they take the utmost care to provide for a clean environment. It was dirty, smelly and a health hazard. The worse hotel experience ever. I hope the manager reads this and I look forward to reading his attempt of pathetic response.

Room Tip: A tip to help travellers choose a good room at that hotel ? Very simple, if you have the opportunit...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business