“Absolutely loved this property”

Aloft Calgary University
Ranked #42 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Campbell River, Canada
“Absolutely loved this property”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband and I are currently staying at aloft for 4 days for a wedding. We asked for a room at the back as suggested. It is clean, quiet and comfortable. Love the bed. We had our 3 daughters visit with their children and their pool area was a good space for us to visit and have pizza. The front has a pool table and games. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed here recently for one night, and I was very pleasantly surprised with the hotel/stay (exceeded my expectations)!

This is a recently renovated/remodeled hotel, which is very clean and modern inside.
Definitely the nicest hotel in the area now!

Room is very well sized and appointed. Very new, modern, and practical design.
King size bed was great.
Free WIFI (no problem with speed), free safe in room, free gourmet coffee, free parking.

Hotel/lobby staff were very welcoming and helpful as well, as soon as you enter.
Their service and friendliness is definitely noticed and appreciated (hotel manager - please pass along thanks to your staff, and continue this level of service!).

Location is great also, especially if you still want to stay 'centrally' in Calgary, but don't want to be right in the hustle/bustle of the downtown core.
10 minutes by car into downtown, 15 minutes by C-Train (station right out front, easy 2 min walk).

---

Overall was very satisfied with my stay at the Aloft.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to others, and would happily return for another stay in the future.

*I f this review was helpful/informative, please take a quick second to hit the 'YES' review was helpful button. Thank you and HAPPY TRAVELS! *

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Ryan T
Brisco, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I would stay at this location again in a heartbeat. The place is nice, new, friendly. Rooms are clean, comfy and beautifully and simply designed. The indian restaurant had delicious food, the cute indoor small pool was a great place to relax. The bar had a great drink menu, unfortunately closed too early for our liking. There is a 24hr snack bar area and breakfast is served hot from order in the am. Dogs must be welcome as they had water dishes at the entrance. My room (126) was next to a door that led outside and it was pretty loud when it slammed shut, the door was mostly used by staff I believe. Free wifi, underground parking. I recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just finished a weekend at the Calgary ALoft with our soccer team and could not be happier with the hotel. Open, airy, funky, and fun design & decor. Large rooms with ample amenities and terrific, attentive staff. Would book again in a flash and the hotel more than accommodated and welcomed our soccer team + families. Nothing beats a new, clean, roomy hotel...

Room Tip: There is a block of ~4 rooms on the 2nd floor tucked away from the main hallway, yet close to the e...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Kylie O, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Calgary University, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Michelle B,

We are thrilled that you and the team enjoyed your stay with us - we loved having you! We hope that you will keep us in mind in the future. Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Take care.
Athens, Ohio
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I came to stay here at the last minute. I have previously stayed at Aloft in Minneapolis and when I realised I needed to make other arrangements I felt relieved that Aloft was available. The staff are friendly and exceptionally helpful. The hotel itself is funky with lots of open spaces for socialising or sitting and interacting with others - games, pool, bar etc...It is a great option if you're looking for something that enables you to grab and go re breakfast in the mornings and is close to the light rail making that trip into the city or the Jubilee Auditorium easy. Loved my stay. I stayed on a week night so it was quite. The bed was comfortable and the shower awesome!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Havre, Montana
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at Aloft Calgary (University) during the recent Keith Urban concert. When we got the concert tickets we didn't realize it was Stampede Weekend. Very tough to get hotel rooms downtown. Because of another Tripadvisor's comments we went for it. The hotel is easily driven to when coming in from the west. I had phone problems and GPS was not working. I phoned the hotel, and Steve gave excellent directions to the property. Located 1 block from the public transit, it was a snap to get to/from both the concert and the Stampede. ($3/person each way.) Very Modern and trendy. The desk clerk was friendly when we arrived. There was a snack area open 24/7. We didn't try it for any meals, but probably should have had our breakfast there before departure. Also, we didn't spend any time in the lounge, but it looked very interesting. Modern décor, and a gas fireplace on the far wall. The rooms were clean. High quality sheets. Flat screen TV. Our first concern was the package of ear plugs on the night stand????? Actually our first night was quiet, and we both slept well. The second night was another story. A younger group arrived home around 3 and thought they would just hang out and chat the remainder of the night - LOUDLY After our 3rd call to the front desk they were escorted out. I think had we been younger, we may have ourselves gone next door and joined in. The bulk of the guests were early 30-somethings. Upon checkout the next morning, the day manager, introduced herself, apologized without my making mention of the trouble, and offered a free night stay at any related properties. I thought that was great. All-in-all, except for the noisy neighbors we would consider the property again. Just a quick 15 minute trip by train to downtown. Free off-street parking, clean rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carrie_In_MT
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Pros:

I f you want a modern hotel with rooms like I had with big shower space ( so big you could
sleep in and then some ), good shower head ( relaxing, massaging ,powerful water flow ),
flat screen modern TV. with all the perks ( advertising hotel channel, pay per view movies etc.)
excellent spacious, well lit, attractive, clean rooms etc. this hotel is for you.

But, don't get too excited because some people like me just want a place to sleep. I don't need
a modern key lock that is hard to figure out at first. They have a nice relaxing indoor pool with nice comfortable lawn chair, atmosphere. It is not that deep, but, this is a hotel; so if you want a water park, go to another hotel or a recreational pool in town. Don't be like a lot of
travelers and expect "the world" because they are paying big bucks.

Cons:

Lacking, is one obvious resource tool - the yellow pages phone book. This "bible" reference is
included in every room in every other hotel I can think of along with the holy bible. Not, in this place - it is much too modern. You are expected to look up numbers and other info. ( like city restaurant menus etc. ) via the internet. Oh, and don't worry, if you haven't packed your laptop, you can use the free internet in the lobby. If you are searching and phoning ( and don't have a cell phone like me - been there - done that) don't forget to jot a lot of #'s down so as to avoid several trips to the room to phone and back to the lobby to continue searching
If this sounds like "TMI" - too much info to you, now you know how I feel! I'm not paying for this!
Sorry, I'd rather "rough it". And you think the front desk has a phone book. Think again -
They DO NOT! And did they even try to get one so I can relax in my room? - NO.
They could have realized how desperate I was. it's simple, when you are alert and notice
my several visits upstairs and downstairs! and to the desk. I'm sorry, I like a lot of traveler's
am stressed and tired - and I don't even have kids!!!! . These guys didn't even try to locate
safety pins for my room mate - he needed these to attach a bib # to his running shirt for the
Calgary Marathon. Incidentally, a huge portion of his costly registration fee goes to
charity ( free donation ). But, certainly don't expect anything for free - even friendly advice.
from this hotel No, they will not bend over backwards for you because obviously they wok for $ first. This is quite different from the humble hotel I work for.

I will never revisit this hotel again!

Room Tip: Much to expensive and modern for my liking. But, I suppose it is good for business people
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Keith S
Kylie O, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Calgary University, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. Our team has been in touch with you multiple times regarding the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We worked tirelessly with you to correct the issue and resolve the compliant. Again, we thank you for your review. Take care.